Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the average of a USPSA Shooter?

Started in 1984 at age 32. Our club joined USPSA in mass in January, 1986 (TY-3880) and, until last night, have not shot a match in anything but OPEN for the past 22 years.

Back then OPEN was a ..45 ACP Colt 1911 with a Wilson LEK single port comp installed.

Bill

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started at 44, 45 now. B class LIM and REV. Saw a show on the Outdoor channel that turned me onto practical shooting. Looked it up on the web,

discovered a local club, some of them shot at another club, etc. etc.. Now I shoot 2-3 matches a week, my IRA hasn't seen a dime from me in over a

year and the Mailman has a hernia from my bullet orders. Kinda wish I had started at a younger age, but I don't think I would own a home if I had.

Shot my first IDPA match in Feb 2006. I had just turned 36. My USPSA match was 2 months later. Started in SSP as a Sharpshooter and C Class in production. One year later I moved to Limited exclusively and made B class. Now starting my 3rd year I made A and no longer shoot IDPA.

Edited by Brazos SC Shooter

Started the first time in the late 70's-early 80's. The club I belonged to didn't want to be a member of USPSA and there were only a couple of us that traveled to out of town matches. I shot my first SOF match in 1983. About then I joined USPSA for the first time then let my membership lapse until about 1987. I've shot with single stack .45, then a Clark Pin Barrel .45, then a single port .45. Last year I bought a .38 Super Open gun to shoot in the USPSA. In 1980 I was 38. I made B class just prior to attending the 1988 Nationals. But when I dropped out I had to start over. Now I'm older and slower and seem to be stuck in C class. It'd change if I got out a practiced more.

started when I was 24, now I'm 46. my NROI class was taught by dave and marilynn standford, at my 1st match, there was a total of one 45 comp gun, one 45 pin gun and everyone else shot a colt gov't model in 45 of course. almost everyone shot rigs made from dead animals made by ted blocker, davis, or bianchi.

and my original number was A2812, I sure wish I could have kept it when I went life 10 years ago.

Started in USPSA when I was 25, turning 30 next month. I started out shooting Limited Minor with a stock CZ75, had a brief flirtation with a Glock 35 Limited gun, have been shooting a 9mm M&P in Production for the last year and a half, and I'm waiting on the parts to complete my STI Limited Gun build. I also enjoy 3-gun.

- Chris

My last assignment in the Army was at "levels above reality" USSOCOM in Tampa. It was so far removed from the fight I wasnt issued a weapon and was told I was going to "maneuver" on the digital battlefield now and issued two computers instead!!!!

So I sought out USPSA at 42, but didnt really get serious until 43, am 45 now. Started out as a C in LTD 10, made B in LTD and currently a B in Production. Have the potential for A, lately just not the time or focus to make the push!

Edited by CDRODA396

Started shooting USPSA beginning of last year at 33. Classified only in Production C class. Like many others I wish I was able to start much younger. I am working on getting my daughter into it now. Great sport and there are many things you can learn from it that applies to other aspects of life.

I would have to say that the "AVERAGE" competetive shooter should be a 35-45 year old

white guy, "slightly " overweight with a goatee!! Income-50-120K, Married, 21 kids,

also enjoys nice cars and good beer, has a seperated bank account to hide toy purchases

from wife, is usually in trouble for not being home on the weekend "again"...

Now that looks familiar....

Not USPSA but the real IPSC :P but....

Started in 90-91 when I was 26, I'm now 43. Have always shot Open, though for the first two years with a comped CZ but no dot. Started at D grade, now at A grade and holding....

Regards

Mumbles

52 years young now and started when I was a tike of 49. Been in "B" Limited / L-10 / and Open for a while. I really think I can move up if I stay serious with my practice and continue to lose weight (32lbs so far). Going to the Nat's this year has me fired up to continue my current dry/live fire practice.

The good news is my wife can't tell one gun from another so I don't have to tell any stories... :unsure:

i think i was 46 when i started, 49 now. my first competition was GSSF a year before i got into USPSA. for USPSA i shoot open, limited, SS, and starting to shoot revolver. i also shoot carbine when ever or where ever i can and in the past i've shot production and L10.

I think it would really point out how important our Juniors and the Junior program are.

As a 39 year old and almost always the youngest guy in the squad, there's something wrong with that picture.

