Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I really don't care if it is quiet or not, not even if I am a single point down on the last stage of the match and I want to win as bad as anyone ever has. If you want it quiet would it be too much to ask for you to ask your squad mates BEFORE stepping up to please keep it down while you do your thing? If you really can't concentrate it might be a good thing to ask at the walk through on the first stage of the match, set the tone and I am sure the shooters will accommodate you. I might not talk to you after that in fear of breaking your concentration but I will respect your wishes.

What I am suggesting is personal responsibility, if you want it quiet ask for it instead of giving me the evil eye for shooting the bull with someone like minded during the match.

I agree with Howard on this. I can't think of any match I have been too were there was not some chatter or BS going on. It may be because we all get all get along. I noticed at a large match this past weekend that there was plenty of chatter even from the Super Squad guys while there fellow shooters were up, mind you they were behind the stage lines but still easy enough to hear.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a new-ish competitor, it doesn't bother me if people are talking so long as is isn't to me or the RO, etc.

I figure if they are chatting they aren't as focused on me and my backward mags :-)

...and besides the only thing I hear is the whump whump whump of my heartbeat after LAMR anyway

ymmv

I don't mind if there is a little chatter going on when I am on the line. The thing that bugs me is when one voice stands out.

On some stages the peanut gallery is just too close to the shooter.

As an RO if the noise is too much and it is obviously bothering the shooter I will ask the crowd to tone it down. Otherwise I am in the "this isn't golf crowd."

The one exception I do have is when someone talks to the shooter on the line. That is rude and should be avoided by all at all levels of competition. Even when someone is on deck or in the hole and they are obviously getting their mojo on they should be left alone.

-ld

The only time this ever bothers me is when I'm the RO. If my commands have to compete with the peanut gallery, the gallery is too loud. If my score calling has to compete with the gallery, the gallery is too loud. Everything else is perfectly fine.

When I'm shooting, I rarely hear anything but the commands and the beep. Nothing else exists. There is no spoon.

All the racket behind the RO finally made me abandond the e-ear muffs. Especially after LAMR...if I was getting into a starting postion (like in a chair etc) it was very distracting to hear all the patter. I was always concerned that I wouldn't hear the RO if he gave me a command.

Sure... it's "practical" shooting but hearing other shooters commenting about a reload or a poorly made shot... or whatever..... during the stage is IMO poor sportsmanship.

Last year I started pluging my years with molded plugs and when I shoot I top those off with plain old ear muffs. It has helped my concentration and my scores but now it worries me a bit that I sometimes have problems hearing any of the ROs commands.... so I tell them before LAMR that I'm double plugged and can't hear much.

BTW--- If you go to a large match and watch the "super squad" shooters. There is always a lot of wise cracking etc. But never when a shooter is on the line.

Edited by MichiganShootist

No brainer to me. When "ROing" I make a simple hand motion behind me for quite before the "shooters ready" command.

Everyone seems to comply and shooters like it. Just makes sense. Once the first shots fired we can start lying and laughing

again.

Jim M

I think there is a rule that covers the "above and beyond" rudeness of yanking the shooter's chain after LAMR. It's the bad sportsmanship one - it applies to foul language too, G#**^%* D&%#) IT!

It should be a common courtesy, but that is really lacking in our society today. Personally it I think it shows respect for your fellow competitor. Of course like courtesy , respect of others is also lacking in todays world. It's quite common to hear "I don't care what think, I will do what I want". Kind of like driving slow in the fast lane and having people pass on the right , because of this same mindset.

I also agree with CarinaB on the foul language, not so much if your group is okay with it, but when there are women and children in the squad . I know I do not like for my wife and kids to be exposed to it. But I also recognize that it can and will happen. I believe I even read something addressing this in the USPSA Bluebook.

I guess I am just old school :rolleyes:

Just my .02

No brainer to me. When "ROing" I make a simple hand motion behind me for quite before the "shooters ready" command.

Everyone seems to comply and shooters like it. Just makes sense. Once the first shots fired we can start lying and laughing

again.

Jim M

At the last local club match I found myself really wishing the peanut gallery would pipe down.... on every stage. Turned my earmuffs off but I could still hear them. I think I will borrow this hand-motion idea next time I am ROing, maybe it will catch on.

