Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire muzzlebrakes

bthp

I recently saw an add for Surefire muzzle brakes, which featured Taran Butler and Mike Voit. Do these guys really use these brakes or was that photo staged for the add? Does anyone have any experience with these brakes? A comparison to the commonly encountered brakes would be great.

Mike Voigt is friends with Barry Dueck, head of the SureFire Suppressor Division. Barry (also a GM if memory serves) and Mike designed the muzzle break. For those that don't know our President is a very good gunsmith and has a ton of experience with what works and doesn't. The SureFire Muzzle break is extremely effective. I've got them on a couple rifles. For me there comes a point where a muzzle break just can't get any better. For me the JP and the SureFire are there. I've tried several others and while some of them were as effective, I just haven't run across any that were more effective.

Part numbers are MB556AR and MB556K depending on length. A quick search on the SureFire site will find them. The AR sleeves back over the bbl. The K is just an extension. They are designed primarily to mount suppressors which is why they look different.

I have them on two guns and think they work as good as anything I have ever used and are not as big or heavy and if I ever get a suppressor they are already to go, no advantage lost with this product

I think the muzzle brakes also serve as adapters:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_dis...e_why/strfnbr/6

If you do a search for "brake" on Surefire's website, they show up.

B

That's why I couldn't find them, they are listed as an "Muzzle Brake/Adapter" on the Surefire and Brownells websites. http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main.pl?pgm...earch_id=934348

As for attaching it, does the "sleeve" portion go over the barrel or threaded to the end? The entire unit exceeds 3" in length (it is 4.18"), which is the maximum for USPSA Limited/Tactical Division, making it useful for just Open Division.

The sleeve goes over the bbl and the actual compensator of the brake is only an 1 1/2 or 2 inches long. If you look a the MB556K and compare it to the MB556AR the are basically the same design from in front of the muzzle. The MB556AR just extends back further to allow a second point of contact for mounting a suppressor. I believe there was a thread about this previously and the BOD said this design was okay, since the comp itself was only 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the advantages of the Surefire's is that if you add a Surefire supressor, the point of aim aparently changes very little between the gun with or without the supressor.

This has been reported in several publications.

I have one on my AR and it seems to work very well for me.

Robert

• 4 months later...
I go one of these from Brownells and no instructions came. How to install? I am not sure what to do with the washers and glue.

It should have. EMail them. It is actually pretty neat. Each washer is a different thickness and has a colored striped.

You screw on the comp w/o any washers. There is a chart that slips over the break and depending on how it indexes, it says how many of what color washer to use to get it to index TDC.

The glue is special glue. Higher temp than red or green loctite. It will not shoot loose. I asked MV about it and he said use it instead of loctite.

The glue is probably thread locker, I'd guess Rockset or Loctite. Don't use it until final assembly. The washer is probably a crush washer (looks slightly cone shaped) or a peel washer (lots of thin layers laminated together). Put the washer on, screw on the brake and get an idea where it stops. With the crush washer you just torque the brake down to it's final position after adding the thread locker. The peel washer you can heat with a lighter along one edge until the laminations become apparent, split it to the right thickness that allows the brake to be properly indexed, then thread lock it in place.

AR15.com probably has a more elegant write-up in their technical section. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

I have the sure-fire MB556K, and regarding the installation, DONT use a crush-washer! The instructions specifically recommend against it, and you can find many posts that recommend against a crush washer for muzzle brakes/comps. The comp, when properly indexed, is extremely effective. I would recommend finding a gunsmith to do the installation to turn down the shoulder of the barrel behind the threads to index the comp. I used the washers and instructions furnished with the comp, however, it was very difficult to get it indexed perfectly. No matter the combination of washers I used, it would either under or over index slightly for the specified torque. I had to eliminate the tapered washer(s) to get it indexed, and torqued to the minimum, using a healthy amount of thread locker. One other note: The flat sides of the comp were slightly over sized for my M-16 armorer's wrench. I used a crescent wrench. Whatever wrench you have to use, make sure to tape the jaws with vinyl tape, or you will scratch the finish. The comp is stainless, and you can't touch it up with normal bluing once scratched or marred.

I just picked one up for $100 and am very pleased with it to replace my flatland forged F2. It shoots a little flatter than the PWS FSC556 and I don't notice any abnormal amounts of blast/overpressure while shooting nor a big ole fireball at night when looking through the Meopta k-dot.

Any one want to pick up a LNIB Black F2 Comp with brand new peel washer? The comp just doesn't work for me, which is a shame since there are so many praises about them here.

Edited by tt350z

does anyone know how these compare to the JP Enterprise muzzle brakes?

Sure do. The Surefire is twice as expensive... :roflol:

In my opion the Surefire is a good choice if you are sponsored by them or plan on a suppresor in the future, but are otherwise a bit overpriced. I have used it on a test gun side by side with the Mikulec, JP/BC, PRI, and F2. all were very similar (except the F2, which was---different) In no way was it better or worse (other than price) than any of the others. Of those I listed, my recomendation would go by price as those are all effective.