Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rant before Road Rage takes over....

Sestock

Things I have noticed

1. Drivers from Maryland, Michigan and Virginia only drive in the left lane, and always 5 miles slower that the drivers in the right lane..

2. Why do people wait until they are in the toll booth to figure out what they need to pay..

3. People in Hybrids with save the xxxx bumperstickers are doing their best to piss off the rest of us, by being the most self centered, bad drivers on the road.

Feel free to add your gripes...

I thought it was the Ohio drivers that parked in the left lane.

Spent the first 22 yrs of my life in OH and the last 8 in MD.

OH is a WONDERFUL place to drive compared to MD.

Since moving to IN 10 weeks ago, I've told my wife I think the move added 10 yrs to my life span. Haven't road raged since I've been here. In MD I felt the :angry2: twice a day at least. MD/NoVA drivers go out of their way to either piss you off or kill you.

-rvb

Sorry to say.. This is a country wide phenomenon....

Just did a 6 state trip in the west... every state, drivers from all the states.. just sucked..

In Yellowstone.. that really seems to attract the worst drivers in the world..

I hate the drivers that do 45 on a 55 stretch of road, then when you get to the passing lane they speed up to 70. Then when the passing lane ends, back to 45. :angry:

YES! that is one of my biggest pet peeve on the road! It's like a power trip thing. I'm like "Look, I don't care if you drive slow. If you feel you are safer driving slow, by all means go ahead, but do so BEHIND me! aka let the other people that chose to drive faster get past you!"

On IH35 South through Texas from Dallas to Temple where the congestion is the worst, you have a continual convoy of beater cars towing worse beaters to Mexico along with RVs driving below the speed limit in the right lane which forces the truckers to pass blocking the left hand lane sometimes for miles. Then you have the A-holes who have decided that the left hand lane is their "chill out" crusing lane driving at or below the speed limit (basically at the same speed as the Mexican used car convoy.) Even though it's a passing lane, they refuse to move over for anything. Combine the two and it's a 2-hour cluster f(*& with both lanes clogged doing the accordian slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up.

I hate the drivers that do 45 on a 55 stretch of road, then when you get to the passing lane they speed up to 70. Then when the passing lane ends, back to 45. :angry:

That's just being a blatant A-hole.

All of you got nothing on NY.

Until you're on the shoulder helping a disabled motorist and then a lady in her SUV stops while IN THE RIGHT LANE to ask directions you haven't lived.

I had no idea cars could do the manuvers I saw them doing behind her as I danced from foot to foot trying to guess which way to flee would make it safer for me.

She also got pissed when the highway patrol officer yelled at her to move her car and sat there arguing with him still blocking the right lane , totally oblivious to the world around her.

And YES she DID get a ticket and probably several judging by the color of the highway guy's neck as he made his way to her car.

The Long Island Expressway just attracts more idiots per square mile than any other stretch of road that I've seen in the entire world.

I've driven in Mexico, Okinawa, Japan, Korea, and a bunch of the USA and the L.I.E. has the idiot driver award hands down.

At one point every highway patrol officer had been struck while parked in his vehicle on the side of the LIE or while writing a ticket there. Every guy.

At least once and some more than 2x.

JK

Until you're on the shoulder helping a disabled motorist and then a lady in her SUV stops while IN THE RIGHT LANE to ask directions you haven't lived.

Hey, in MD I saw people actually go in REVERSE in the travel lanes, on the shoulders, and on exit ramps if they missed their exit or got off on the wrong exit. Saw it more than once.

All places have a-holes and idiots.... it's the per-capita of those a-holes and idiots that makes it hell!

-rvb

Ive allways wondered why turn signals are standard equipment in pickup trucks but seem to be an expensive option on minivans that people chose not to buy to make room for the extra DVD and cell phone charger.

Driving is a full time job. If someone isn't up to the commitment, stay off the damn road. Yes, I drive fast, but it's safer than being next to most of these morons. Just this morning I was watching a lady weave repestedly over into my lane as I approached to pass her. Here's a hint -- if your boss gives you work to do at home, like reading a document for work, don't wait until your drive in the next morning to do it. This ain't study hall.

Whenever I drive in traffic I'm reminded that some people continue to exist simply because it's illegal to visit justice upon them.

