Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Youngest Daughter in trouble

My youngest daughter, in grade 6 has managed to get herself in deep do-do at school. She is a placid child that could hurt nothing except a spider. Like her dad she is rather large but different from her dad quite quick witted.

This kid, son of the chairman of the school board, started calling her names and pushed her friend (a frail little thing) around. The next moment, completely out of the blue my daughter whacks this guy one in the mug. Says, she just could not help herself. She only realized she whacked the guy after he hit the floor. The teacher came into the class just in time to see the guy getting whacked.

The Chairman also happens to be a lawyer so I expect that there will be repercussions.

Such is the life of a parent – in my heart of hearts I cannot blame her for doing something that was apparently quite overdue and, to my dinosaur mindset, the right ting to do.

Sounds like she did the right thing, but will likely be punished at school. So you simply move on. Hopefully the boys dad will not want to make a big deal out of his son getting clocked by a girl. It is a sick thing if he does make a big deal out of it and does not get ridiculed by the rest of the public.

The world we live in... How did we get here? :surprise:

I had a similiar situation with my daughter and she was in the 4th grade at the time she is very petite for her age. some boys were picking on her friend and her, one of them hit her friend in the stomach, my daughter has a 2nd degree blackbelt from the ATA. she offered to exchange hits with the guy he hit her in the stomach. She hit him below the belt, which got his attention and he went and told the teacher, so we get to take the trip to talk to the principal. Ended up telling her not to do it again in public, and that i was proud of her in private.

It really sucked having to try to explain that to a 8 year old

Kevin

:blizzard:

Thanks to the so-called "zero tolerance" policy, it is unacceptable for one to defend themselves in public school.

I'm glad I decided against becoming a parent to human children in this twisted world. I'll stick to nurturing our five furry kids. At least I don't have to worry about their safety beyond the secure walls of our home.

Anyone who doesn't think the public school system is in bad shape is part of the problem.

Well done!!!

I tell my kids, aged 12 and 13 to NEVER start anything, but....

They have permission to finish anything that they get into. I will deal with the school.

Long time ago, I was in 4th grade, on the way home from school, 3 kids were beating the crap outta me in front of my house. My dad comes out of the house, and stops the beating. Tells them it is not a problem, but it will be done ONE AT A TIME. He asks who wants to go first. One steps up, I beat the crap outta him.

Funny, #'s 2 and 3 declined to take their turns.

That is how things should be done!!!!

:blizzard:

Un-PC maybe, but when it comes to bullies, they don't get PC.

I am going to have disagree with you on this one. The worst thing that we can do as good citezens is to stop having kids. If all the good citizens refrain from child bearing they are leaving the future to the offspring of those that are having kids. Obviously not what we want... Being a parent of a kid is not easy (I have 4 with 1 on the way) but I really love my kids, most of the time! :roflol:

Thanks to the so-called "zero tolerance" policy, it is unacceptable for one to defend themselves in public school.

I'm glad I decided against becoming a parent to human children in this twisted world. I'll stick to nurturing our five furry kids. At least I don't have to worry about their safety beyond the secure walls of our home.

Anyone who doesn't think the public school system is in bad shape is part of the problem.

I learned a hard lesson early in life. According to the judge, nothing anyone ever says is justification to inflict bodily harm on another person. It was a hard lesson to learn but the judge made it easy for me to remember (he was an A$$).

Though we would like to cheer her on and pat her back, it's not really good upbringing and will only hurt her in the future. I know some girls that think they can strike a man because they can get away with it since "you should never hit a girl". Two wrongs does not a right make.

If she gets suspended for a day, have a day out with her and enjoy yourselves. Life is too short and making the best (for her) of it is all we can do when faced with school systems that reward bullies and punish those who stand up for themselves. It is obvious she is being tought honor, and whats right, by those of you at home. Bravo to you and your daughter.

