Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7 & 8 Shots, suggestions **Poll added**

Patrick Sweeney

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing... There definitely needs to be a test of this to see if it's lop-sided in any way on a large level as others have said. I can't recall anyone taking this on yet. Would one of the annual "outlaw" Revolver only matches make a great test for this? Heck make it a Charity match that way if it turns out a one-sided disaster there's still a good cause benefiting ;)

That is why I am trying to gauge interest. I've been know to take on the silly task of helping to put on a match or two.

At our local club, one of the match directors (NRA-AP) is a revolver shooter (he was the last to post on this thread, before I recently revived it)... Another of the match directors (steel challenge) is a revolver shooter too. I'll be playing poker at his house tomorrow...along with our USPSA match director.

I don't know how our clubs BOD would see it, but if there is interest...we can try.

We have an USPSA Area Director that doesn't live too far away from the range. I think he owns a shiny round gun or two.

I would guess that it would take a while to get the minor guys to buy in ?

I don’t think there are 8 shot revolvers that can make major PF as USPSA requires a .40 for all divisions except open.

I also don’t see the disadvantage of an 8 shot revolver in production or L10.

I do see a problem with changing the stage design rules to (no more then 6 shots may be fired from a shooting position instead of the current 8) and that is what it would take to make 8 shot minor fair. Keep in mind a SS holds 8 rounds.

But that is just my meaningless opinion.

My beef is with 38 super and 357 revolvers only scoring minor when Open can score major with a 9X19.

I don't think there are 8 shot revolvers that can make major PF as USPSA requires a .40 for all divisions except open.

This doesn't apply to Revolver Division.

Apendix D5

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major No

My beef is with 38 super and 357 revolvers only scoring minor when Open can score major with a 9X19.

?

Current:

APPENDIX D6 — Revolver Division

1 Minimum power factor for Major

2 Minimum power factor for Minor

3 Minimum bullet weight
No

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length
.38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major
No

I've been know to take on the silly task of helping to put on a match or two.

At our local club, one of the match directors (NRA-AP) is a revolver shooter (he was the last to post on this thread, before I recently revived it)... Another of the match directors (steel challenge) is a revolver shooter too. I'll be playing poker at his house tomorrow...along with our USPSA match director.

I don't know how our clubs BOD would see it, but if there is interest...we can try.

We have an USPSA Area Director that doesn't live too far away from the range. I think he owns a shiny round gun or two.

I'm not so sure.. The ability for Icore shooters to shoot in more common USPSA matches would be a hit I'd think right off the bat. Also for the gamers who don't shoot revolver now maybe this would give them an excuse. I've got access to a 627PC worked over by Carmoney with mousefart loads... it's a hoot! I'll see if a few of the local revo shooters want to do a very small scale test at our local match :lol:

Edited by JoshF

I've been know to take on the silly task of helping to put on a match or two.

I'm not so sure.. The ability for Icore shooters to shoot in more common USPSA matches would be a hit I'd think right off the bat. Also for the gamers who don't shoot revolver now maybe this would them an excuse. I've got access to a 627PC worked over by Carmoney with mousefart loads... it's a hoot! I'll see if he wants to do a very small scale test at our local match :lol:

How far North of Oklahoma City is Desoata Kansas? I just need to check with one more person to run an Outlaw division at a local club. there would be some provisions if shooting the 7 and 8 shot as the classifier score would be ineligible, depending on the classifier. This would mainly be to not corrupt the classier data. I'll let you know how it goes. I will meet with them at this weekend's match. Main goal is to draw people into USPSA and ICORE who do not participate in one or the other. But if we pull one or two from the other division, no harm, no foul. :sight: later rdd

Flexmoney, if you can arrange a trial 6 major, 7&8 minor USPSA revo match I'd be glad to put my 8 shooter through the course. It's about the only way your going to get me out to a USPSA match. I prefer matches such as NRA Action Pistol, Steel Challenge, ICORE and Revolver Division at the Briar Rabbit steel matches where I can shoot my 627 without it being handicapped. Plus, I shoot minor power factor at all of these other matches. It's just nice to be able to shoot what you are experienced with in various disciplines. USPSA's revolver rules are just too inflexible. And do not mesh well with any of the other disciplines that I participate in.

