Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Landmines and other penalty obstacles

Jeff686

They had a landmine stage locally this summer at one of the matches. The 'landmines' were clay pigeons, and there were penalties if you broke any.

Is this legal? I guess it must be.

Has anyone incorporated other similar props into their stage designs? I've seen the 'carry the dummy' or 'carry the briefcase' before. I'm wondering about obstacle like penalties.

Maybe:

Shoot a steel plate that activates swinging clay pigeons over the shooting box, don't get hit! (safety problem?)

Anyone seen anything or have any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They had a landmine stage locally this summer at one of the matches. The 'landmines' were clay pigeons, and there were penalties if you broke any.

Has anyone incorporated other similar props into their stage designs? I've seen the 'carry the dummy' or 'carry the briefcase' before. I'm wondering about obstacle like penalties.

Maybe:

Shoot a steel plate that activates swinging clay pigeons over the shooting box, don't get hit! (safety problem?)

I saw one that had barrels in the shooting area and the barrels had target sticks on top of them. If you knocked off a stick it was a penalty.

Maybe:

Are you referring to the "Actung! Minenfeld" stage that I put on in September at Tri-County Gun Club? It was a benefit match for a police officer friend of ours that was hurt in an accident, so I took some liberties, but was told later that as long as the "mine" pattern was repeatable for each shooter, there wasn't any problem with it being legal. Their places were marked by spray paint. The penalties were -5 per mine, but because our scorekeeper couldn't figure out how to put in a -5 penalty value (and I know nothing about Easy Win Score) no penalties were actually assessed. It was a fun stage and I think most people liked it because it was "shoot'em as you see'em" with a twist. Hope you had a good time and thanks for coming out and supporting Tim.

Stage in Question

We've used clay pigeons on the ground before and there is always the Cooper tunnel.

I saw a good one at a state IDPA match last year. You started with 6 rounds in your gun and all the rest of your ammo is stationed on a barrel down range. Way down range. At the buzzer you had to shoot 6 steel plates. If you got them all you were allowed to go direct to your ammo and complete the COF. If you didn't "clean the rack" with your 6 rounds... you had to proceed to your ammo via a zig zag hallway (made out of barrels) to get to your ammo.

So if you left a plate you got scored a miss .... and you ended up with at least 5 - 9 seconds added to your stage to get to the ammo. It was amazing how slow people shot the steels after they understood the "price" of a miss.

We also use a "greatest threat" set up. You have four targets all the same distance from the shooter and you have a black cut out of a knife, a pistol, and a AR. While the shooter has his back to the targets.... the three "weapons" are moved around ending with one on each of 3 targets. At the beep the shooter turns draws and shoots the targets in the order of the threat that they represent. So AR first, then pistol, then knife , and finally the remaining "unarmed" target.

Lastly you can use a large popper to open a door or window. In the COF.. the shooters are told that they cannot touch the door (or window) then wire it up so they have to make a shot or more...to get it open.

Edited by MichiganShootist

I have shot several stages where the clay pigeons were sprinkled on the ground and procedural imposed per broken clay, whether you stepped on it or a mag change broke one. The double tap, this year had the sticks on the barrels....

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s93/for...C08Stage2-2.flv

Below is the stage from last months EAGC match with the minefield....I think BOZ stepped on one!!

post-6763-1224620333_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

I have shot several stages where the clay pigeons were sprinkled on the ground and procedural imposed per broken clay, whether you stepped on it or a mag change broke one. The double tap, this year had the sticks on the barrels....

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s93/for...C08Stage2-2.flv

Below is the stage from last months EAGC match with the minefield....I think BOZ stepped on one!!

I like the walk area surrounded by mines, that's cool.

We had a local match where a stage had a train theme. Clay pigeons were placed on the ground to represent the gap between the train and the platform. IIRC, cracks in the pigeon didn't count, it had to be completely broken to incur a penalty.