I am going to have disagree with you on this one. The worst thing that we can do as good citezens is to stop having kids. If all the good citizens refrain from child bearing they are leaving the future to the offspring of those that are having kids. Obviously not what we want... Being a parent of a kid is not easy (I have 4 with 1 on the way) but I really love my kids, most of the time! :roflol:

I didn't criticize you for choosing to procreate. All I said was I'm glad I decided against becoming a parent to human children in this twisted world. I really don't think I'm a bad citizen for refusing to commit myself to a major responsibility such as procreation.

Besides, the five furry kids my wife and I are nurturing were all abandoned by those who chose to accept the responsibility of caring for these other living creatures of God, but obviously they failed to maintain this responsibility, or their 'pets' wouldn't be in our custody.

Edited by Cat355

My little brother had severe scholiosis and was in a back brace from his neck to nuts. The curvature in his spine was so bad his hip was displaced 2" requiring him to also wear prosthetic shoes and 1 had a 2" lift to upright him. He was constantly bullied and I beat dozens of kids. during my suspensions I would spend the day with my proud papa going to movies, eating chili burgers and picking up model kits to build while I was out of school. as Z mentioned. My dad always told me to never start a fight... just end em; So thats what I did. After being kicked out of the school district for the 3rd time my dad took me out and bought me a new BMX. He told me it wasnt a present for being a bad child, it was for always being the one to end the fights and he was very proud.

All this politically correct BS w kids these days is developing a global phenomenom of little wussies! your girl did the right thing. now take her out for ice cream and praise her for her selfless act. I don't see a lawyer getting involved in something the law didn't get involved in.

I am so glade my Daughter goes to a school were the principal loves her sniper shirt. (Don't run you will only die tired) And if she had clocked a boy she would have got a medal! Oh next year I am going to be a shooting coach on the weekends for them! 4H shooting sports! I always tell my daughter to protect the weaker girls! Tell her she was 100% correct in defending her friend!!!!

The Chairman also happens to be a lawyer so I expect that there will be repercussions.

This also seems to be a pattern. The more powerful the parent the more worthless the child.

If the kid was on an equal footing with others in his class the chances of him becoming a bully is greatly diminished. But you can bet his momma is telling him "your daddy is a lawyer, you can do whatever you want and no one can stop you."

I've seen the "pattern" repeated from kindergarten through college. Some kids grow out of it. Some just grow more worthless.

Bill

That's too bad. Things must be very different in Southg Africa. Around here, your daughter would face whatever the school discipline policy called for and that would be the end of it...until she smacked another kid in the snot locker.

My little brother had severe scholiosis and was in a back brace from his neck to nuts. The curvature in his spine was so bad his hip was displaced 2" requiring him to also wear prosthetic shoes and 1 had a 2" lift to upright him. He was constantly bullied and I beat dozens of kids. during my suspensions I would spend the day with my proud papa going to movies, eating chili burgers and picking up model kits to build while I was out of school. as Z mentioned. My dad always told me to never start a fight... just end em; So thats what I did. After being kicked out of the school district for the 3rd time my dad took me out and bought me a new BMX. He told me it wasnt a present for being a bad child, it was for always being the one to end the fights and he was very proud.

All this politically correct BS w kids these days is developing a global phenomenom of little wussies! your girl did the right thing. now take her out for ice cream and praise her for her selfless act. I don't see a lawyer getting involved in something the law didn't get involved in.

+1 I am with you on this one...

