Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack or Production Division?

glockstan

SS for me or production when the wife shoots too. Only have one press and don't want to switch between 9x19 for her and .40 or .45 for me.

Production is an easier jump if the shooter really sticks with a "production" gun. Few of us ever do that, and I am as guilty as anyone. After spending so much time shooting a 1911, I just can't except a funny feeling, heavy trigger pull and will change EVERY set of stock sights to a permutation containing a fiber optic front and plain black rear blade. Production guns generally don't lend themselves to great trigger jobs as easily as a 1911.

I started with an SP01 in production that had been so heavily tweaked that it was overly sensitive to primer depth for Winchester primers, would hardly set off Remington primers, and would bust Federals every time. Thing is, I had over 1k in that gun, which was WAY too much and took a look when it left the safe. XDs yield an awesome trigger if your gunsmith knows their way around one, cheap mags too if the Springfield Armory accessory kits are around still. Bought three kits for 30 bucks each; broke down to 10 bucks a mag. Glocks are great too, but the exchange rate and the retail firearms industry wanting to relive the glory days of the Clinton crime bill has jacked magazine prices up, so Glock mags aren't the screaming bargain they have been. Glocks rock in 9x19, they're isn't much you can do to screw one up. In the larger calibers, too much tweaking can lead to issues and personally I'd get a fully supported barrel but the 9x19 doesn't share this issue to the same extent. Never seen a 9x19 Glock blow a case but I've seen several .40 Glocks blow a case during a match. Who knows, could be a double charge, weak brass, but whatever it is, it happens a whole lot more than with other platforms.

Set up cost could be roughly equal for both, with production being a little less expensive, although this obviously necessitates a lower cost 1911 and the STI Spartan is so head and shoulders above every current production model for less than 1K that it's the best option unless you can find a good 1911 used or from a shooting buddy who has too many and would let one go at a buddy price. Doable on a 800 dollar budget without too many compromises but that's using oem sights.

SS depending on the base gun can EASILY reach upwards of 1911. There is nothing like a well set up 1911, and it's certainly worth the money. Also there is no such thing as a drop in part on a 1911 and while everyone will work on a 1911 not everyone should. Ask around at matches and see who they use, it's the best to find a good gunsmith, who is really like a doctor; you may not need one all the time, but when you do you need one close and competent.

Now that I've shot a SS in a large match, I can say I really like the 1911 division..er Single Stack. I reload LSWC for both .40 and .45 so shooting .45 only cost marginally more (NOT wheel weights either). Recoil is nearly the same. 168 PF is 168 PF. I shoot my SS faster (splits) than my Ltd gun I swear. I can't tell from behind the gun, but the video doesn't lie. In fact, I'm rebuilding my Limited gun to feel and handle like my SS gun.

I started with a Glock in Production for the same reasons people have already listed (cost, ammo, equal equip. etc) but I soon moved to Limited for a larger competitor pool, then soon after switched to a 2011.

Now that the SSD is no longer PSSD I hope it continues to become more popular.

As for ease of moving up in classes I think it's just as easy to move up in SS as it is in Production. Two of my highest classifiers were shot in SS.

I'm an official FNG. I've shot 4 club matches and 2 major matches (Area 8 and VA/MD sectionals). My decision to shoot single stack was made for a number of reasons including:

- Tradition

- Emphasis on accuracy (its like shooting Virginia count all the time)

- Opportunity to really learn the tactics of the game through non stop reloads

- Matching grip angle for the 2011 I bought

- Something masochistic about shooting a .45 with only 8 rounds... I feel like I'm going to war.

Seth

Edited by Sethmark

As for ease of moving up in classes I think it's just as easy to move up in SS as it is in Production. Two of my highest classifiers were shot in SS.

I dissagree. Just cause your a freak with a skinny gun doesn't make it easier lol. With the SS USPSA didn't take the past years worth of classifiers and use those for HHFs to use in classifications. INstead they just took Limited 10, oh wait Limited 10 has the same HHF as Limited.....so your taking your skinny gun and competing with 2011s. Now for me the only difference is on a classifier with a reload. If there is no reload the only other major thing for me is the grip, I like that ICE magwell on my limited gun for the grip it provides.

But...if you are shooting a good classifier, you will be nailing your reload anyway. So...it probably doesn't make any difference at all. ;)

Sure it does, on some classifiers anyway, as some won't require a reload for a Limited set-up, but do with a 8+1 or in the case of an unloaded start, only 8 rounds.

Not very often, but sometimes there is a difference.

I like both but currently shoot more single stack than any other. After 2 years of revo, like Mike says, it feels like hi cap.

Anyway, if you're using this thread to decide what to get, get a gun (or three) and a rig for each of the divisions.

I shoot production for several reasons. The glock 9mm offers a bit of continuity of training for my work gun. 9mm is cheaper than even 40 by a good bit and I don't reload. Although it is the shooter not the gun in every division, I can use very competiitive equipment (a glock 34) for not a lot of money and remove any doubt in my equipment. If I was shooting single stack I would probably be shooting a Taurus. I am left handed and would want a factory installed ambi safety without having to pay 1200 bucks for a gun. I believe the Taurus would be as competiitve as I could be, but its nice to be in the best equipment your division allows....... hence production with the Glock. If I ever decide to step out of production, it will be to limited though............ To each their own. Have fun

But...if you are shooting a good classifier, you will be nailing your reload anyway. So...it probably doesn't make any difference at all. ;)

Good point, I guess you don't need the magwell for the reload, the magwell is for the missed reload, the bigger hole and tappered mags don't hurt though. Just like Jay said there are some classifiers that a limited gun doesn't have to reload on where a SS does. Then again I'm drifting the thread

Edited by steel1212

A good classifier is a good classifier and the bad ones get tossed out. In the long haul, it's just as easy to make GM in SS (limited rounds) or Production (shooting minor) as it is in L10 or Limited.

I have been shooting Open exclusively for several years. I bought a G17 a few weeks ago just because I could get a "hero" discount. I like shooting the 9mm and adapting to the trigger and grip angle only took a few hundred rounds...so I am shooting Production for the first time in years starting this Saturday. For me, shooting is all about fun and I have fun no matter what the platform. I think Flex nailed it on the first page, it really boils down to which gun you want to shoot.

Shooting SS is a blast, never really shot Production except with an HK P2000 with 200PF loads and my duty rig. Don't worry what you start with, you'll probably end up with both anyway, just don't tell you wife,

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...l=how+many+guns

9mm is the chapest ammo out there right now, and even a bit cheaper to load 9 than anything else.

Have fun,

Jason

I'm not quite sure what your question is getting at.

Are you trying to pick an entry division?

Are you trying to pick a gun and can only afford one?

Since you set the guidelines, I will give you a simple answer.

If I had to pick between the two divisions, it would be Single Stack.

I like 1911's. It's that simple.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's get outside the box.

If you can only afford one gun and you want to come out to play, consider this:

With a .40 cal Glock or XD or M&P you could play in 3 different divisions.

Fully loaded magazines let the gun run in Limited at major power factor.

Load down the magazines to 10 rounds with major ammo and your good for Limited 10

Both these options give you much more freedom for gun and magazine placement.

Load 10 rounds of minor ammo and you can play in Production.

Fully loaded with hot ammo, and presto, ... carry gun.

That's 3 USPSA divisions plus carry.

That's flexibility..... on the cheap.

Tony