Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Stage Distance

we're talking mutigun match here. if you have a choice, what is your preference in shooting a rifle stage? i know alot of you like a mix, but if you get one stage, which would it be that you want to shoot?

Edited by outerlimits

depending on target size and shooting position, i doubt anyone would question that the rifle portion of the sportsmans team challenge is not accuracy based, it only shoots to 90yards.

for a multigun/3 gun event 150-350 with various sized targets and various nonprone positions is about perfect in my book.

You MUST to keep shots doable for the majority of shooters, trying to challenge the top is not good for the base. The top will always shoot faster,better, cleaner, etc. Too many times i have seen stages where course designers have said "this will make so and so slow down".....................who cares!! make things doable not nearly doable!!

trapr

As stated previously, rifles are made to shoot longer ranges. Shooting some close in targets on your way to engage the long targets is always fun!

Someone stated in the 3-gun Nats thread about making close in shots hard by making small targets. This makes for a difficult shot, but it doesn't test ALL of the skills of a true rifleman. You need to get out to 300+ yards to test ones knowledge of their guns dope and to add the challenge of calling the wind. That's when it is fun!!! :D

depending on target size and shooting position, i doubt anyone would question that the rifle portion of the sportsmans team challenge is not accuracy based, it only shoots to 90yards.

for a multigun/3 gun event 150-350 with various sized targets and various nonprone positions is about perfect in my book.

You MUST to keep shots doable for the majority of shooters, trying to challenge the top is not good for the base. The top will always shoot faster,better, cleaner, etc. Too many times i have seen stages where course designers have said "this will make so and so slow down".....................who cares!! make things doable not nearly doable!!

trapr

"""""""""for a multigun/3 gun event 150-350 with various sized targets and various nonprone positions is about perfect in my book."""""""""

+1 3 gun is hard.. if you don't want to shoot a rifle,, don't!!!!!!!!! they have all kinds or pistol matches... I see too many Pistol guys, messing up 3 Gun. Step up. or stick with your pistol.

Jim M ammo

Distance is challenging but up close & fast is just so much fun for me. To each their own, I say. I like matches that have some longer stuff but also have some hoser stages. If I wanted to shoot a rifle match, I would, instead I like multi-gun with lots of combinations. Probably of all the replies, Big Brown Dog has the one I agree with most.

Jim, seems to me you really had a big smile after shooting that hoser rifle stage at the Johnson 3-gun. That firebird ran like a champ in there, unlike my pea shooter with overloaded ammo! hahaha. Your smile was bigger after that stage than any of the others, remember? Isn't that why we shoot, for fun? Like Trapr said, the shots must be doable, whatever you have.

MLM

I kind of like those hard rifle targets. It gives me a goal to go after. the poll only had 200+. Can we add a 300-500 yard answer? I would love to see more targets in this range. Maybe even a few out a little farther. (any takers for a 800 yard shot at a match?) I do LOVE to shoot what are basically pistol stages with a rifle. Pure fun! But the feeling of hitting targets at distance is, well hard to describe. When it all goes well, it is an amazing feeling. When it goes bad, I have specific problem to work on so I can get better.

I don't what to hear anybody with glass on their rifle bitchin' about long range targets. :P

I don't mind the occasional hoser stage with a rifle but I really enjoy doing my homework and knocking the crap out of targets at long range. I also get alot of personal satisfaction from hitting these targets with Iron Sights. Nothing like smacking the 580 yd. bonus (RM3G) with one shot.

Probably my favorite matchs are the Rocky Mountain 3gun, a real riflemans match, and the Ironman with its good mix of short to long range rifle targets (sometimes after 30 to 60 shotgun shot and slugs and 30-60 pistol rounds) and the challenge of can you keep it up for 5-10 minutes.

I like any distance with a rifle period, but I think that putting a shooter in akward shooting posistions at anywhere from 100-500 yds is the challenge.

I also think that if you go to the extreme it will kill the bottom portion of the shooter list and make it undoable and frusrate them.