Yeah well, my folks always told me it was better to walk away than to fight, and they were right. I was also told not to start a fight but if someone brought one to me to end it. I had an older/bigger brother and we fought a LOT, but fighting with him was ok. I still got in trouble for it, but not like the trouble I'd get into later in life. I was an average sized kid and must have appeared as an easy target in the 6th and 7th grade of school as I got into a lot of fights. At my middle school, people were always trying to be popular and "cool" and being the dominant kid at break was a sought after position. So in 6th and 7th grade I was just picked on, by 8th grade I was the guy you had to go through to be considered "the big guy on campus". I never wanted that status, but I wasn't going to let anyone kick my butt either. Years and years of fighting with my brother toughened me up, taught me to defend myself, and made me as mean as a bucket of rattlesnakes. So my 8th grade year of school it seemed like 1 fight after another. I tried to get away from them and it eventually resulted in me staying inside at break and not being able to hang out with my friends because if I went outside with everyone else chances were I was going to get into a fight with the next guy that wanted to be known as the bad ass on campus. Anybody that knows me can tell you I am a kind and generous person that is as easy to get along with as anyone. I've always been that way. Back in school I was very shy and quiet and a good student. The warrior in me was just not going to get beat up though. In grade school, you get sent to the principals office and your parents were called and you got a spanking. Well if I got one at school I got one when I got home also. After they get tired of seeing your face in the office you start going to "in-school suspension". So needless to say I got in lot of trouble and I never started a fight. My point is, when your a kid the ramifications are minor, but when you get older they turn into major consequences. I went through high school with very little trouble. Nobody wanted to pick fights with me anymore. Then graduation night I was at an after graduation party and some of the guys were drinking. It was a huge outside party and just about everybody was there. There was this one guy there that I knew and considered him a friend, I guess he wasn't though. I knew something was up when I saw the group of people he was with looking in the direction of the group I was standing with. I'm not a drinker so I was completely sober, and didn't think I would be the target of the drama. When the group migrated our way I was the one they called out. Seems this guy I thought was my friend wanted to know why I set his ex girlfriend up with another guy. The other guy was standing there too WITH his ex but he called ME out. Maybe because the other guy was one of the big tight end football stars but either way he picked me. So I walked to the back of the car and he began questioning me about my involvement in the 2 being together. I explained I had nothing to do with it but that wasn't good enough for him. He told me to keep my nose out of his business or he was going to kick my butt. I said "OK" and turned to walk away and he sucker punched me. I turned back around and told him that was a mistake. He swung again and I dodged his punch and sent one of my own. He hit the ground and I told him not to get up. He did and it was on from there. The first punch he through (sucker punch) was the only one he landed and I kept telling him not to get up, I didn't want to hurt him. When he got up the second time I kind of let loose and sort of blacked out on him. He went to the hospital with severe lacerations around his ocular bones and I went to jail. It was a serious embarrassment for my whole family. When I went to court I subpoena all of the people that were standing close by and the judge declared it self defense and tossed it out. His parents then tried to sue me in civil court for damages and pain and suffering. It was also tossed out of court. There was 2 more instances that followed in the next couple years and I got got arrested both times. Both times I was attacked. In one case I took a loaded shotgun away from a guy and broke the stock over his face and I still got arrested. I like to think I was just a victim of circumstances but it landed me back in court again. By this point the judge was really tired of seeing my face and was starting to think I was trouble waiting to happen. He told me if he saw me in there again for fighting he'd ban me from the county. Long story short, I learned my lesson, and I avoid altercation at whatever cost. I'll let someone slap me and I'll walk away if I can. It's not worth all the trouble. Under NO circumstances is it legal to strike someone unless you are defending your persons or property. Being the hero will land you straight in the clink too, ask me how I know!

I wrote a fairly lengthy letter to letter to the school pointing out that my daughter did report the bullying on several occasions and that no steps were taken. The letter was non-confrontational and friendly. Before the teachers had a meeting about this, another child reported another occurrence of swearing by this child and the bully was promptly served with a "detention letter". Obviously the school has had enough.

The class teacher discussed the occurrence with my daughter and that was the end of that. I am taking my daughter shopping this weekend, not because she beat another child, but to try and explain to a 12 year old that you can do the right thing and still get into do-do. That is going to be kinda hard since I have always taught my children to do what is right. Now she also has to learn it sometimes has a price.

Think about it, what she did was surely not right but also not wrong. People are telling her that what she did was great, and yes it was, but she cannot go through life beating other people. But she also cannot stand passively by while her friends are hurt. Life is like that, but we should not learn that before we are old and grown up. Kids should play and be happy because once you are grown-up the time for playing is over.

As a child, the correct protocol would be to notify a teacher or school official immediately. As an adult we are to dial 911 at the first sign of trouble. Taking the law into your own hands might be a noble thing to do, but it can sure get you in a lot of trouble.