Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.....

Based on your earlier email about your "roulette strategy after playing @ Caesars Palace in Vegas a few years ago" (posted earlier today).

Basically, it's very simple. I have tried it out on three accident computer models, and i have never lost both my eyes.

This is how it works. You start off by injuring one eye. then it is very unlikely that you will lose two eyes - at least in the same day...statistically it is like winning the lottery twice in one minute. if you do injure an eye you have a 52.64% chance of losing or injuring your same eye - so at least you can still see.

The odds of losing both eyes in separate accidents are 0.0269%.

I think you understand that not wearing safety glasses is like betting at Vegas - no sense in taking a chance as it is rare that anything good will happen (I lost the cost of a Glock last time i went to Vegas).

Just funning...I just read your Vegas post and found it interesting.

Based on your earlier email about your "roulette strategy after playing @ Caesars Palace in Vegas a few years ago" (posted earlier today).

Basically, it's very simple. I have tried it out on three accident computer models, and i have never lost both my eyes.

This is how it works. You start off by injuring one eye. then it is very unlikely that you will lose two eyes - at least in the same day...statistically it is like winning the lottery twice in one minute. if you do injure an eye you have a 52.64% chance of losing or injuring your same eye - so at least you can still see.

The odds of losing both eyes in separate accidents are 0.0269%.

I think you understand that not wearing safety glasses is like betting at Vegas - no sense in taking a chance as it is rare that anything good will happen (I lost the cost of a Glock last time i went to Vegas).

Just funning...I just read your Vegas post and found it interesting.

Excellent! :cheers:

This is something that everyone here knows and that everyone here has, at one time or another, forgotten. The more often we do something, the more likely we are to overlook something. Case in point...

Several years ago, a fellow I knew told me of his great fubar. He was a small aircraft pilot and instructor. He was so anal about things that even when he was flying all by himself, he used to go through check lists on takeoff and landing - and he never, ever flew after drinking or when he was tired. Recently, he had been returning to his home base and on coming in for a landing, was going through his check list. He came to wheels locked down and his response to himself was "Red Light, check". Just at the point where the wheels should touch the ground, the words "Red Light" flashed through his brain. At that point, all he could so was pull the nose up a bit and brace. He slid down the runway in a shower of sparks. Damage was minimal under the circumstances, and he still has no idea how he could have messed up something he had done hundreds of times.

-snip- and he still has no idea how he could have messed up something he had done hundreds of times.
Complacency.

Doing a task hundreds of times doesn't mean that you are doing that task now. He used a checklist. That's a good thing. When the line item of 'check wheels down - three green' came up did he really LOOK at the panel and SEE three green? No.

We've had a few incidents where pilots have pulled one particular model of our helicopters into a a hover with one engine at idle. The result is an overtorqued engine and about $80,000 damage. Now explain to me how this can happen when there are five items on the checklist and eight visual indicators on the panel to ensure the engine mode is at flight prior to takeoff? Compacency. They may have looked but they did not see.

Back on topic. Safety glasses and hearing protection. We as shooters are so conditioned to using them at the range that it's like zipping up your fly in the bathroom. It's part of the process. But how many of you use glasses and muffs around the yard? Don't think that weedeater can't throw something in your eye? And what about the noise exposure of the mower, weedeater, power washer, and blower. I may look like a safety geek but I don't get style points in lawn maintenance. And I'll be able to see and hear you make fun of me later.