Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who's your hero/idol in the world of top shooters? At the last Factory Nats I got to meet all the "name" shooters - and some emerging names. They're an incredibly interesting group of people. This made me think about hero worship, how much I/we admire the top shooters, and who it would be if had to pick one top shooter as my hero. Obviously there are many good choices. For instance:

I don't see how a person could be any sort of shooter and not admire Robbie Leatham. It would be like being a hockey fanatic and not admiring Wayne Gretsky, a basketball fan and poo-pooing Michael Jordan. The winningest shooter in the history of IPSC. Coming up on 25 years into his career and at the top of his game. It's just frickin' amazing.

I met Dave Segigny, and you've got to respect what he can do with just basic equipment. A totally stock Glock 34 (okay, he did change the sights) without even a trigger job. Concealment holster and mag pouches. Factory ammo. With careful shopping you could buy every bit of his match equipment for, what, $800? And he's out there running with the best in the world. Too cool.

Todd Jarrett. God, how could you not like this guy? His energy level is so high, he's just fun to be around. He talks so fast, and he's so continually, naturally ebullient, he kinda reminds me of Foghorn Leghorn. (And I say that in the most respectful manner possible.)

Sometimes when you first meet someone, you just get an immediate positive impression off them, an almost gut-level "I like this person" reaction. I felt that way on meeting Jerry Barnhart. He's a bit shy at first, but once he relaxes and starts talking, you realize just what a thoughtful, articulate man he is.

Lisa Munson. Another one I got that instant "I like this person" vibe off of. Just one of life's good people. Friendly, nice, well-spoken. The best female shooter in USPSA. Winner of five national championships - three in Open, one apiece in Limited and Limited-10. One of the few lady Open Masters. The only female Limited Master. And the last time I talked to Lisa, she was working toward her Master card in L-10, and looking forward to shooting IDPA. Talk about an overachiever.

Phil Strader. "The Rodney Dangerfield of USPSA." Once you get past the self-deprecation, you realize you're in the presence of one of the deepest thinkers about the art and science of high-speed pistol competition you could ever hope to meet - kind of like Brian Enos without the Zen.

And while we're on the topic, how about Brian Enos? What can you say about all the good this man has done for shooters over the years - hell, the very forum on which we're talking? No one else could have written The Book that's made such a difference to so many shooters. And when I met him in Arizona recently, I just found him a good guy, a thoughtful, decent man. That's the only way I can think of to put it.

Michael Voigt. We are SO lucky to have this guy as USPSA President. Voigt is so naturally happy, always has a smile on his face (Michael Voigt actually smiles while shooting) I've been told some people have the opinion he's a bit of a ditz. That wasn't my impression. I don't think there's too much that gets by Michael Voigt.

Matt Burkett for kicking me in the ass enough to make me a better shooter.

And while all that's true, if I had to pick one person as "my hero" among the top shooters, it would unquestionably be Travis Tomasie. Not just for the sort of shooter he is - though obviously that's worthy of admiration - but for the sort of man he is. Not taking anything away from anyone else, but Travis is a pure soul. There's not an ounce of deceit, or nastiness, or meanness in him anywhere. Really, I think he was Sir Galahad in a previous life. Travis Tomasie could have sat in the Siege Perilous.

My hero is Oregon GM Dale Satterberg. His name doesn't get bandied about like the big dogs, but he's done more than a couple good turns for me for no damned good reason. I know he bends over backwards to help out the local club. If I can be like Dale when I finally grow up, I'll be doing well.

I'm sure Robbie's a great guy and hellaciously cool, but if he saw me shoot and I needed something, not only do I think he'd not offer, I'm thinking he'd probably tell me to go piss up a rope. :D

Hmmm...interesting post Duane!

I guess I would have four on my short list.

#1) Our host in the "retired from shooting but still doing a TON to help the sport" category most notably this forum and "The Book". I only hope that someday I will actually understand all of "The Book" before he publishes "The Book, Part Deux" or "Zen and the art of 1911/2011 Maintenance". And for that long ago ESPN show with he and Robbie duking it out at Bianchi or some other competition that planted the seed of competitive shooting in me which took a bunch of years to sprout.

