Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Koenig Low Mass Hammers On A Limited Gun?

Jack Suber

For those of you that have them, what do you think of them? Can you really notice a difference in lock-time? What sear do you use with them (I haven't seen that there is an accompanying sear available with them). How much fitting is required? Do you run a standard hammer strut or do you use titanium? How about mainsprings - lighter say 15#? These have always gotten my curiosity so I thought I would ask for opinions. Thanks.

Jack

jack,

that's my exact set-up.. i use the svi tri-glide system with the doug keoing hammer. it's the best set-up going. very reliable trigger pull and light feeling. i just dropped them in the gun and they worked fine. i kept the 18# mainspring and i did put a titanium strut in because i won one. :D

lynn jones

Got two of them...both with EGW hard sears...I like them a lot...not sure of the mainspring,,think its a 17# or 18#. One has a Ti strut the other a steel..mainly cuz that is what George put in them...

I have the Koenig hammer in my limited gun, 17lb main spring, STI s7 match grade sear. The hammer needed to be slightly polished on both sides to fit in my STI, but the hooks were perfect. I have a tri-glide trigger system and the strut and firing pin are ti. Works great and I'm putting the same set up in my open gun.

Well, I installed a Keonig Low Mass Hammer (Match) and an EGW sear in my STI Edge last Thursday. I shot it in a match Saturday. I must say that I really like it. It is a completely different feel. I had been running a 15lb mainspring and with the old hammer, things seemed sort of "mushy." When dry-firing, it seemed that the hammer didn't hit with too much force (perhaps the light mainspring exaggerated this feeling but I like the way the pistol shoots with the lighter mainspring). Anyway, with the new hammer, the hammer falls with definite force. It is much crisper than my old setup. The only thing that will take some getting used to is the "ping" it makes when dry-firing. It is weird.

I tried to set it up with the Tri-glide system I have and had no success whatsoever. If I set it (the hammer, sear, and tri-glide system) up with a trigger weight of less than 2.5lbs, the hammer would follow. If I left it at 2.5, it felt terrible and took forever to reset. The only time it felt good was when it was set at 2lbs, but, the hammer would follow every time I tested it. So, I bagged it and went with the standard trigger, disconnect, and sear spring.

Just thought I would let y'all know how it went. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack

Hi all

I'm running an SPS frame&slide with STI Roupe grip, Recoil Master, Doug Koenig hammer and an SV Tri-Glide set.

I have built the gun from a standard factory SPS Custom. (It is a copy of the 2011 design)

One of the first things to change was the hammer and strut. It was amazing to see the speedup of the hammer movement.

The "ping" noise was a bit disturbing at the beginning, (first I thought my firing pin is broken by the new hammer) :blink:

Trying with different setups it was evident that it reliably ignites loads with a much lighter mainspring, = easing up trigger pull.

I was still not sataisfied with the trigger pull so I have changed to SV Tri-glide kit, which was a nightmare to install properly. :wacko: Now it reliably works with a 1.8lbs trigger pull.

You can read some info about the disconnector related problems, but bending the back of the oversized bow helped.

I do think you just can't get a better setup than that.

(Hmm.. I forgot to mention the Cylinder&Slide Ultra low-mass sear)

I have 6 of the Koenig Premium Match Hammers. They are in 38 Supers & 45's. Here is a list of the rest of the parts that are used but Tommy A. does all my trigger work. ;) All 6 are breaking between 17 & 19 ozs.

• STI Premium Grade Sear
  • STI Titanium Strut
  • STI Titanium Mainspring Cap
  • STI Titanium Match Trigger
  • Ed Brown Match Disconnector
  • ISMI 15 Lb. Mainspring

18oz's? I'd be worried about ADing while seating a mag - not from having a finger in the trigger guard but from the impact of seating a mag. I have heard of this happening and I am pretty sure I witnessed it while ROing a guy at a local match. He had a VERY light trigger. (I dry-fired the gun and it gave me chills.) Anyway, we were shooting a speed that required a reload. The guy got to the reload (he did not have his finger on the trigger) and slammed the mag in the gun. BANG!!! I guess it is the result of a poor trigger job or worn parts. I have had mine set as low as 1.5lbs but I feel more comfortable at about 1.75lbs. Just me, though. Later,

Jack

• 9 months later...

do you guys put a peice of paper in between the hammer and the firing pin stop to prevent the hammer from breaking? The svi hamer is about 54 to 56 rockwell hardness. Do you guys have infor on the koenig hammer hardness?

Really? Don't you just get a lighter trigger pull with a lighter hammer, all else being equal?

Erik,

No. Trigger pull weight is influenced by a wide variety of factors, but within reason, the hammer's weight isn't one of them. Basically, unless the sear/hammer angles are way off, the hammer is pretty much at rest during the entire time the trigger is moving the sear to release the hammer. The most important ingredient of a good, clean, reliable trigger pull is the sear angle. The sear angle determines if the sear actually cocks or de-cocks the hammer as the trigger is pulled. And if the sear angle is set up properly, the hammer will remain absolutely neutral as the sear drags across the hooks.

be

• 7 years later...

I'm trying to figure out why the half cock notch never works correctly. Buddy of mine just put one in his gun and the hammer will fall if the trigger is pulled from half cock. The trigger in his gun doesn't have pretravel notches so it's not their adjustment.

Edited by twodownzero

You can find a viable option to Koenig Hammers and EGW sears with Infinity Ignition kit.

It consists of a Hammer, sear, disconnector and Triglide titanium sear spring.

The trigger pull on my Infinity pistols are simply awesome.