Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some brass hotter than usual

Yesterday, while brassing at a plate match, I noticed that 9mm brass from loads using TightGroup are significantly hotter than 9mm brass using bullseye or VV320 (not sure about that number). In fact, I don't recall ever picking up 9mm brass that was so hot. These were standard pressure loads fired from stock guns.

In my own 9mm ammo, I've been using Bullseye and been very happy with the results but I do have a lb of TG that I was planning to test. Will using TG in my 9mm loads offer ANY advantage over Bullseye other than making hotter brass?

Thanks,

Gary

Yes, TG is insanely hot. Lots of guys here are TG fans, I am not, not even a little. Might as well burn it up but I wouldn't buy any more, WAY too temperature sensitive and WAY too much heat in the gun.

I have become a fan of WST for my 9mm 147 loads. I use molys, and they don't smoke much at all. It is reverse temp sensitive, the hotter the temp the lower the PF. I crono'd at Area8 at 137, it hot but not excessively so. I'll also give Solo100 a try.

Bruce

I enjoy using the TG but as mentioned it gets really hot. Last summer, during an extended practice session in the middle of the day, I was using a wet towel to cool the gun between runs. It wasn't' hot enough that it was doing any damage other than to my fingers :surprise:

For me the only time I've ever experienced any inconsistency is when my crimping die backed off in my .45 tool head on my 650. I was blaming my inconsistent velocities on everything in the world, especially the powder, until I found the loose die.

But, everyone has their favorite powder. If you are happy with Bullseye, then TG won't offer any magical improvement so stick with what you like.

JMHO

dj

Yesterday, while brassing at a plate match, I noticed that 9mm brass from loads using TightGroup are significantly hotter than 9mm brass using bullseye or VV320 (not sure about that number). In fact, I don't recall ever picking up 9mm brass that was so hot.

Hmm. If the brass is that hot think of the barrel. I was planning on trying TG for .40SW this summer. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on it during my load development.

I use nothing but TiteGroup.

I wish Howard would quit doggin it. I feel like I need to post a counter-view every time he does so. :)

I use it for Major and Minor power factor. I use in in 9mm, 40 and 45. I made Grand Master with it in two divisions. I've shot it for at least half of a decade now. I've shot it over numerous chronographs. I've shot it at various Level-II matches and above over the years.

I've won numerous Level-II matches shooting with it. I've won nice prizes (from the few prize table matches I shoot) with it. I've won way too many local match to count while using nothing but TiteGroup.

I even have a buddy that is using it in his revolver (and has won an Area and a State match with it in Revolver this year).

I'm a fan. :)

Howard hates it, Kyle likes it. Different strokes for different folks. I side with Howard on this one. I burnt a pound of it up and won't be buying any more. It's hot, it burns dirty in my gun and with moly or lead bullets I get SERIOUS tumbling issues with the 147's and TG I use for Production.

I don't have any problems with Solo 1000 or Ramshot Competition. I'm not sure about Competition but Solo 1000 is a single base powder, burns much cleaner and cooler than TG with mucho better results using lead or moly coated.

As always, your mileage may vary. :cheers:

Gee guys.

I'm personally happy some folks don't like it. It's reasonably priced right now. If everybody liked it, it would soon become as expensive as...as... well you know, some of those other powders :goof:

dj

Gee guys.

I'm personally happy some folks don't like it. It's reasonably priced right now. If everybody liked it, it would soon become as expensive as...as... well you know, some of those other powders :goof:

dj

I'm with you on that !!! :cheers: I use it in everything, jacketed, molys, eveything ! :goof:

Ya it's hot, "Manly hot" !! :lol:

In my experience all ball powders are hotter than others with a similar burn rate. But evry advantage comes with an offset disadvantage. That's life. If the loads does what you need and you can live with it do so. If not, do not!

I believe it is due to the fact that they are ball powders and generate energy with very little mass. I have used TG since around 2000. It does eveything I need in many cartrdiges, especially the 38Super for NRA Action Pistol.

When kept within sensible parameters it is not too temperature sensitive. I load 4.9gr under a 115gr Zero and get 1200fps here in Winter and the same load loaded in the US in Summer (both in May) produce within 20fps of my NZ load. Temperature variantion is 40degrees F.

IMHO....I agree with Howard that it gets hot, too hot for me to use if for Steel loads......The High Nitrocellulose content heats up moreso than say W231 or any of the dozen powders I have used in the past.

When I am practicing for SC, I can shoot all morning with W231 and the gun never gets too hot to handle. With TG it does, period. I agree that it is cheap, etc like all the rest, but for high volume shooting like Steel, I will not use it. When the gun is too hot to handle I wonder what the heat is doing to my whole gun when I am shooting it.....I only have 12 SS mags for it, so I get to take a break loading them up, but it still gets hot

My .02 cents from having burned about 24lbs of it so far...... :)

DougC

I used TG almost exclusively for five years. I decided to get away from it last summer (95 degree day) when I was doing Bill Drills with my SSR match load (4.5 grains of TG under a 158 grain Berry's RN) and literally gave myself a first degree burn doing reloads after about six or seven cylinders full. The cylinder got that hot. I'm probably going to use however much Solo 1250 it takes to make a 130 PF from my 4" M19 and call it good.

I've got about enough TG to load a thousand 9x19s, and I have a thousand MG 121 IFPs on the way. After that, no more.

Yes hot and dirty in my experiences. Have used it for 40 and 45 with Berrys and Rainier plated and moly. Have switched to VV N320 and not looking back. Yes it is cheaper VV but the time taken to clean the gun and cleaning supplies over the long term I feel offset the higher cost. It did perform well but the heat and dirtitness turned me off from it.

IME fired cases come out noticeably hotter than normal in 9mm and Super loads using TG compared to similar charges of other powders. I can't say why, but it's been that way for many years.

In my experience all ball powders are hotter than others with a similar burn rate.

Is TiteGroup a ball powder? It always looks like flakes to me.

It's a flattened ball powder. Compare it to Clays and Unique which are true flakes.