#2) TGO because, well, he is TGO. Duane said it all. The Gretzky of Shooting, maybe. But did Rob marry a Playboy centerfold like Wayne did? ;)

#3) Matt Burkett. Because he has the balls to go shoot minor and WIN just to see if he can but mostly because of what he is giving back to the sport in the form of his DVDs. Yeah, sure, he is making a few bucks off the DVDs but the amount of info in those is astounding. I have a lot of How-To videos for everything from woodworking to fly-fishing and none of them can hold a candle to Matt's production quality. Matt's dedication to producing THE BEST video sets his apart into some other league. He could produce a bunch of mediocre videos and probably have a higher profit margin than what he is getting by doing it right; but he doesn't fall for the power of the quick buck. Thanks Matt!

And no, I have never met any of the three although I think I talked to Brian on the phone once when I ordered something.

And all this is to take nothing away from all the others out there who are so deserving.

But wait...he said "four". Yup, sure did.

#4) My other "hero" really is a group of people. All the folks be they U, D, C, B, A, M or GM that show up on this forum to give advice and assistance without a lot of chest beating and "higher and mightyer than thou" attitude.

I have been participating here for less than a year and I was a "guest in stealth mode" for a bit before I joined. The help and encouragement offered on this forum has been invaluable to myself and to others.

You all really are heros! :D

Our host has great insight, talent, and a giving attitude that is top notch.

I would have to agree with EricW about Dale S. being more than willing to help a fellow shooter, I had my gun break one match and he gave me ammo for the match for another gun I had just gotten. When I started shooting he helped me a ton, answering all my stupid questions without making me feel like an idiot. He is a good ambasador for the sport in my book.

TGO is TGO, and TJ is TJ but I haven't had a personal experience with either.

Jerry Barnhart, man the guy might not be the most talented, but his dedication to the sport, work ethic and attitude inspired me as a new shooter. His videos were my 1st intro into the sport. I think the guy is top notch.

Travis Tomasie would have to be my choice also. I have met him several times informally and he the real deal. He is a gifted athlete, with tons of discipline and focus, his shooting is spectacular, but nothing can come close to the kind of man he is. When it comes down to it that is the biggest thing to admire in a shooter for me, the person behind the man/woman pulling the trigger, and TravisT is the real deal in my book.

Hmmm...interesting post Duane!

I guess I would have four on my short list. 

#1) Our host in the "retired from shooting but still doing a TON to help the sport" category most notably this forum and "The Book".  I only hope that someday I will actually understand all of "The Book" before he publishes "The Book, Part Deux" or "Zen and the art of 1911/2011 Maintenance".  And for that long ago ESPN show with he and Robbie duking it out at Bianchi or some other competition that planted the seed of competitive shooting in me which took a bunch of years to sprout.

#2) TGO because, well, he is TGO.  Duane said it all.  The Gretzky of Shooting, maybe.  But did Rob marry a Playboy centerfold like Wayne did?  ;)

#3) Matt Burkett.  Because he has the balls to go shoot minor and WIN just to see if he can but mostly because of what he is giving back to the sport in the form of his DVDs.  Yeah, sure, he is making a few bucks off the DVDs but the amount of info in those is astounding.  I have a lot of How-To videos for everything from woodworking to fly-fishing and none of them can hold a candle to Matt's production quality.  Matt's dedication to producing THE BEST video sets his apart into some other league.  He could produce a bunch of mediocre videos and probably have a higher profit margin than what he is getting by doing it right; but he doesn't fall for the power of the quick buck.  Thanks Matt!

And no, I have never met any of the three although I think I talked to Brian on the phone once when I ordered something.

And all this is to take nothing away from all the others out there who are so deserving. 

But wait...he said "four".  Yup, sure did.

I have been participating here for less than a year and I was a "guest in stealth mode" for a bit before I joined.  The help and encouragement offered on this forum has been invaluable to myself and to others.

You all really are heros!  :D

#4) My other "hero" really is a group of people.  All the folks be they U, D, C, B, A, M or GM that show up on this forum to give advice and assistance without a lot of chest beating and "higher and mightyer than thou" attitude.