But the feeling of hitting targets at distance

Oh, I see, you are supposed to hit those long range targets. Ahhh, there is my problem! hahahaha. I may try that next time, maybe I would enjoy the long range shots better, too. :roflol:

MLM

But the feeling of hitting targets at distance

Oh, I see, you are supposed to hit those long range targets. Ahhh, there is my problem! hahahaha. I may try that next time, maybe I would enjoy the long range shots better, too. :roflol:

MLM

Hitting targets, blowing cases apart inside your gun, it's all good. :D

Mark, bad timing on this months 3 gun match. That's the same day as the IDPA regional. :(

Hey don’t get me wrong I like a good run and gun hoser room clearing stage. With a rifle as much as the next guy,

But a rifle has the ability to shoot out to extended ranges,

Past that of pistol and shotgun,, hence, lets make sure that skill set is tested,

We can all name a match, that the winner,, of the 3 gun match, is and was the best pistol shooter, seeing all of the stages were, pistol stages. (In reality) If at any time during your run with a rifle you can reasonably engage the target with a pistol…….. It’s a pistol stage.

So out to 100 or better, target size and type, all come in to effect.

Or in limited distance ranges, use smaller targets.

You can only simulate distance to a certain degree.

Drops, crosswind, and knowing your rifle is a skill set in itself, that truly is an art.

This should be tested, in 3 Gun competition. And many times,, seldom tested.

So if you’re a hoser stage guy, how rounded are you? Not meant to offend any one…

But an Ego buster, it could be..

To truly shoot any real long range, you will have to do the math. And test your calculations. For when you go to a big boy 3 gun match. we all like to police up your brass from the rifle stage, after you spray and pray for, 3 minutes or Par time Or until you run out of ammo.

Making excuses that you don’t have a 300+ range, is just that an excuse.

To find my scope dope out to 600 yards, I had to take a weekend and visit a friend. And drive many hours,,,

But now I know that out to 600 yards and from a good stable shooting position.

I can do it! Bring on that bonus, target!!

I have many weaknesses, know what they are and train to strengthening them, is key, this will make you a well rounded 3 Gunner.

I'll toss in a Half nickles worth..........

Where I come from (TX, now TN) Rifles are used for PRECISION shooting, and longer shooting. So why not attempt to test both those skills within the limitations of your range ???

HOP

trapr

+1

There are a good many of us who simply do not have a means to shoot beyond 200 yds regularly or at all. If you have 500 yd + targets you will seriously scew those stages in favor of the fortunate few who have a facility to zero and practice at those distances. And further, higher penalties assigned to such targets just adds more insult to injury, as well as make a stage really bog down/time out.. IMHO

Edited by mpeltier

• 2 weeks later...

trapr

+1

There are a good many of us who simply do not have a means to shoot beyond 200 yds regularly or at all. If you have 500 yd + targets you will seriously scew those stages in favor of the fortunate few who have a facility to zero and practice at those distances. And further, higher penalties assigned to such targets just adds more insult to injury, as well as make a stage really bog down/time out.. IMHO

+100

There are high power matches and MOR matches to test your precision skills at long ranges. We do not shoot pistols to the extremes of either range or precision in our matches, do we now? I am not advocating all pistol range targets only. But a balanced match with say about 20% of the stages going out to 150-300, 50% out to 75-150 yards and the remainder 75 yards and closer seems like fun mix.

• 1 month later...

If I had to choose, I'd prefer mid (long) range rifle shooting over hosing. However, 300y-400y is what I would consider about max (occasional bonus targets further out would be ok, I guess). The furthest I can go for practice is 300y, so I doubt I would even go to a match with many 500y+ shots. It would just be too much of a guess/gamble situation to even make it fun.

Edited by gose

When I think of rifle competition, I think of urban tactical situations. Shots beyond 100 yards are not generally something that you would normally run into. Beyond 100 yards shots would be more stationary rather than engaging and moving about.

Understand I use a Remington 7615P (pump action, ghost ring sights) which is meant to be a LEO patrol rifle. With the rifle or ghost ring sights it is at it's best out to 100 yards unless you mount a scope on it, which it is drilled and tapped for if that is wanted. If I had a rifle with a red dot or scope, then I believe that my opinion might be different.

The way that I see it matches should be fun for the majority of the participants. What might be fun for someone else might not be fun to me, but I would endeavour to do my best no matter. ;)

Edited by Blueridge