Well, Just got the nod from our local club to try the outlaw Revolver Division experiment. 7 and 8 shots will be able to use their revo to their capacity but only be score minor. We still have issues to resolve like the classifier. we do not want to corrupt the data on the revo Division so we will either have them run their 7 & 8 shots legal on the classifiers or they will not be turned in. There are some classifiers that can only be shot one way so it may work itself out. We would not be able to do this with out the backing of the revo shooters in our club who said they were willing to try it so see if we could get more revo shooters there. :bow: We had I think 6 revo shooters there, would have been 7 but one guy had no revo loads made up :goof: and one other guy shooting his 8 shot in open. :ph34r: Now to beat the bushes with the info before the next match. later rdd

I bought a 6 shot cylinder for my S&W 686-plus, just so I could shoot USPSA. I swap the old 7 shot cylinder in when I want to shoot steel. I'm shooting a revolver because I have always loved the guns and I wanted a change from production. I shoot 38 special minor, and I'm D class, and at a disadvantage to the 625s, but I'm shooting revolver anyway. I tink if any one really wants to shoot revolver they would. Some people are just too worried about how much harder it is. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I voted yes, though I have no high-cap revolvers. I'm somewhat skeptical of avoiding the 'arms-race' as I want to see the technology progress. I also want to compete with a gun that is at least similar to one I carry - and want to carry the best tool for the job.

I suspect that the advantage would be with an 8-shot revolver - at least the way I like to shoot. If the option stuck, I'd probably switch to an 8-shot revolver and feel at a disadvantage only when facing a bunch of no-shoots.

Lately, I've been thinking about leaving revolver division for single-stack for these reasons:

1. My beloved 625's cylinder is peening. I hate wearing out my favorite gun, and hate that my favorite gun is wearing out.

2. I enjoy stages that raise the stakes with arrays divisible by my capacity. My favorite stage is 18 steel plates. 8-shot arrays seem to be the norm.

3. Lack of local competition.

I was in favor of this initially, and am more in favor of it now.Due to an elbow injury it is now too uncomfortable for me to shoot major power factor revolver for the duration of a match. I can still shoot minor PF in revolver all day long. I chose to shoot production division at the 2009 Area 2 championship solely for this reason. Yes, I realize I could have loaded .45ACP down to minor, but that is more handicap than I chose to live with in this category.

Single stack division seems to be running just fine with two capacities and assocaited power factors. I bet revolver division can too! :cheers:

I'm +1 with bdpaz. I put a red dot on my 627, loaded down 38 Special cases with 125 gr lead and I'm having a ball. I shoot against the open types but still got 12th of 15 last time out. There are probably too many gamers out there that would push the envelope. I'm just a fat old man with worn out eyes that enjoy's playing with $1000 toys. :cheers:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I said I paid for them!

7 shot, 8 shot and more! USPSA NEEDS an equipment race in the revolver division. Revolver is the division that most discourages potential innovation. I’ve seen USPSA overall membership and participation grow over the last 20 years in part because of the expansion of equipment categories. Observe what is happening this year with shotgun equipment. Complaining that the shotguns designs of yesterday are no longer as competitive may make for interesting conversation, but I applaud the willingness to experiment and improve the gear. I don’t have any problem preserving categories for traditional or tuned equipment. My 625 should always have a place to compete with similar guns. My opinion is that fear of innovation leads to the IDPA/Bill Wilson approach. In the end, some shooting is better than none but I prefer fewer restrictions. I don’t know of any ICORE matches within 3 hours drive so USPSA and steel are going to be my only revolver options. My prediction is that more categories will bring more revolver shooters. Thanks for asking.

• 3 weeks later...

Well our first outlaw Revolver division on Saturday and it seems no one took us up on shooting the 8 shot, or 7. I could not make it but looking at the scores we had 7 revo guys there and all of them were our ICORE shooters. We will keep it open for a while but next month three of us are headed to the Ark Sectionals to meet up with an Arkie and a southern boy from Illinois. Anybody have news on their attempts? :devil: Later rdd