My hero. Armondo Valdez,when i grow up i wanna be like that guy.Tireless, humble,helpful etc

Eric Grauffel. The kid (OK he's as old as I am) lives 500 miles away from the closest shooter and practiced in his "back yard" to get to where he is now.

Jerry Miculek. Same story. Self taught revolver hero. Love that self taught stuff.

Well Duane

You did not say that they had to be active shooters, so here goes.

Jeff Cooper is first 'cause without him NONE of this would avaliable to us now.

Ross Seyfried is second 'cause he is a great guy, very humble, and was very approachable, both on and off the course. He did it all with basically a box gun. He knew and was friends with Elmer Keith, and now does what I would like to be doing in my dreams.

TGO is third. Cause man, he has been GOD since the early '80's. His achievements are almost beyond comprehension, and when he beat me in the Man on Man shootoffs at the IPSC Natl's one year, he took the time to say a kind word to me, and congratulate me for making the shootoffs.

Brian is fourth. He had great accomplishments when he was active, but he is included because he is the one who has pushed the sport and the shooters to go beyond their physical abilities. Without doubt the deepest thinker ever concerning shooting of all kinds, who has taken the time to help all shooters not just himself, or the Hot Rocks. His depth of knowledge constantly amazes me, and he can do it all. From the most mundane to the esoteric, and do it with style and grace. The mark of a true Champion. And the final reason he made my list, is that his Tag Lines on the Forum are so cool.

Lets see:

TGO - Obviously just because he is soooo damn good. He really is the Jordan of Shooting. The fact he has stayed on top for such a long time is just a true testament to his skill. It amazes me how he can consistently win year after year.

Brian - His book has revolutionized the way shooters approach the sport. It in itself has made such a contribution to the sport. I admire him because, like he says in his book, he is not a natural athlete. To get to the level he is at shows alot about his personality and determination. I think the shooters of today are so far ahead of shooters when he started due to things like his book. Everyone now starts levels ahead of where the older shooters started since there are such great resources available.

Matt B. - Besdies being a bad a$$ shooter, It seems like Matt really tries to take time out to help other shooters. This sport is very competitive which makes his videos and book very helpful. It does also show that he is more concerned with the other people in the sport than himself by his willingness to show how he got good in his videos. A lot of people wouldnt share their strategies in an effort to stay on top. This is evident since his new video is going to be about how to practice. It takes a big man to share how they reached the highest level.

I really basically just admire the people that have done something to contribute to the sport. THere are a lot of really good shooters out there. The ones that help others are the ones that I look up to. I think that if you are at the highest level you have a duty to help others.

I feel kinda too old to be calling anybody a shooting hero anymore, but here are people I admire:

1. Robbie Leatham, because he's just an amazing shooter. I've met him a few times back in the late 80's-early 90's and he was always super friendly. He made a kid's day back then by giving him a few pointers.

2. Andreas Mankel. Probably unknown in the US, but older European shooters would remember him. Phenomenal shooter; went from barely touching a handgun to what's now called Grand Master (didn't have it back then)I in about 2 years. I think he shot the US Nationals in 93 and placed in the top 16. Heck of a nice guy. Very friendly, always giving tips, and joking around. One of my proudest moments was beating him in a shoot off (in probably my best and luckiest performance ever).

3. Jerry Miculek. This guy does things with a revolver that are just not possible for mere mortals.

4. Brian Enos. For writing THE book on the sport and for promoting it so much in so many ways.

The times I have interacted with Rob Leatham he has always been a great guy.

Of course as everyone has mentioned, Brian has also been really cool and this site is a tremendous resource for us all. So if I had two votes I would cast one for each of them.

Then there is Duane. He gets paid to write about guns, play with guns, and shoot a lot. I don't know that he's my hero but I am definitely jealous! ;)

-ld

It would be hard not to mention Matt...and, of course, TGO, TJ & The Burner...

but...I think Brian has done so much for the sport with his teaching and sharing... I know I am better from the association.

And Travis rocks too. B)

Here are my four heroes. Not individuals, but you know who they are.

