Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How far would you drive to a 'good' local match?

Some of us have no choice. Tallahassee is my closest match at 94 miles. The next is Cool Springs Gun Club at 120 miles. I've driven the 250 mile trips within the last month for River Bend and for Cherokee. I wish one was a Saturday match and the other on Sunday. Or at least be able to catch an IDPA match the same weekend so I could get 2 days of shooting in on one weekend trip.

It really sucks to live in the black hole of no IPSC.

Edited by kgunz11

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive about 2:15 to missoula for 1) good people 2) nice range 3) good stages 4) good competition where there are est. 4 M's, and est. 2- GM's. to shoot with. Learn alot that way.

That said, I would drive anywhere, anytime a good friend wanted me there. :cheers:

York is 191 miles each way. 7 to 8 stages, 140-160 rounds.

Fredericksburg is 120 miles each way. 7 stages, 120 to 150 rounds.

Both are well worth the trip. The closest local match is North Mountain and that's only 25 miles.

At 13 miles a gallon, traveling gets expensive so I try to carpool with a couple of other guys.

I usually carpool to locals with Pharoh Bender or BSeevers (or both) to defray the cost of gas. We have 3 clubs within 1.5 hrs & 1 club that is about 3 hrs away. Obviously we only shoot that one on occasion. Every 2 or 3 months. But the others are always good matches. Most have approx. 5 stages, but 1 only has 4 stages, but it is 4 really good stages, with a rifle or SG side match afterwards for $5 more. Average cost of these matches is $15-20. Good friends make it worth my while no matter the distance.

But ........ I see a recurring theme with most of your posts. Shoot or stay home. :blink: Well, with the rising cost of gas (when will it end?) on the weekends I can't make a match, I have made a promise to myself to wake up early, and drive out to the range, and practice for 2-3 hrs. No match fee - no long drive - no delays. Just get out & practice hard. I try and focus on 1 or 2 things that I need work on.

Takes less time than than a typical club match, and I still get to shoot. ;)

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

The closest LOCAL match is a 166 miles with a 2nd LOCAL match at 168 miles both one way. Usually 5 stages with 100-130 shots per match. Last weekend it was 166 miles to one match 180 miles to the 2nd match and 168 miles home. Wish there were something closer but there isn't.

2 hours for me since I'm not a morning person. Most matches I attend take around 1.5 hours to get there. Gas prices are consideration, but I ride a motorcycle the majority of the time. Except for a 3-gun match, I won't drive my truck to a club match anymore unless I have someone willing to split gas with me. If I have to go solo and can't take the bike due to weather or something, I don't go.

Jim Thompson,

On second reading I could see how you would relate my post to Pine Tree, but that is NOT what I meant. PT has target pits that allow shots off the common backstop, I have only shot 6-3 there twice, and they have good stages. Funny thing is I consider PT matches to be social occasions more than matches.....

Jim Thompson,

On second reading I could see how you would relate my post to Pine Tree, but that is NOT what I meant. PT has target pits that allow shots off the common backstop, I have only shot 6-3 there twice, and they have good stages. Funny thing is I consider PT matches to be social occasions more than matches.....

You were clearly talking about springbrook. :roflol:

I voted 3+

I go the a sniper match twice a year and it's 7 1/2hrs away. 6 years ago a friend a I went to this match, shot, and 45 mins later we were heading home again.

I'm going to an IPSC match on Saturday and it's 3hrs away.

I'm going (hopefully, entry fee sent) to the IDPA Nationals in October, and that's 10-11hrs away.

Will I travel? Yes, but I'm starting to get choosy about the matches I go to now.

Here in Eastern Pa., I am lucky enough to be able to shoot every Sat and Sunday of the month, (if the wife alows me) Between N.J. & Pa there are enough clubs to alow it.

Some clubs are short ranges and others have long ranges so there are several different types of set ups being made. Some may be just short speen shoots and others long field courses. Has worked out very well for the past 20 years.

Gene

I'm heading down to owensboro this weekend for a good match. I get to shoot 7 stages of pistol on sat, stay with friends and go out to eat, then on sunday shoot rifle and shotgun. Its about 2.5 hours away and talking about a damn good match! Most of my local matches are right at an hour away. I do like Keen's idea though if you can't make a match due to gas, time, or what have you if you have a local range close then get your butt out and practice, your still shooting and you would have spent that ammo on a match anyway right?

• 3 months later...

A good match for me would be 5-6 stages with a classifier, at least a couple of good field courses, high round count. Good and fair RO's.

A bad match - 3 or 4 stages 60 rounds total, small classifier, no big field course, no thought put into design courses, no descent props, RO's that don't know or make up the wrong rules.

i'll carhop 3+ hours for a GOOD match.

I'll drive a couple of hours. 3 if I carpool.

We had a few guys drive 5-6+ hours one way for our big shoot last month... but it was 10 stages and 250rds.

Normally we do 5 stages and about 100-120 rounds, as well as a shotgun or mini-pins side match.. A couple times a year we'll do 6 stages and around 125. Once a year we do a 10 stage, 200+ match (twice next year... we get the sectional).

I just hope it was worth everyone's trip :rolleyes: since a lot of them did it TWICE --- freaking 8 inches of rain in 2 hours.... :ph34r:

Frank

I'll drive 2.5hrs. one way to Morro Bay,(Hogue Range). Usually 6 stages and 170rds. Challenging field courses

with a good mixture of speed stages and always a classifier.

I'll also drive 1.5hrs. one way to CCPL,(Fresno). There open match probably has some of the best stages for

a monthly match as you'll shoot anywhere.

Since we live in a crazy world, shooting is a form of relaxation and therapy from work, MARRIAGE and self recovery. I believe driving an average of two hours is also a great time to think and reflect on our daily lives. I live five minutes away from Taran B if I wanted to test out a load or something, I 'm one of the Range master at IPSC Southwest pistol league that is held every fourth Sunday of every month. Southwest pistol league is only about thirty minutes drive. I do try to put on at least a 200rd count and often gets feedback on what the shooters want to shoot, so that everyone has fun shooting our match. 3 long-2 medium-1 short course format is often done at our range. If I wanted to shoot every Saturday, I drive close to two hours to Norco IPSC. If I wanted to shoot every Sunday, I drive to Norco Shooting Alliance for the steel match and Prado IPSC has their match every second Sunday of every month. I love living in southern California!

Wow, I thought my vote of 2 hours would be farther than most. Surprising results thus far. I took a trip to Circleville this year for a local and it was a 2 hour drive but it was a great match. I will be back next year as well.

Due to a recent schedule change and to closure of the 'local' (1 hour away) range, travel for me is now 1.5-2.5 hours, one way. There are more than a half-dozen USPSA clubs within that radius, some across the state line.

The increased travel has been 'worth it' for the opportunity to shoot with M/GM's who teach and mentor; and to shoot club matches with difficult, complex stages.

Found one gas station with $2.36/gallon unleaded on my way home last Sunday. I need to find little surprises like that more often!

2 weekends each month is an 1 1/2 to 2 hr drive from where I am at. 1 weekend is at a local club that is only 10 min away. Another weekend is usually reserved for the bigger matches from 4-6 hrs. We are so separated from larger towns/cities that it just seems normal for us to drive at least 2+ hrs to shoot. Well at least with the gas prices now it doesn't hurt as much.