Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Tap CHAMPIONSHIP 2009

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GamingGoddess - cool videos. Hey I'm on youtube - I was the RO on stage 2 with the teeter totters. The conditions were unbelievable. I shot the match on Thursday and was comfortable in short sleeves :) Friday was horrible. Our targets were facing the rain, and when we bagged them when it started drizzling, a gust of wind blew them all into Oklahoma!! We were replacing targets about every 10 shooters because the tape wouldn't stick. I felt really bad for the shooters, but everyone handled it great.

It was funny seeing other entrants in Academy sports in Wichita Falls on Friday night buying all of the nonexistent cold weather gear.

Saturday morning was brutal cold, with a powerful north wind. But enough about the weather, this was my first DT match, and I thought the stages were great, and I really had a great time. It was awesome getting to RO such a great group of shooters.

No question, I felt bad for you guys whenever it rained (or when the mist would settle in). I had to literally pat the cardboard targets with my sleeve to dry it before attempting to tape over the holes because they kept falling off. I should have video taped the amount of times plastic bags would fly off the stands into the air, causing the ROs to find another bag. With any luck, maybe someone could make a business in making special target covers for matches anticipating poor weather.

That's two in a row for Yong at DTC. :cheers:

Way to go Yong!

Shot with Yong last year and man, he's a d@mned fine shooter!

After hearing how bad the weather was on Sat I'm not as upset that the snow blocked my path to the match....I hope they'll send me my shirt :P

It's going to take at least a day to recover from this match. I am physically and mentally drained. This was my first BIG match experience and it was great! I have much respect and admiration for the folks that made this match happen, especially the RO's. It takes a special kind of nut case to volunteer for a job like that. Freezing rain, snow, high winds, and blowing red dust all in one weekend. I was expecting to hear Gabriel's horn at any moment. :o

This was my first major USPSA match and I am really impressed. The match was very well run in spite of the weather conditions. The stages were great and the RO's were giving all they had to help us have fun. The stages were full of things to distract us from the shooting and showed tremendous thought and a lot of work.

Next year the weather will be perfect. :roflol:

Bill

I hope this post makes sense since I'm too tired to think straight and I ache all over. Its hard to conceive that I traveled 900 miles due south for colder weather. I hope I never have to wear long underwear in Texas again. :surprise:

Kudos to all involved in this incredible match. Only the guys at Double Tap could put on a match during such adverse condtions and make so many shooters so happy. Stages were great, RO's were wonderful, and I look back with no regrets.

Squad 22 rocked!!!!!

Everybody worked hard on stage reset, old friends were seen again and new friends made.

I can only hope that there are more matches this season that will be as enjoyable.

Til we meet again Double Tappers......have a great year.

Lee

It's going to take at least a day to recover from this match. I am physically and mentally drained. :o

No such luck... Shot it Friday during the apocalypse, you could hear the 4 horsemen somewhere off to the north. Interestign shooting while wearing 13 pound cleats on each foot... And still sliding. (teeter totter stage was real interesting in those conditions) Fired last round just after 6pm and threw the gear in the truck and drove like hell to Waco to be up shooting LaRue at 7:30am the next morning.

Yeah, I'm sore now. <_< But with a big grin to go along with it.

edit: Robert, those of us who trophied, do we need to send you an address? Pay for shipping? Call for info? Sit at home and be S.O.L.? Help a brotha out.

Edited by ken hebert

Hello: It was not that bad Sunday afternoon :roflol: I even brought out the urban tactical shorts. I would like to thank all the RO's and staff for there fine work and dedication. I would also like to thank all the guys of squad 23 and the one lady. It was a real pleasure shooting with all of you. Sorry, I can't remember all your real names or your Enos family names. I also want to thank the single stack guys for the great competition and now I know what I need to work on :cheers: It was a fun match with some different stages. Thanks, Eric

Ok, I've heard a lot of interesting, uh... rumors? ... about what caused the delay with Squad 21 on stage 12. I thought I might at least inject some facts to it... I'll reserve personal comment on the goings on <_<

We were scheduled to shoot that stage before lunch, but were told to go to lunch after Stage 11 (there were general delays going on, and a full squad or so left to shoot 12 when we got done with 11). We were given our walk through on 12 around 1:20-1:25. My first video from that stage (of Bryan_W) starts at 1:35, and he wasn't the first shooter. So, at this point, we're a stage behind (per the RM, who told us to go to lunch to help get 12 unclogged).

Some of the more "creative" guys on the squad found a way to brace against the walls in the center port, and lean out and engage the left and right arrays from the center port. It was an awkward position that required some time to get into, and gave you some tricky angles onto the left and right arrays.

The first delay popped up due to what amounted to a miss that clipped the non-scoring border of the target. The shooter argued that he called the shot on the target, because he saw about 1/16" of overlap of the shoot target and the target behind it (the ROs had stapled new targets over the old ones to preserve the target position, and the overlay wasn't quite perfect). A 2nd shooter saw fit to enter the discussion, the RM was called, and then the MD was called. A decision was made to award the shooter a D (his 6th on the stage - remember what I said about tricky angles?), and then to mark all the targets, tear all of them down, and staple up new targets so that there was no overlap. For whatever reason, this process took quite a while - something like 20 minutes, once the decision to put up new targets was made.