When I was in Pennsylvania for a business trip, the one that that irritated me the most was the lack of ability of the people to merge on to the highway. For some reason, they don't understand that if you push the pedal on the right, the car will accelerate. If you do this after you make the turn onto the on-ramp, you can carry enough speed to merge easily with the flow of traffic. Nope. They don't understand that. They creep along till they get to the end of the on-ramp at 35 mph, then slam on the brakes because they can't merge in safely with other cars doing 55 mph. I almost ran into the back of another car because I was busy looking back to see if I had a gap to merge into.

For all its coziness and smallness (approx. 130,000) Eugene, Oregon boasts drivers with two interesting specialty driving behaviors:

1. Red Light Running

2. Hit and Run

The first is just blatant Russian roulette with both the driver's own life and the lives of several others on the road.

The second is a notoriously common occurrence and is a clear invitation to the not-so-four-star little hotel we call the Lane County Jail.

Actually, if No. 1 is bad enough, the driver could end up in "the hotel" as much as a No. 2 offense. :angry2:

I still can't freakin' believe that people in cars have the idiocy to do these two things. I can't believe it. :wacko:

This happen to me again today on my way to the range and the guy gave me a dirty look when I got around him. What is up with these people?

Mark, thanks for reminding me why I like you. Kindred souls separated by a couple of states. :cheers:

No doubt, a case of "Twin Sons of a Different Mother"

:D

====================

Merging? I first encountered this lack of understanding when I lived in Oklahoma about 25 years ago. Folks would haul ass to the bottom of the on ramp, and then stop (!) to check the traffic to their left. Scared the pure hell out of me until I learned to expect it (not that Oklahoma has a choke-hold on this particularly crazy tactic).

"AGKLM"

Aim high in steering. If you can't put it where it needs to go without impeding other drivers, practice down in the back 40 before venturing out into traffic again.

Get the Big Picture. Studies show that most people (none on this forum, I'm sure) look no further than the bumper of the car in front of them, or 100 yards, whichever is closer. That's a recipe for disaster and inconvenience.

Keep your eyes moving. Let 'em rest for 5 seconds and you're already behind the power curve.

Leave Yourself An Out. That's why I don't ride next to people and get highly annoyed with those rubber-band folks that think once you're near them they have to hang on your rear quarter panel as if there's safety in numbers.

Make Sure They See you. If you have to drive with your lights on all the time, or use your horn to get someone's attention, or moon them out the driver's side window, make sure they know you are where you are.

Simply rules, but ones to live by...

Driving is a full time job. If someone isn't up to the commitment, stay off the damn road. Yes, I drive fast, but it's safer than being next to most of these morons.

Having been on multiple trips and many a local contest with Mark, I can say we make damn good time!!

Just yesterday, I was passing a semi on a bridge. Traffic was moving around 50 or so. This guy decides he wants to move over into my lane. It's not like he can't see me. I'm in a full sized GMC pickup. I didn't think he would ever hear my horn and move back over but he finally did. Guess what..... Idiot is talking on the phone. He's oblivious to everything around him. :angry2:

I might have to go ahead and drop the bucks on one of those air horns like they mount on locomotives. Make 'em mess their britches. :devil:

dj

For all its coziness and smallness (approx. 130,000) Eugene, Oregon boasts drivers with two interesting specialty driving behaviors:

1. Red Light Running

This reminded me of the scariest traffic sign I've ever seen. Driving through Washington, D.C. one day I approached an intersection and immediately went to condition Red Alert when I saw the sign: NO RUNNING RED LIGHT ZONE :surprise:

All of you got nothing on NY.

I had no idea cars could do the manuvers I saw them doing behind her as I danced from foot to foot trying to guess which way to flee would make it safer for me.

She also got pissed when the highway patrol officer yelled at her to move her car and sat there arguing with him still blocking the right lane , totally oblivious to the world around her.

And YES she DID get a ticket and probably several judging by the color of the highway guy's neck as he made his way to her car.

The Long Island Expressway just attracts more idiots per square mile than any other stretch of road that I've seen in the entire world.

I've driven in Mexico, Okinawa, Japan, Korea, and a bunch of the USA and the L.I.E. has the idiot driver award hands down.

At one point every highway patrol officer had been struck while parked in his vehicle on the side of the LIE or while writing a ticket there. Every guy.

At least once and some more than 2x.

JK

She must have learned that from the Alanta GA cops, I swear they stopped in the lane adjacent to the disabled or stopped vehicle. The blocked two lanes and ensured a complete snarl up. They certainly did so when I was stationed there from 1992 to 1997!