Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Individual or double long gun cases?

badchad

I use a soft sided double gun case while shooting the match. I can easily carry my double gun case, my shooting bag and a high power stool for additional ammo or whatever else I need. I've never flown to a match, though.

I recently bough a double case for my shotgun & rifle. It is heavy but I got it really for the car ride and not to carry around the range. I have a converted stroller for that. I suppose 2 cases would be OK as well but I got such a great deal on a double case.

I use both now.

I have a Pelican case, then, in that both long guns in separate soft cases. (the shotgun 'case' is more like a sock)

I can take the bagged guns out of the hard case in the car one at a time. Why carry both guns to a stage where it's rifle only? And you can't take out just one at the car (USPSA).

At the stage, the long guns, I leave in there soft case until the last minute, to prevent dust/rain, etc..

The hard case prevents the scope getting banged around.. etc

For drive to travel, I like individual cases that can go in my cart. I may be biased by the fact that I don't fly to 3-gun matches and that I shoot some rifle only or shotgun only matches --- and I like being able to use the same gear for all of them....

Not to drift the thread but has anyone noticed a POI shift on their rifles when carrying/ transporting them in a double case? I have considered getting a double but I have always been concerned about the scope getting bumped causing a shift with the rifle being in a soft case; double or single. Are these cases (Blackhawk, 511 etc) durable enough with adequate padding to prevent a POI shift. My biggest concern having a double case in the back of the car with all my other 3gun crap piled in and something (ammo) falling over on the soft case causing a POI shift while in transit to a big match. Comments?

I had some imput into Bagmasters new 3-gun case. It is still in prototype phase so check out their website for when it's released.

It has a slide in place for the shotgun, a zip open tie down area for the rifle, and three large pockets on the outside mags/gear/ammo. I put my pistol in a soft case and put it in one of the outside pockets.

Then it has shoulder straps so you can put it on like a backpack. Your hands are still free for the B-S bag of goodies and ammo.

The whole thing fits perfectly in my SKB hard sided golf bag that I fly all over the country with.

I had some imput into Bagmasters new 3-gun case. It is still in prototype phase so check out their website for when it's released.

It has a slide in place for the shotgun, a zip open tie down area for the rifle, and three large pockets on the outside mags/gear/ammo. I put my pistol in a soft case and put it in one of the outside pockets.

Then it has shoulder straps so you can put it on like a backpack. Your hands are still free for the B-S bag of goodies and ammo.

The whole thing fits perfectly in my SKB hard sided golf bag that I fly all over the country with.

I saw Bruce's case at the MG Nationals and it's exceptionally nice.

I use a Blackhawk drag bag which easily holds both long guns. It has 2 large outside zippered pouches that I use to carry magazines, bagged pistol, shot shells or what ever to the next stage. I like it because it has padded back-pack type shoulder straps so you can have your hands free for other stuff if need be.

We are developing new ar-15 and 3 gun case. It might be available for the NRA Show in May. It will be made from high tech materials and very tough.

Hope to have more info later.

Not to drift the thread but has anyone noticed a POI shift on their rifles when carrying/ transporting them in a double case? I have considered getting a double but I have always been concerned about the scope getting bumped causing a shift with the rifle being in a soft case; double or single. Are these cases (Blackhawk, 511 etc) durable enough with adequate padding to prevent a POI shift. My biggest concern having a double case in the back of the car with all my other 3gun crap piled in and something (ammo) falling over on the soft case causing a POI shift while in transit to a big match. Comments?

No. I have a TA-11 on my AR and same POI coming out of the hard case with my shotgun.

Does anyone have a link to the Bagmasters web site? All I could find on Google was this retail site: http://www.gunaccessories.com/Bagmaster/default.asp

TIA

Robbie - Unless I'm traveling overnight, I use soft cases for rifle and shotgun. In fact, for most matches there are two or three of each in the car. I've never had a POI problem.

• 5 weeks later...

I use a black hawk double case for rifle and shotgun. No complaints. At ranges where I tend to shoot it is rarely convenient to run back to the car to swap guns between stages. It is a soft case but I've had no issues with the scope so far.

Pelican to hold both to get me to the range (via air) and then single cases and then adjust as the stage needs.

FWIW, similar to another thread, but I've been told through the local rumor mill that USPSA is considering requiring that you have cased long guns while on the range. I asked about the 3-Gun carts and was told that while in those they would need to be cased as well. Pretty annoying actually.

Rich