I think Steve Menzik (the RM) had his first aneurysm around this point. :surprise:

Unfortunately, in the process of stapling up new targets in the semi-dark, one of the targets was installed upside down (IPSC Standard targets, so this can happen). The next shooter up shot the stage that way, and was required to reshoot because of the upside down target. This was only really a minor delay, but its significant because of what happened his next time up. This shooter was using a "hybrid" strategy, shooting the left side around the left fault line, and then taking the center and right from the center port. In his reshoot, the shooter managed to clip the electrical cord on the right side of the stage that ran from a power box to the front of the stage for the skull and maybe one or two of the black lights (remember, I said tricky angles, right?)

The RM was called, and Menzik had his second aneurysm.

The cord was repaired after a 10-15 minute delay. Its now 2:32 when the first shooter after the repair goes (yes... that was me...). Another few shooters go with no issue, and then someone else clips an electrical cord shooting the right array from the center port. I'm told - but wasn't there - that a small-ish fire started. Even if it didn't, the fire risk was there with live electrical cords and all that. RM was called, as was the MD. A determination was made to alter the stage to prevent the angle on the right side array, so that the electrical cords were protected. If I understand (and observed) correctly, this was done by moving the barrels that bracketed the center door/port forward slightly (maybe about a foot), and anchoring everything down more solidly (shooters bracing against those walls in the center were also moving the barrels, etc.

I've heard all manner of things about the change of the stage. Yes, the barrels were there the whole time. No, other than folks on Squad 21, no one else shot the stage the way some folks on 21 did. As far as rules and actions taken by the match staff, I think the only thing they did improperly was to not require the 2nd shooter who clipped the cord to reshoot the stage, post-repair - see 3.2.6.1. Any other discussion around "the super squad was treated specially" should be dropped now. The match staff did what they needed to do to keep the match safe. And, really, did we want to delay anything further by having another reshoot?

During the time that the changes were being made to the stage, the two shooters mentioned up toward the top proceeded to argue rules with the MD and RM about what changes they were making and why that meant those shooters (who both had poor points on target as a result of their choice of stage strategy and their execution of same) should get reshoots or that the stage should be thrown out. I don't know how much additional time that "discussion" added to the delay, but it seemed to center around the mistaken fact that later shooters were going to be denied the stage plan that the stage winner used. I do know the discussion pretty much ended when it was pointed out that the stage winner shot the stage straight up.

My first video (also of Bryan_W) on stage 13 starts at 3:52. He was a couple of shooters down, and it seemingly took a long time to get the squad down to the stage. So, I believe we left Stage 12 around 3:30-3:35. Any notion of waiting for 3-4 hours because of the "Super Squad" is rather a bit over stated. All told, it was an extra hour-ish of delay caused by the ... actions ... described above.

As far as waiting on us all day goes, we waited on the squad in front of us on our second stage. Then, one of the afore mentioned two shooters proceeded to cause an argument with the ROs over the WSB for the second stage, had the RM called, and a discussion ensued. That was a good 10-ish minute delay - after we'd waited for a couple of shooter's to get onto the stage. It pretty much set the tone for the match, as well. After that, things seemed to bog down, although I'm hard pressed to define why - everyone was resetting the stage and getting things done as you'd expect.

I've also heard something to the effect that "the Jamaicans are part the problem". That's also untrue. Yes, Ryan Gourzong was the 2nd shooter to clip the electrical cord, but he was just shooting a stage strategy that the course of fire made possible. I wasn't in the bay for any discussion that happened immediately following his run - so I don't know what was said between him and the match staff, and can't comment on that at all. Otherwise, the folks from Jamaica were "Johnny on the spot" with resetting the stages, being ready to shoot, etc. One of them even happened to take HOA ;) John Lee even handled things well when I acted like an ass to him because I was mistaken about the shooting order (yes, the shooter who agreed to write down the order on the first stage failed to do so, so we had no set order). I'd happily shoot with Lesgar, John, Ryan, Susan, and Bassilios any time.

I can tell you that the match staff (including 3 forum members) handled the stage 12 debacle with grace and class. Hopefully, they'll release Menzik from the funny farm soon so he can start working on trophies for next year ;)

Squad 21 was on the range until 8:30pm. Our last three or so shooters essentially shot stage 3 in the dark. None of them were part of the "problem" earlier in the day, and they got royally screwed by it in my estimation. That was unfair to those folks (no, I was not one of them). The whole long day of delays was unfair to the ROs (who graciously stayed late to get us back on schedule), the rest of the squad, and the other squads who were affected by the delays - at least one squad jumped around stages under the RM's direction, and still had to end up waiting to shoot stage 12 (I'm not saying Steve exacerbated their delay - he was just trying to keep them shooting).

The ROs kicked ass. The stages were fun, and fit the "Double Tap" mold perfectly. The weather... well, it was North Texas in March. What can I say. :lol: The folks who shot on Friday had it worse, in my estimation, simply due to the precip - we had it colder and a little windier on Saturday, but being dry goes a long way. It was cool to see a couple of guys prevail despite the conditions they had to put up with to shoot the match. Bundled up, Saturday actually wasn't too bad, in the end. Sunday was great - crisp in the morning, but it warmed up nicely to about 70.

