Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.....

I was doing some work earlier on my new range cart. I put on my safety glasses, got out my dremel, put on a cutting wheel and went to work.

Shortly into the whole ordeal, a piece of the cutting wheel broke off and flew into my eye. How in the hell did that happen I asked myself?? I took off the glasses, ran upstairs to the bathroom, turned on the sink and flushed my eyeball as quickly as I could. IT HURT LIKE A MOTHERF$*CKER!!!!

I went back downstairs and discovered the left lense had popped out and was laying inside the nylon case where I keep my safety glasses.

I threw the glasses and case away. In twelve years since I've had those glasses, that has never happened.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

I'm fine.

Mostly, it just scared the crap out of me. I think I scratched my cornea because I feel like I have someting in my eye even though I don't now after rinsing it out. It's a little red, but I think it will be ok. If it doesn't get better, I'll have the eye doc in my group take a look at it.

I'm fine.

Mostly, it just scared the crap out of me. I think I scratched my cornea because I feel like I have someting in my eye even though I don't now after rinsing it out. It's a little red, but I think it will be ok. If it doesn't get better, I'll have the eye doc in my group take a look at it.

Visit your eye doc, a.s.a.p.

you need to get a good antibiotic prescription, to avoid the risk of infections.

A few years ago a small (but no-so-small) piece of debris fell from the roof, hit me in my left eye and lodged under the eyelid when it blinked. it took me several trips to the bathroom sink to get rid of it, and by the end of this all it had lightly scratched my cornea. Visited the eye doc the day after, and she said I needed a 3-days treatment with and antibiotic cream, 'cause risking an infection there could have possibly led to loss of eyesight.

Keep us posted, please.

Edited by Skywalker

If you aren't at the eye Dr. now... GET THERE!!! You only get ONE set of eyes!!!!

+100

Years ago I had a grinding wheel disintegrate, and pieces of the shrapnel got around my glasses. Thought I was fine, until about 24 hours later when the whole "white part" of my eye was blood red (*that* will freak you out at 2 in the morning, I guarantee it!) Rushed to the emergency room, wait through a stream of increasingly serious doctors, etc.

Turns out that tiny bits of metal embedded themselves in the surface of my eye, had healed over (!) and were now "rusting". They had to get them all out (you don't want to know how), and I spent about 2 weeks with antibiotic creams and eye patches and all sorts of other lovely things.

You do *not* want to bet your eyes on "I think it'll probably be OK". Get to a doctor, and now!

B

While we are talking about eye safety. I had a bunge cord snap back and hit me in the eye. I now have a washer holding a hunk of plastic in place so I can see out of it. Kind of see out of it. It is my dominate eye no iron sights for me.

I use other means to secure stuff now.

Randy

Same thing happened to me a while back. Flushed it out. I have some antibiotic/steroid opth. soln i keep at home that i prescribed for myself.

One of my favorite quotes: "Tis only an eye, god saw fit to give me two of them."

Edited by Bear23

I'm getting it checked out. Thanks everyone for your concern. You guys are a good bunch.

Mostly, I just wanted to let you guys know what happened. How often do you check your glasses before you put them on? I never have before. It's kind of freaky.

I'm getting it checked out. Thanks everyone for your concern. You guys are a good bunch.

Mostly, I just wanted to let you guys know what happened. How often do you check your glasses before you put them on? I never have before. It's kind of freaky.

Get your ass in there... don't just say that to humor us either. Don't make me come over there and B-Slap your ass. :P

I have a similar story: Some small metal particles got around my glasses when grinding. I washed my eye out as well as I could and everything seemed fine. The next day I had light sensitivity. It turned out there were some leftover pieces and they began to rust in my eye. They had to get the particles out and get the rust as well. That was not a fun visit. My daughter said I looked like a pirate though. LOL :roflol:

I was doing some work earlier on my new range cart. I put on my safety glasses, got out my dremel, put on a cutting wheel and went to work.

Shortly into the whole ordeal, a piece of the cutting wheel broke off and flew into my eye. How in the hell did that happen I asked myself?? I took off the glasses, ran upstairs to the bathroom, turned on the sink and flushed my eyeball as quickly as I could. IT HURT LIKE A MOTHERF$*CKER!!!!

I went back downstairs and discovered the left lense had popped out and was laying inside the nylon case where I keep my safety glasses.

I threw the glasses and case away. In twelve years since I've had those glasses, that has never happened.

So sorry to hear that.

What they said about the eye doctor.

Hope all is well.

While we are talking about eye safety. I had a bunge cord snap back and hit me in the eye. I now have a washer holding a hunk of plastic in place so I can see out of it. Kind of see out of it. It is my dominate eye no iron sights for me.

I use other means to secure stuff now.

Randy

Ugh. The other day I was yanking some network cables out of a rack, and one popped loose just perfectly so that the jack hit me in the right eye, too fast for me to close it. Between that and your story, I'm half-tempted to get some non-prescription eyeglasses to wear around all the time.

H.

I use Oakley M Frames with a clear heater lens as safety glasses for both around the house and another pair for shooting.

I started wearing them when I took up wearing contacts, and won't run any power tools, paint, or do yardwork without them.

don't just say that to humor us either. Don't make me come over there and B-Slap your ass. :P

I walked down the hall to our ophthalmologist this afternoon. Everything checked out ok.

No bitch slapping will be necessary----this time. :roflol:

don't just say that to humor us either. Don't make me come over there and B-Slap your ass. :P

I walked down the hall to our ophthalmologist this afternoon. Everything checked out ok.

Glad all is OK. :)

Glad to hear it... though I must admit to some disappointment on the B-Slap anyway. :P

Thanks RePete!

JT, you're not the only one that wants to B-slap me from time to time. Maybe you could just go ahead an do it, I'll give you a credit, so next time when I've got one coming you won't feel cheated!!

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Glad to hear everything is fine with you.

BTW, I too have a spare pair of clear lenses oakley glasses in my reloading/laboratory room: I wear them anytime I'm doing anything in that room. ;)

Thanks RePete!

JT, you're not the only one that wants to B-slap me from time to time. Maybe you could just go ahead an do it, I'll give you a credit, so next time when I've got one coming you won't feel cheated!!

I'll wait until that time comes... it's like you train a dog. Ya have to catch them in the act. :)