I think we should be doing all we can to keep this sport young.

Maybe that *is* the demographic, and the picture just...is what it is for a reason.

It's like a bunch of bird-watchers getting together and saying, "Hey, our average age is 58! We need to recruit younger members to our hobby." Perhaps. Or, you just keep replenishing from an older population, 'cause others aren't interested or don't have the time for the hobby.

I'm all for Juniors (and Seniors and women, and anyone who wants to shoot). But that's a tiny segment you're going after, and it's not tough to see why there aren't more of them:

1) They can't drive.

2) They don't have incomes.

3) Shooting involves hanging out with "Dad & Dad's friends." Not cool after a certain age.

4) Highly questionable "cool factor" among peers.

5) No music, few drugs and fewer chicks (see "#3 ").

6) No scholarships, & no significant $ from shooting as a career, except for an extreme minority.

I think if USPSA were your business, instead of a non-profit organization, how much would you spend out of your pocket to advertise to teenagers and pre-teens?

I like seeing Junior shooters, because every one I've met has been polite, and enthuthiastic about the sport. But if you want growth and money from discretionary spending, I think it's a different segment of the populace.

I started USPSA last October 07 was 40, now 41.

...started shooting subgun matches spring of 02

...started mountain biking in 89 (we didn't even have shocks), racing them in 92

I wish I had started everything sooner...

Still trying to figure out where I am...Lim, Lim10...but SS seems to be where I fit right now...I love challenges

I think it would really point out how important our Juniors and the Junior program are.

As a 39 year old and almost always the youngest guy in the squad, there's something wrong with that picture.

I think we should be doing all we can to keep this sport young.

Maybe that *is* the demographic, and the picture just...is what it is for a reason.

It's like a bunch of bird-watchers getting together and saying, "Hey, our average age is 58! We need to recruit younger members to our hobby." Perhaps. Or, you just keep replenishing from an older population, 'cause others aren't interested or don't have the time for the hobby.

I'm all for Juniors (and Seniors and women, and anyone who wants to shoot). But that's a tiny segment you're going after, and it's not tough to see why there aren't more of them:

1) They can't drive.

2) They don't have incomes.

3) Shooting involves hanging out with "Dad & Dad's friends." Not cool after a certain age.

4) Highly questionable "cool factor" among peers.

5) No music, few drugs and fewer chicks (see "#3 ").

6) No scholarships, & no significant $ from shooting as a career, except for an extreme minority.

I think if USPSA were your business, instead of a non-profit organization, how much would you spend out of your pocket to advertise to teenagers and pre-teens?

I like seeing Junior shooters, because every one I've met has been polite, and enthuthiastic about the sport. But if you want growth and money from discretionary spending, I think it's a different segment of the populace.

I believe you have nailed it. I saw the same demographics in skeet and sporting clays. Juniors are transients to the sport. They shoot a very few years with Dad and move on.

While I would like to believe the junior shooters are the future of the sport, they won't be until after the ~20 year break while they get jobs, raise a family,etc.

I suspect the average age of the active USPSA shooter is close to 50.

Dave

I believe you have nailed it. I saw the same demographics in skeet and sporting clays. Juniors are transients to the sport. They shoot a very few years with Dad and move on.

While I would like to believe the junior shooters are the future of the sport, they won't be until after the ~20 year break while they get jobs, raise a family,etc.

I suspect the average age of the active USPSA shooter is close to 50.

Dave

I restarted my favorite hobbies after 35 years of school, marriage, children, etc. :cheers:

After they left the house, I resumed shooting and motorcycle riding.

So I've always been a USPSA "senior" class, except for 1 day during the switch to 55 under the 2008 rules (when I was evidently classless).

I think the several hundred dollars a month just to shoot local matches and practice is enough to skew the demographics to an older group of mostly males. That said, I shoot with a bunch of 20 somethings. So it's a younger crowd for me. :rolleyes:

Joined USPSA in '93, age 37. Played pretty consistently throughout, but never really practiced much. Pushing a bit harder, made A in Limited, trying for same in Production, but life keeps getting in the way. :rolleyes:

Started when I was 30yrs old now 35, Started about 6 months on limited, then switched to open class right away. I have been shooting open class for 4 yrs and 6 months. Currently Master class but after Grauffel's class, I'm now starting all over again!! I say I'm a C class!