The people who bust their rear end year after year setting up and tearing down stages for all of us to shoot and help run the match doing everything possible to keep the cost of the match low.

Then there are the people that come to the match with a good attitude and do the little things that make a match great for new shooters and veterans alike.

The shooting ranges that host our events and fight tooth and nail to stay operational.

The people who make sure that our government continues to be “by and for the people” and not letting anyone forget that “the right to keep and bear arms” is a guaranteed by our constitution.

I'll rank mine -

TGO - because he got me where I got to in shooting - without him I would have never accomplished any of the stuff I did.

BE - because he kept my priorities in line when I needed it. Quite honestly - he made it a game.

Tawn Argeris - skilled and a good friend - he and I figured a lot out together in our day

Kippi Leatham - because she embraced me, and built me up when I was clearly down

Only four . . . NOT

Doug Koenig - in my opinion - the most talented person to pull a trigger. I don't like his attitude - but I respect his talent

Tim Copperstone - he filmed me at my first big match - and that helped me learn a lot. He was a benchmark for me early in my career

There are many more - and I will be writing another post to include them.

JB

Thanks for the recognition everyone! I've said this before - but if I'm ever feeling down, or just need some real interaction to lift me up, this place and the folks I talk to on the phone everyday have become priceless in my life. Thank you so much.

Heros? The Great One first of all. Because he is absolutely the greatest shooter/competitor on the planet. And I just dig him as a person. His sense of humor is awesome.

Travis T, because of the reasons so eloquently mentioned by Duane.

The Burner, because of his tenacity.

Matt Burkett, because even though he is an ENTP, ;), he has a tremendous sense of caring and sharing.

And of course Voigt, because of his willingness to tear things apart to make a change for the better. (Donnie Darko reference intended.[i/])

be

I haven't been in this sport long, but here goes...

The Burner - My first interest in this sport came after coming across his website back in the early 90's when I was in college. He even took the time to answer an email or two. I have never met the man, but if I had to sum up what he means to me in one word, that word would be "determination"

Brian Enos - I stumbled onto this gem of a website early in 2001 when I was on my longest stretch of work away from home ever. I have to admit, I am addicted to this forum and the great people who make it what it is. I didn't start shooting until July of that year and had the great privilege, 2 months later, to (1) shoot a Tuesday Nite Steel match with BE, and (2) get some one-on-one training from the man himself. While some of what we covered in that intense 4-5 hour session (i have never been that mentally exhausted in my life, I can say) helped my shooting immediately, the greatest utility was not realized until recently. Brian, if he has done nothing else, has helped me to open my mind and become a more complete shooter and, more importantly, individual. Because of Brian, I am a better person now than I was 24 months ago. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

Steve Anderson - While I stated earlier that I've never acutally met or talked to the Burner, when I think of him, I am reminded of Steve. His presence (to me) bleeds intensity, focus and determination. I have only shot one match with the man, and watched him mostly from afar, but he inspired me to become better than I am. Thanks Steve.

My Old Man (Dave Sr.) - a saint among saints. The hardest working S.O.B. I've ever met. He taught me to shoot trap at an early age and I dont' believe that I would be here today without his guidance. Thanks Dad.

Hero is a strong word.

My "hero's" who are shooters are names you'll never know or hear. Some compete in our sport, but most use it as a reason to shoot, and they already shoot a LOT. I can guarantee you Todd, Jerry, Rob, Benny and a host of others have spent long hours providing instruction to them, even moreso since September 2 years ago, and they'd know who I'm speaking of in a general term.

Some post here when time and deployments allow and their humility is matched only by their perspective of what is important in the world.

As for Shooters I Admire and Respect.... Julia Watson is a awesome. She is the fist woman to win several different things at the National Rifle Championships, against all comers men women and children, and sets records doing it. This was 5 years ago. Last week she shoots a 200 with 11X's standing, on her second day of shooting in 2 years! She is wise beyond her 25 years, and an exceptional person as well as shooter. This probably means very litle to most of the posters here, but it is an awesome accomplishment, and I lack the means to draw a decent comparison.

