Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

North Korean Olympic shooter caught doping ?

el pres

Yeah, a common drug abused by this sport. Beta blockers slow your heart rate considerably. I used to take them and you would be suprised how much excitement or anger it would take to get even a slight elevation in my heart rate. Definitely helps accuracy.

Hmmm..... It would be interesting to know how someone in North Korea got his hands on a beta blocker. There health system is far from over-stocked with medications from what I understand and I think beta blockers require prescriptions in most contries.

Yep, beta blocker. It goes by the trade name Inderal here in the U.S. Sometimes people who get stage fright will use it before public speaking events. I can see where it would be helpful in an accuracy intensive shooting event. It is a prescription med here in the US.

One issue discussed way back when some were deluded into thinking IPSC was on the verge of getting IOC recognition was the anti doping policy, and the fact that anti-doping policies are so strict that many drugs commonly used to treat chronic conditions such as hypertension are banned - even if you suffer from the malady the drug is used to legitimately treat.

Beta blockers are falling out of favor as a first line anti-hypertensive due to an English study showing that long term use is associated with a significantly increased risk of developing diabetes.

Can't find the article but during the first big controversy over blood doping and performance enhancing drugs an interview was done with a substantial number of Olympic athletes. The question was asked..If your use of "whatever" drug would severely compromise or risk your long term health would you use the "whatever" if the chance of coming home with a Gold Medal was significantly improved.

The overwhelming response was Yes.

Hmmm..... It would be interesting to know how someone in North Korea got his hands on a beta blocker. There health system is far from over-stocked with medications from what I understand and I think beta blockers require prescriptions in most contries.

Remember, in totalitarian countries Olympic athletes are state sponsored. The elite have everything available to them that any millionaire has in the West. Much the same way 13-year old gymnasts show up with official passports indicating that they're 16 the minimum required age.

LOTS of drugs used to be non-prescription in Thailand. Local vendor used hashish on the salad. I'm not sure what was in the monkey ball soup.

Monkey ball soup.....

post-1007-1218810647.gif

How is monkey ball soup any different than mountain oysters?

Read the book "Death in the Locker Room"

Its about the use by athletes of steroids.

Eye opening what some people will do to win.

Not for me.

I intend to be very old when I pass on.

I want the pension people to say "We're STILL paying this guy?"

JK

Merlin, I think the question in that study was even more alarming. Something like, "If you could take a drug that would allow you to win an Olympic gold medal, but kill you a few years later, would you take it?"

in totalitarian countries Olympic athletes are state sponsored. The elite have everything available to them...

Well, that's kinda what I was hinting towards without taking this thread on a left turn into the political arena.

Beta blockers are legitimately used to manage hypertension (high blood pressure), to prevent/reduce the occurrence of chronic migraine headaches, and to control heart rate in various forms of tachycardia (rapid heart rate) and atrial fibrillation. About 10 years ago, beta blockers were first-line drugs for management of hypertension, they currently are second-line, behind or in combination with diuretics ('water pills').

Because they manage heart rate and suppress some of the symptoms associated with the 'stress response', they're ocasionally used to manage 'stage fright', etc.

They are not a common 'street drug' or drug of abuse in the US.

As previously, it is problematic when a drug used for a legitimate therapeutic reason becomes suspect as a 'doping' agent. (That's a medical, not political statement.)

Beta blockers are legitimately used to manage hypertension (high blood pressure), to prevent/reduce the occurrence of chronic migraine headaches, and to control heart rate in various forms of tachycardia (rapid heart rate) and atrial fibrillation. About 10 years ago, beta blockers were first-line drugs for management of hypertension, they currently are second-line, behind or in combination with diuretics ('water pills').

Because they manage heart rate and suppress some of the symptoms associated with the 'stress response', they're ocasionally used to manage 'stage fright', etc.

They are not a common 'street drug' or drug of abuse in the US.

As previously, it is problematic when a drug used for a legitimate therapeutic reason becomes suspect as a 'doping' agent. (That's a medical, not political statement.)

And beta blockers are 'first line' standard treatment for heart attack and angina. Nearly every patient I see in the Cardiac Cath lab is on or will be put on a beta blocker. Inderal has been mentioned, but there are a lot of beta blockers out there: Lopressor, Tenormin, Toprol, Coreg, Corgard, Normodyne, Trandate, Sectral & Viskin are the more common one's I see, but there are others.

Given our aging population and the large number of seniors we see at USPSA matches, a number of folks at your local matches are taking beta blockers. And, as mentioned above, a number of young people take them for migraines or rapid heart rate.

I also think it is a shame that medications with legitimate uses are all banned because of the potential for abuse. Athletes cannot take virtually any over-the counter or prescription sinus or cold/flu medications without risking disgrace.

On the happy side of this issue, if I'm reading the results correctly, Jason Parker of the USA (and the US AMU team) moved into the bronze medal position when the other shooter was disqualified.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

On the happy side of this issue, if I'm reading the results correctly, Jason Parker of the USA (and the US AMU team) moved into the bronze medal position when the other shooter was disqualified.

Now this cuts to the core of the matter, that Jason Parker has won himself a Bronze. That's very cool.

I also think it is a shame that medications with legitimate uses are all banned because of the potential for abuse.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

I agree. IF the shooter/competitor can prove that there is a legitimate reason for him/her to be on a medication such as a long standing heart condition, migraines since early childhood, or something like that and declares straight up front in big, bold letters that they are taking a medically prescribed drug for a valid reason there is no reason, in my opinion, for that to be a problem. I don't a medical condition should keep someone from competing.

So these are advantages to stand and shoot games ?? Would you then get

winded if you tried to exercise while on these BetaBlockers ??

I cant believe that there is a pill for everything !!! :(

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

IME, they don't help in our game. Low heart rate and blood pressure can work against you when you need speed and agility...

I cant believe that there is a pill for everything !!! :(

yes, exercise intolerance is a big problem with some betablockers. i used to be on one to control hypertension, but had to switch to and ACE inhibitor b/c everytime i worked out i fatigued very easily.