Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack or Production Division?

glockstan

I can't see this as coming down to anything other than what type of gun you like, really.

If you like the 1911...then Single-Stack division it is. (It's not allowed in Production division.)

If you like Glocks, CZ, M&P, XD's, Sigs, HK's, Beretta, etc...then Production division it is. (These guns are not allowed in Single-Stack division.)

If you are shopping for which one to play in with a 9mm, then know that shooting Minor power factor is rough. In Single-Stack...you will be shooting against people that make Major (even more rough). In Production, everybody is scored Minor...so that levels the field.

Production.

Cuz Glock don't make a single stack (yet).

Bruce

Seriously the gear both guns and mags in SS to me at least take more work than a Glock, XP, or M&P in production. The down side is minor scoring.

I will pick single stack.

I like the grip angle of the 1911 much better and I think that a 1911 is a better looking gun. How's that for scientific?? I find single stack more challenging due to the increased recoil & more mag changes (sometime). You can't waste shots. It's a thinking man's division.

It's truly a personal decision.

Production.

a) It's a lot cheaper and easier to get gear that runs.

B) In *general* less expensive to shoot -- yes, there are some that cast .45 from wheel weights, pick up every case, etc....

c) In most major matches it will be a larger Division - more competition.

d) Probably easier to advance vis-a-vis USPSA Classifier system.

e) Stage management is critical, but one mistake, or missed piece of steel isn't lethal, IMO.

You can't waste shots. It's a thinking man's division.

with 8rnd shooting areas...SS is pretty much Virginia count..otherwise you're stuck standing doing a reload. Now that's a challenge. :D

can't pick one..like both for different reasons.. B)

I like Single Stack. It forces you to break down a stage and accurately call your shots. Reloading costs can be kept under control by using LSWC and a little bit of Clays.

I am more of a traditionalist, so shooting SS feels like I am going back to our roots.

SO bottom line is: most of you here will go for SS than Production, now then how comes most of the match results I've seen in area 2, 3 and 4 Production division have more shooters than Single Stack? huh!....

Edited by glockstan

SO bottom line is: most of you here will go for SS than Production, now then how comes most of the match results I seen in area 2, 3 and 4 Production division have more shooters than Single Stack? huh!....

Just a WAG guess, but I'm going to say because Production is cheaper to shoot and has a very wide selection of competitive guns to choose from.

Rik

SO bottom line is: most of you here will go for SS than Production, now then how comes most of the match results I seen in area 2, 3 and 4 Production division have more shooters than Single Stack? huh!....

Just a WAG guess, but I'm going to say because Production is cheaper to shoot and has a very wide selection of competitive guns to choose from.

Rik

Probably something like that....although if you count different brands there are probably as many, or more choices in single stack.

I've got a single stack rig and enjoy shooting it from time to time, but I have little interest in Production....not sure why, but it's probably that I'm a 1911 guy at heart. R,

Production because it forces accurate, fast shooting and good reloads. Less recoil, lower cost factory ammo, etc. is only a bonus.

B&C hits become much less acceptable with minor scoring.

Edited by 1911user

I have both guns, a Glock and a SS1911A1 and have shot in both divisions.

I personally prefer the Single Stack. I find it more challenging and tactical.

With limited number of rounds, you can't afford to miss, you can't afford to make extra shots.

I find it more "cost-effective" to shoot.

Production all the way! Partly because it's where the competition was a few years ago when Dave Olhasso was shooting most of the local matches; partly because of Jersey's laws, partly because I think it's more fun than any other division, partly because there's a fairly large group of my buds shooting it with me......

SS --- I'd play, but they wont let my Glock SS play...... (G36) Guess they're scared of a .45 SS that runs and runs and runs, without jamming or maintenance..... :P :P :P

production here too - It's fun, the minor scoring makes it a challenge, I don't mind reloading, it's cool to beat non production shooters in the mixed overall, and I dig shooting the same type gun I carry. I shoot other stuff too, but I like production the best.

for the moment its production..for me.

like the challenge on trying to beat up on the other divisions shooting minor and 10rnds. :D :D

maybe someday get back to my single stack as it what I started with, when we shot only one division. B)

SO bottom line is: most of you here will go for SS than Production, now then how comes most of the match results I've seen in area 2, 3 and 4 Production division have more shooters than Single Stack? huh!....

Because I didn't shoot those matches....

I don't like only one choice in anything, adapt and overcome. I have a gun for every handgun division and once I get off my butt will have gear for 3 gun. WHY, because it is fun to shoot different challenges.

Production and single stack are my favorite divisions to shoot because the playing field is more even and accuracy is emphasized, especially in Production.

However, I like single stack a little more because I have fewer rounds to give and I also like the fact that I have to do more reloads. I guess you can say I like "old school" IPSC and not to mention that the 1911 is my favorite gun! :cheers:

I will go with SS. I have pistols to compete in all divisions, but my favorite pistol is the SS I had built in the late 80's as my competition/duty gun. It runs like a house a fire, it is highly customized with every part changed or modified in someway. It used to be a Springfield GI it now looks like a TGO 1. I had this gun built when Robbie was "The Good One" and Brian had hair.

I'll cop out and say I like 'em both, plus revolver, L and L10. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to shoot my single stack, other times it's my XD other times it's my EAA Witness other times my 625. :D