Phil Strader has offered tips EVERY time I've talked to him or shot with him. I've watched Todd and Max Jr, and was amazed at their speed and accuracy. Todd seems to coach every shooter in his squad at the matches in our area. Pretty cool for a champion! Matt B has helped in a few ways, asking nothing in return. BE's book was the vehicle I used to gain confidence many years ago, and this forum has been like the grad school of shooting for me. I try to take an on-line course every day too.

Many others have helped me or motivated me: they include Bill L, Tom D, Jason J, Don L, Ray Y, Carlos B, and a host of others.

Philosophical thread drift follows.

As people we are the sum of our experiences and interactions with others. Those who's names I wrote here, and many others, have made me a better person.

Tom

While we certainly should acknowledge the pioneers in the sport, the ones who brought it to the level its at today, I find the unsung hero the most deserving. The one who runs a club or a section, without compensation and many times, compassion for his time and effort. Who strives to put on an excellent match with reliability the U.S. Post Office would admire. Who does all the little things that mean so much, but usually go unnoticed (Posting results the day of the match). This is the man I admire, and while there are many I'm not acquainted with, I have been fortunate to know one. Jeff Hoge, of the Va./Md. Section. Jeff has been in the sport longer than most people. He remembers when Todd Jarrett was a "C" class shooter. Jeff has been a "B" class shooter as long as I've known him (10 years) and has never been consumed with gamesmanship of the sport. He is competitive, but he doesn't let it dominate him. He shoots the sport because he loves the sport, not for some ego driven "GM" title. He is a hard, but fair man when it comes to the rules. He despises gaming and during his tenure as Section coordinator, refused to allow clubs to offer reshoots of classifiers for extra money. If you reached GM, M, A, or any class, it was because you EARNED it. Not because you shot a classifier 10 times and sent in your best score. You won't find any "paper" G's or M's in the Va./Md. section. Just look at the Major match scores, the Va./Md. section is usually represented extremely well at the finish line. Jeff is directly responsible for that. But more so than any other reason, Jeff runs a new shooter class designed to get people into this sport and play safely. I am honored to say that I helped Jeff with his new shooter classes (along with many other shooters) and would venture a guess and say that 70% of the shooters in the section have gotten into the sport as a direct or indirect result of Jeff's classes. All of this was done in spite of several personal health problems that would have killed the normal mortal, but Jeff never complains. He just continues on, giving back to the sport more than he'll ever receive. To this day, even though I no longer live in Va., I'll still occasionally call Jeff and bounce a gaming question off him. Even though I know the answer, talking to him helps keep me grounded to whats important in the sport. Hero's aren't always the ones waving the flag and yelling "follow me!", sometimes there the guy right next to you in the group who helps you up when you stumble and nobody else would (Mig). Don't always look to the front, sometimes the greatest hero is the one standing right next to you. I am honored to call Jeff my friend and my hero.

Erik

My heroes huh....

Murray Gardner. I met him (10 time IPSC Canada National Champion) at a match in Montreal in 1990. We've been good friends ever since. No one has ever taken the time to share their experiences and knowledge with me like him. Even though he's a coast away, the time we spend together over the years is priceless. B)

J.Michael Plaxco. One of the best all around shooters this country has EVER produced and the most down to earth GM i've ever met. IPSC misses competitors like him. ;)

• 1 month later...

Brian: Has astounding patience for answering the same questions every day.

Matt B:Took me to the next Level.

Travis T: Contacted me when he read I bought a Caspian, just to help with the load and parts.

Dave Sevigny: Took production to a new level. Met him again in PA...

Ernest Langdon: The first top level guy I ever spoke to, built many guns for me. I hope his daughter goes to a ice school. :)

Vern Walker: The first guy to push me to improve. He said, "You're OK, but you're draw is way too slow. You need to buy a timer and dry fire." He also said, "You're not supposed to shoot the white ones." :)

Get well soon, Vern.

Big Dave, you humble me with your kind words. Buy me a beer and I'll tell you the whole story...you'll be sorry you asked... just ask 3qt. :)

SA

• 2 weeks later...