Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Last Mile - RIP Rocco

ChrisStock

This morning I took my best friend Rocco to meet his maker at the vet's office after 6 years of unconditional love and protection. Diagnosed with canine lymphoma 5 days ago and he was deteriorating by the minute.

My wife brought him home to me as a rescued animal from an abusive home in 2002...he was to be the replacement for another dog that I lost in the backyard to a rattlesnake.

Great with small children, as gentle as could be.

Little.JPG

But an absolute terror to anyone approaching the house unannounced.

We walked hundreds of miles of forest trails together...chasing pigs, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels..it didn't matter...he was always game.

shade.JPG

trail1.JPG

I held his head as it happened this morning.... and wept.

You'll be sorely missed, my four legged son. I'll see you on the other side.

Edited by ChrisStock

Someone gave me this and I think its appropriate here...............Its called the Dogs prayer,

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart in me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me to do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ears.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside.......for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements.....and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.....though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land......for you are my god......and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for though I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and playand do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather, hold me in gentle arms as we part and allow skilled hands to grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest......and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Scout and I will have Rocco in our prayers tonight.

Edited by bigbrowndog

Dogs in Heaven

An old man and his dog were walking down this dirt road with fences on both sides. They came to a gate in the fence and looked in. It was nice — grassy, woody areas, just what a 'huntin' dog and man would like, but, it had a sign saying 'no trespassing' so they walked on.

They came to a beautiful gate with a person in white robes standing there.

"Welcome to Heaven," he said. The old man was happy and started in with his dog following him.

The gatekeeper stopped him. "Dogs aren't allowed. I'm sorry but he can't come with you."

"What kind of Heaven won't allow dogs? If he can't come in, then I will stay out with him. He's been my faithful companion all his life, I can't desert him now."

"Suit yourself, but I have to warn you, the Devil's on this road and he'll try to sweet talk you into his area. He'll promise you anything, but, the dog can't go there either. If you won't leave the dog, you'll spend Eternity on this road."

So the old man and dog went on. They came to a run down fence with a gap in it, no gate, just a hole. Another old man was inside. "Excuse me, Sir, my dog and I are getting mighty tired, mind if we come in and sit in the shade for awhile?"

"Of course, there's some cold water under that tree over there. Make yourselves comfortable."

"You're sure my dog can come in? The man down the road said dogs weren't allowed anywhere."

"Would you come in if you had to leave the dog?"

"No sir, that's why I didn't go to Heaven. He said the dog couldn't come in. We'll be spending Eternity on this road, and a glass of cold water and some shade would be mighty fine right about now. But, I won't come in if my buddy here can't come too, and that's final."

The man smiled a big smile and said, "Welcome to Heaven."

"You mean this is Heaven? Dogs ARE allowed? How come that fellow down the road said they weren't?"

"That was the Devil and he gets all the people who are willing to give up a lifelong companion for a comfortable place to stay. They soon find out their mistake, but, then it's too late. The dogs come here, the fickle people stay there. GOD wouldn't allow dogs to be banned from Heaven. After all, HE created them to be man's companions in life, why would he separate them in death?"

And this I found when trying to say goodbye to Georgia.

FOUR FEET

I have done mostly what men do,

And pushed it out of my mind;

But I can't forget, if I wanted to,

Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through--

Wherever my road inclined--

Four-Feet said, 'I am coming with you!'

And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round--

Which I shall never find--

Some where that does not carry the sound

Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

Kipling

Edited by JThompson

This has really been a bad weeks for dogs. :(

My girl friend's German Shepherd Lilith passed away a couple of days ago. She came to get me to go with her to the vet to put Lilith down and a faithful companion of 12 years passed away in our arms before we left home.

Tigger may or may not make it through the next few days either.

Hold Rocco's paw as he goes and hold our best wishes for you both in you heart in this trying time.

Chris-

Please accept our deepest condolences. I know you are going through hell right now. I hope you can appreciate that you did the right thing, although the most difficult. You allowed Rocco to live with love and respect and compassion, and, even knowing how difficult it would be, you let him move on with those same virtues. On 20FEB00 I had to put down my best friend Indy. To this day, I get all teary-eyed just thinking about him and get choked-up trying to talk about him. It was the absolute worst day of my life and the most difficult thing I have ever done, but I would not have changed my choice. I had to do it for Indy, just as you had to do it for Rocco. Stay strong.

-br

I'm really saddened to hear about Rocco's passing Chris. I feel like my two dogs are great friends and they are definitely card carrying members of our family. You have my condolences.

Still remember my Hound dog "Buddy" June 16, 1983 - March 28, 1993

I was 24, and he was my companion since he was 6 weeks old. I too had to do the same as you.

Words cannot really show how I feel.

memories will only get better.

Hopalong