I think there is a rule that covers the "above and beyond" rudeness of yanking the shooter's chain after LAMR. It's the bad sportsmanship one - it applies to foul language too, G#**^%* D&%#) IT!

There is that...as a DQ. I've never seen anything that would warrant a DQ. There is also a procedural that can be applied (for helping or hindering a shooter during the cof...which starts at "Make Ready").

Sure... it's "practical" shooting but hearing other shooters commenting about a reload or a poorly made shot... or whatever..... during the stage is IMO poor sportsmanship.

IMHO that falls into the same category as speaking to the shooter on the line or on deck. Very uncool and as you noted it is poor sportsmanship.

-ld

I was trying to find an old thread on this topic (didn't find it, got side-tracked). I recall posting that it would be easy enough to tape a piece of paper to the bottom of the clip board that said "Quiet Please". The clip board could be held up when needed.

I never did put a note on any of the clip boards. One thing I have done when it is loud (and I am RO'ing) is to give the "Make Ready" command in a voice that is just plain loader than anybody else's. And, perhaps...aim the voice a little so that the message gets out.

Shooters are good people. Usually a little reminder is all that is ever needed.

Posted for info...

8.6.2 Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor during a course of fire (and the competitor receiving such assistance) may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural penalty for that stage and/or be subject to Section 10.6.

I voted yes. Total quiet isn't necessary. All conversations don't have to stop, but there's always the guy with the loud voice that can be heard two bays over... He need's to learn to be quiet, especially if the conversation is about the stage or the shooter on line... or politics. <_<

Just like football, if the crowd is so loud you can't hear quarterback the RO delays the start until fans quiet down. It just delays everybody. So it is kinda self correcting. Or the shooter can say not ready I can't hear the range commands.

Don't need no stinking Rules!!!!!

I'm against any rule but STFU should be common courtesy. I expect people to carry on conversations at the range but here's a few things I don't care for:

-Sometimes people feel it necessary to raise their voice so they can be heard over the sound of other people talking AND gunfire (!) so that people who have hearing protection on can hear them (Hello! It's called hearing protection! It's designed to drown out GUNFIRE, not exactly a conversational enhancer!). This can be distracting to some.

-Some people get very involved in their discussion, causing them to tune out what's going on in the pit where there's a guy running around with a firearm. Safety is everyone's reponsibility, especially your own. If a guy slips and breaks the 180 in my direction, I'd like to be aware of it so I can take evasive action. Lots of things can go wrong, pay attention, the RO may miss something.

-Lastly, the thing I've most consistently noticed is that the b.s.-er's are far more inclined to carry on their conversation than assist with picking brass, setting steel, and pasting targets. This stuff doesn't happen by itself, and there's plenty of time to b.s. over a beer when the match is over.

STFU, pay attention, and help the match run smoothly!

If you don't know the shooter well, quite is appreciated, but the guys I shoot with...you better have thicker skin than a little talking.... ;)

Ahhh... Space City..... :roflol:

You DO remember.... :D

I don't care unless it's really bad... but feel that you should be respectful of the guy/lady at the line. They might not be able to tune out as well as some. With an indoor range, sometimes the gallery are right behind the shooter. If you got three of four people getting loud then it can interfere with the ROs commands. I've turned to the gallery, as an RO, and gave them a WTF luck and waited for them to quiet before starting a shooter.

Edited by JThompson

-Lastly, the thing I've most consistently noticed is that the b.s.-er's are far more inclined to carry on their conversation than assist with picking brass, setting steel, and pasting targets.

Truer words were never spoken.

-Lastly, the thing I've most consistently noticed is that the b.s.-er's are far more inclined to carry on their conversation than assist with picking brass, setting steel, and pasting targets.

Truer words were never spoken.

:cheers:

I voted yes.

I normally don't have a problem with shooters being loud at a monthly match. In Action Pistol we have several shooters on the line at once so the guns don't bother me. It's that loud monotone voice that rips right through my spine. I was shooting a regional in MS this past weekend and had one of those. The hell of it was I had to yell at them to get their attention. Then there's the guy who is pretty much deaf that won't wear hearing aids. He talks loud to hear himself talk. Luckily he only shows up for the monthly match so I can usually tune him out.