I haven't seen it mentioned, yet - the scores were ready much more quickly this year. Awards were over, and the random prize table started before 3:30!!! Nice job, guys!!!

Also, Steve Menzik made some great trophies again this year. I was lucky enough to take one home, this time. Even though its for "first loser", its going in a nice spot in my office! :D Very cool stuff. I hope Steve will continue to contribute to the match in this way in the future.

Thanks again, Robert - I'm already looking forward to "Yabba Dabba Do"ing it again next year ;)

I was the CRO for stage 12 and I just wanted to let all the shooters know how much I appreciated their good attitudes in the conditions we had. Once we got through our delay that was spoken of in the above statement, we ran shooters through like a well oiled machine. All the shooters came to the line ready to shoot and helped reset the stage without fail. This was my first major match to RO and I think everthing went well despite a couple of setbacks. Most of the shooters informed me on how fun the stage was and thanked us for our stage work. Stage 12 was the one place to escape the weather conditions for a short break and I enjoyed talking to all the shooters. I have a new and well deserved dislike for the combination of cold weather, lead bullets, and tite group powder. I think I have miners black lung disease now :rolleyes:

This was a GREAT match! I had an awesome time despite the conditions. As Dave said, I think the Friday guys had it MUCH worse! By the way Dave, congratulations on your win!!!

BIG thanks to Robert and all the RO's for enduring the full spectrum of weather conditions!

Already looking forward to next year! :cheers:

Thomas

Got home about 12:10 am . First of All, A gerat big THANK YOU to all of the match staff !!!!!!!!.

I and all others I talked to agreed that the weather was brutal on staurday, but it could have been worse. Our squad (14) prevailed and finished the match. A few could not make the trip and unfortunately we lost a shooter on stage one.

We only had one backup to shoot our final stage on saturday. The stages were great, the match staff was very courteous and professional.

The prize table was very good, I think everyone got something.

It was unfortunate to hear that the dark house will no longer be used, I have enjoyed the two stages that it was used for. Steve told me after the match that it was built and intended to only be used for last year, and they were stretching it to use it for one more year. It will be missed.

It was unfortunate to hear that the dark house will no longer be used, I have enjoyed the two stages that it was used for. Steve told me after the match that it was built and intended to only be used for last year, and they were stretching it to use it for one more year. It will be missed.

Don't worry, Damon. I'm sure Robert will conjure up something equally fun for next year ;)

Got home about 12:10 am . First of All, A gerat big THANK YOU to all of the match staff !!!!!!!!.

I and all others I talked to agreed that the weather was brutal on staurday, but it could have been worse. Our squad (14) prevailed and finished the match. A few could not make the trip and unfortunately we lost a shooter on stage one.

We only had one backup to shoot our final stage on saturday. The stages were great, the match staff was very courteous and professional.

I was on 14 as well. I hated to see the one shooter go, but he was a good sport. I really had a great time at this match and enjoyed meeting all the new faces. Even though the weather was what it was, I cant think of anything I would have rather spent my weekend doing other wise.

I had the pleasure shooting in squad 21 with Dave, Glenn, Scott and the Jamaican crew. This was my first big USPSA match and had a wonderful time. Dave is right on point with everything that went on stage 12. It was just as frustrating for everyone on squad 21. Look forward to shooting a couple more major matches this year and hopefully bring home a trophy for winnnig my class. thanks to all the Ro's and MD. great match and looking forward to next year.

Squad 14 rocked. I am sorry that G-ManBart couldn't make the trip. I would have liked to meet him as I think I have benefited from many of his posts on the forum. I felt really bad about RangerTrace. It was bad luck as much as anything else and he was a true gentleman.

I am proud to say that I survived without a DQ, a Mike or a No-shoot, and only 1 procedural and no frostbite.

Thanks to the MD, RM, ROs and staff. It was a great match conducted under very trying to circumstances. Y'all come on down to the Space City Challenge April 17th - 19th (Space City Challenge Web Site and we'll return the favor without the icy wind.

Jack

Got home about 12:10 am . First of All, A great big THANK YOU to all of the match staff !!!!!!!!.

I was on 14 as well. I hated to see the one shooter go, but he was a good sport. I really had a great time at this match and enjoyed meeting all the new faces. Even though the weather was what it was, I cant think of anything I would have rather spent my weekend doing other wise.

To start off Great Thanks to the staff, I had a blast. :roflol:

I was on Squad 23, my 6th match of any shooting sport and my first Major Match.

Being still new to the sport the only thing in my mind was don’t get DQed….

Luckily I didn’t. Thank God!

Anyway, I like to borrow this place to thank the guy that lend me his clear eye protection and sorry I forgot your name. I am sure I wouldn’t make it with my dark Oakley.

Also, Craig for his gloves, Barry to getting me in to the sport and coming down from Utah.

Sure thing this is a friendly sport. Just Love it! :goof:

Edited by Txkid