I shot a stage once that had a clay pigeon that represented a lock on a door. The lock had to be shot before you could open the door. The clay pigeon (lock) didn't count for any points. I really liked the stage. My question is... is there anything wrong with using a clay pigeon in this manner? How about as an activator?

So on these "land mine" type of stages, how does the RO get through without interfering with the props? I've thought of doing a stage like this, but I can't figure this part out. As an RO, I wouldn't want to have to be focusing on my feet -- I'm supposed to be watching the competitor and his gun.

You can add all the landmines you want to in any match I shoot but please do me a favor and NEVER put one of those barrels to shoot through !

I put my fat head in one once and walked around shouting WHAT? at everyone for the next couple days or so.

JK

So on these "land mine" type of stages, how does the RO get through without interfering with the props? I've thought of doing a stage like this, but I can't figure this part out. As an RO, I wouldn't want to have to be focusing on my feet -- I'm supposed to be watching the competitor and his gun.

Depends on the layout. You can see in the video (link to it is in my first post) how the RO followed me.

The picture that is posted with the plank walk areas are simpler and it is actually a much better idea than how I set mine up.

You can add all the landmines you want to in any match I shoot but please do me a favor and NEVER put one of those barrels to shoot through !

I put my fat head in one once and walked around shouting WHAT? at everyone for the next couple days or so.

JK

I hear ya! Shooting inside a barrel sucks, try watching an open shooter do it, damn is that loud!!

Edited by ShaunH

Here's the thing about landmine stages. You need to make sure that you incent the shooter to go through your landmine area. Otherwise, the sharp guy is going to be looking for ways to avoid having to worry about the mines. For instance, in the stage with the walking boards above, depending on the target layout, a person might cut across the corners (unless the course designer leverages 2.3.1.1). Using charge lines (ie, raised lines of some sort) to direct or funnel the shooter into the minefield is usually a good idea - it makes it a bigger penalty to try to avoid the minefield than it does to just get through it.

I picked up 4 seconds on the field in a recent competition by taking a slightly longer (but far faster - because I could run flat out) route around a minefield, totally circumventing the intent of the stage. I warned the MD (who was also the stage designer) about the issue before the match, but he wasn't interested in correcting it.... so.... ;)

Shot one of our local club matches with clays painted like camo making them harder to see and also had golf balls set on tees scattered around to tip toe through.

Also we have had a Jungle Run with trip wires to set off small kabooms. One shooter at a time, cold with no idea what or where the targets were. You could not break a 180 and if you passed them they were misses.

This was a side shoot deal that you had to shoot up all the targets that were planted all around a trail cut though the woods and get to the end of the stage before you ran out of a preset time. Nobody made it through without getting blown up or timing out, 1 guy came real close though. The slow and careful timed out and the fast loading on the run got blown up. :surprise:

I have been involved in few matches that used landmines on the ground for penalties. We typcially asked the scored to watch for broken mines by the shooter so that any possible breakage by the RO/CRO would not be counted. I do not recall any controversy with that method.

• 3 weeks later...

One match at Bend that i went to had these "Landmines". We have 4 shooting boxes like 3 feet apart in a diamond type formations with barrels in the middle, and they had probably, 8-10 pigeons between each back (just enough to watch your feet and reloads). each one broke was a 10 point penalty.

Was a pretty fun stage.

For the stage pictured at EAGC, I happened to RO this stage for my squad. It was easy to stay within an arm's length of the shooter while staying out of the minefield, though you had to leap across the junction of the T when the shooter transversed the top of the T.

The RO really needed to ask the shooter what his general plans were for the stage, or you could interfere with the shooter, or be looking down a gun barrel when the shooter spun around. at one end of the T to go to the other end.

From what I heard about 90% of the broken mines were caused bu mag changes and not false steps.

Mark K

I think we should stick to shooting challenges and leave the carnival stuff alone. based on the posts so far I seam to hold a minority opinion but that's ok. I just dont really care for stages that throw in a bunch of do this that or the other that has nothing to do with shooting.