Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" or 6" for Limited....

Seth

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a full custom.

5" or 6"? I have an Edge that I'll probably sell to cover some of the cost, so I could go either way. Are the 6" guys 100% sold?

Thanks.

Seth

I have decided to have a 6" built to see what all the fuss is about. They look nice, but will see if the advantages on paper translate to real world performance for me. I would say go with a 6" and hang onto that Edge just in case. You could sell either one in a hot minute for the right price when you decide which platform is best for you. ;)

I am 110% sold on 6" guns, no doubt about it in my mind. No one that has ever put any time at all behind my 6" and can actually call a shot has bought a 5" gun to use in USPSA Limited or L10 since, there have been some guys put one mag through and didn't see the difference and some guys that can't call a shot that didn't see a difference. If you can call a shot and spend some time with a well engineered 6" gun the difference is dramatic, and all of the differences positive.

I'll never go back. But weight has to come off the 6in gun, it has to be as light or lighter than a 5in, and I dont mean a edge, as light as or lighter than a eagle, 34 to 36 ozs. That weight has to come off the slide, off the front of the slide,bushing barrel, 12 1/2# spring, get the slide speed up, fast as or faster than a 5in gun. Then the load has to change, in my experience it takes .3 less powder to make major with a 6in gun, fast powder, TG or VV320 and less of it makes a shorter pluse, faster return. Lighter bullets, 165s. Then the longer sight radius pays off. A 6in gun that has not been lightened up the right way is just a fat lazy pig. Talk to Benny at Triangle Shooting Sports at 361-241-1091, home of the real Fat Free.--------------Larry

I switched earlier this year. The weight on mine is 35 ounces and change. They do have a different feel when the springs are taylored to the individual. I dropped my recoil spring down to 11lbs, my doubles improved with that change. The weight difference between my 6" and 5" is less than 1/4 ounce, I like the way the 6" hangs better. I'm starting to collect the parts to build a second one.

Here it is in the white.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=15725

Some folks who "can" call their shots and have shot well engineered 6"ers just don't like the feel of them them.

I hope to run into you at a match someday and let you shoot mine.

Dave, the added sight radius is the real key benefit across the board, but when it is done in a package that is built in such a way that the front sight track is just superb with overall weight at or below that of a light 5" gun without being sharp recoiling at all the result is mind boggling.

Some folks who "can" call their shots and have shot well engineered 6"ers just don't like the feel of them them.

Dave, the added sight radius is the real key benefit across the board, but when it is done in a package that is built in such a way that the front sight track is just superb with overall weight at or below that of a light 5" gun without being sharp recoiling at all the result is mind boggling.

Howards gun is NICE.

Benny Hill built my 6" (Larry did the grip ;) )

IMO, there are lots of advantages to having the extra inch. Sight radius is a big one, it is inherently more accurate. It's also easier to make PF since the pressure is contained longer in the barrel. The moment arm is different, so if you are used to transitioning a 5", a 6" will dither a little bit until you get used to it on long transitions. To me, tracking the sights and calling shots is a thousand times easier to do with a 6". Preferance plays a part, but the laws of physics are immutable.

I think the 5" has a few advantages, such as easier/faster transitions, but I'm not sure it has anything on the 6" with a bit of dryfire practice ;)

Give it some thought, weight the advantages.

I own a Benny Hill 37 oz. 6", and i love it. I've seen HSmith's 6" shoot, and it looks wicked. I've handled a Kevin Toothman (USSA) 6", that was also amazing. I've seen Radical Precision's 6" too, which look sweet. Those are just some of the guys who pretty much know what they are doing w/ a 6". I'm sure there are more, but those are just some of the common 6"smiths.

FWIW

-LK

I would take you up on it. I have a pretty decent idea of what can and can't be done on a 6" gun, but I'm always up for shooting new guns.

I didn't state my preference of 5" or 6", only that there are enough shooters I know that can really shoot that don't like the feel of the 6" guns. The reasons behind the "why" really depends on the shooter. For me, I have not been able to shoot faster or more accurate with a 6" gun, but then again I still have pretty good eyes. I shoot as accurately with a 4" XD as a 5" model, and the same as with the 4 1/2" XDM. Maybe when my eyes go it will matter. I know many people who prefer a G17 over the G34 also, but logic would say that shouldn't be.

I've always wanted to build a 7" gun. I think a Sight Tracker with a 7" barrel and a commander slide would be the ticket. ;)

Some things matter. and some things just don't. The cool thing about shooting is that you can decide for yourself.

I built one just to find out the fuss as well. I haven't changed the load. Can't use fast powder (shoot lead). It weighs 36.8 but I had no weight limit in mind, just going off of how it felt. Kept taking weight off until if felt right. I run a 12# spring and like it.

I'm not 100% convinced on it yet. I've only shot it in two or three matches. HSMITH knows how it runs though...smokeeeee.

I've still got my 5inch upper and one day I'd like to do a back to back match test. One of our clubs (that shut down) used to run morning and afternoon. That would have been perfect. I really like the handling and sight track just not convinced on the weight that far out from my wrist.

The smoothest match I ever shot was with a friend's 6 inch Dawson. He has three of them.

If I did not have a smoking Kodiak Precision 5 inch SVI I would have Don build be a 6 inch gun.

BTW: Check TGO videos.

6" all the way! Not sure exactly how long I've been shooting my TSS Fat Free Long Slide but it's awesome!

I pick up my 5" EDGE every few years to see if it gets to come out and play but it always goes back in the safe. I should probably just have a 6" top end built for it.