Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People that put BBQ sauce on steaks that I prepared!

North

This is one of the fastest ways not to get invited back to my house. I put in some time preparing my steaks when I'm expecting dinner guest, I just put four NY strips in my marinade for dinner tomorrow.

I just hate it when some knuckle head, just grabs the BBQ sauce and smothers my carefully prepared steak without even taking a bite first!! :ph34r:

Edited by North

This is one of the fastest ways not to get invited back to my house. I put in some time preparing my steaks when I'm expecting dinner guest, I just put four NY strips in my marinade for dinner tomorrow.

I just hate it when some knuckle head, just grabs the BBQ sauce and smothers my carefully prepared steak without even taking a bite first!! :ph34r:

:roflol:

Feeling your pain! But I will invite them back, just not serve steaks. You can't put sauce on soup or pasta! Or invite them to eat and serve hot dogs and burgers. If they like that, you know you won't be expected to put on the steaks and you can save them for those friends that appreciate them. :)

+1

Its always interesting to see the look on a servers face when I say no to A-1 sauce or whatever they offer. You gotta wonder if the cook sneaks out sometimes to see how many people are using sauce thou!!!

:D

If a server asks me I always reply, "If it needs it, I really don't want the steak."

It's just like folks who can't eat vegetables without gobs of dressing - they don't really care for the food, just the covering. A salad smothered in ranch/blue chesse/whatever dressing has way more calories than a good steak. ;)

I like my meat to taste like meat, and my vegetables to taste like vegetables. About the only seasoning I use anymore is black pepper, and not too much of that. Fresh lemon juice on fish too, if I'm feeling extravagant.

Chuck wrote "It's just like folks who can't eat vegetables without gobs of dressing - they don't really care for the food, just the covering. A salad smothered in ranch/blue chesse/whatever dressing has way more calories than a good steak.

I like my meat to taste like meat, and my vegetables to taste like vegetables. About the only seasoning I use anymore is black pepper, and not too much of that. Fresh lemon juice on fish too, if I'm feeling extravagant."

Come on Chuck...where we live you have to enjoy the different flavors!

I guess that is why I'm fat and you are slim.

Buddy

Being a big steak fan, if you invite me over, I promise not to put BBQ sauce on it :D

If a server asks me I always reply, "If it needs it, I really don't want the steak."

I always tell them that if it needs sauce I will probably need to see the manager.

Why would BBQ sauce be anywhere near a table with a good steak on it in the first place :huh:

That was my first thought!

-ld

Chuck wrote "It's just like folks who can't eat vegetables without gobs of dressing - they don't really care for the food, just the covering. A salad smothered in ranch/blue chesse/whatever dressing has way more calories than a good steak.

I like my meat to taste like meat, and my vegetables to taste like vegetables. About the only seasoning I use anymore is black pepper, and not too much of that. Fresh lemon juice on fish too, if I'm feeling extravagant."

Come on Chuck...where we live you have to enjoy the different flavors!

I guess that is why I'm fat and you are slim.

Buddy

Dang, Buddy - ouch! ;)

There's a big difference between cooking Cajun food traditionally and ruining a perfectly good steak by smothering it with sauce...you wouldn't add BBQ sauce to corn chowder or catfish courbouillon!

Edited by revchuck

Why would BBQ sauce be anywhere near a table with a good steak on it in the first place :huh:

The event I was tallking about was a pool party. We had chicken, burgers, and Brauts; you know the other three food groups.

The event I was tallking about was a pool party. We had chicken, burgers, and Brauts; you know the other three food groups.

There was nothing there that I see that required barbeque sauce, ketchup, relish, and a variety of mustards, yes.

I love chewing on a piece on meat.

In that regard I am not fussy. I gnaw on fat, gristle and bone.

I have never gone to some one's house been served a steak and ASKED for

anything like ketchup nor a-1.... ooof.

I can recall I once, lets call it 'over cooked', a piece o' beef.

I let it re-hyreate in some sauce for a little while....

I cut it into small pieces and I had a sore jaw the next day.

I don't think anyone would have served it to company, however.

I want to comfort you about the insult. For it is an insult.

I have cooked for enough folks that I can tell you they

were not trying to insult you.

It still hurts anyway. ...the rat bastards....

miranda

Boy do I know how this goes! I had a friend in from England, He wanted a "real good" American steak, so whe got some 1 1/2 lb. rib eyes. I seasoned them to perfection and Mesquite grilled them to a nice medium rare, served with garlic mashed potates and a nice salad. Nameless 5 time British shotgun champion proceeded to stab some salad onto his fork get a big dip of the mashed potatoes and grab a chunck of the rib eye all on the same fork, then he proclaimed it was a "great steak"...ugh!!! How could he tell? Mixing steak salad and potatoes all in one bite, at least he didn't get out the Ketsup or Steak sauce as I didn't put any out. I cut him major slack as 1.) he is from out of town. 2.) he is my best friend. 3.) he bought the steaks; but what a slam to the American way of life, let alone a South Western mans grilling ability. Even my 8 year old son admonished him about mixing all this stuff. At least I am raising one good American!! The other two jumped ship and agreed with him as they mixed the meat and potatoes, but at least they didn't go for the greens also! The salve to this greivious wound was pleanty of Spaten beer and whiskey. KurtM

square-large-mur.jpg

Amen!

I agree with all of the above. My wife does the same thing with salt. Well...used to. I ambushed her one night by "pre-salting" everything on her plate. She's a lot more careful about what she throws on her food blindly now. :rolleyes:

Mayhaps your guests were just conditioned to meat so bad that it always needed "help". Props to you for not kicking 'em soundly in the shin at the table. However...you might wanna hide the BBQ sauce or any sauce for that matter the next time you cook some steaks just to alleviate the issue. :cheers:

Why don't I come on over and test out your grilling skills and sauce manners? I won't even charge you for the housecall. :P

+1000! A fine steak, well prepared, melts in your mouth and floods the taste buds with pure pleasure!!! For the life of me, I cant figure out why anyone would want to ruin the experience with add-ons!

Heresy!!! the only thing worse would be ruining a perfectly good steak by having it cooked....I can't say it..... Well done.. :sick: ... :angry2::angry:

Oh...one thing...When I grill steaks for guests...I do not provide/offer any sauces..... I will offer fresh horshradish that I grow myself (no sauce...the grated stuff).... That is it.

Edited by Jack Suber

+1

Its always interesting to see the look on a servers face when I say no to A-1 sauce or whatever they offer. You gotta wonder if the cook sneaks out sometimes to see how many people are using sauce thou!!!

:D

I change it up abit, "If I need steak sauce, this things goin back".

I too am a pretty big purist when it comes to steak. I was raised on garlic salt and black pepper but for me kosher salt and pepper are my preferred seasonings. When it comes to roasts sometimes a nice home made dark veal demi-glace reduction is a good acoutrament but you'll never find any A1 in my house.. and bbq sauce tends to go on ribs or burgers.. Sometimes ribs, if I give them a nice dose of smoke and a simple kosher salt, black pepper, and brown sugar rub, doesn't even need the bbq sauce..