Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once Fired Brass KABOOM

zhunter

I had my first ever reloading KaBOOM tonight!!!!

Loading .45 on my 1050, the downstroke was a bit stiff, but I finished the stroke and BAANNGGG

An "NT" piece of brass was mixed in with some once fired brass I had purchased.

In case you did not know, the primer pocket on "NT" brass is smaller and when the primer would not fit into the pocket, it ignited!!!

My ears are still ringing!! :angry2:

The exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago. 10mm NT brass uses a small primer while all "normal" 10mm has large primers. Went off at 1:30am while I was doing some last minute loading for a match the next day ... it is a quick way to wake up several sleeping people and get them all into the same room in under 5 seconds! Everyone assumed that I had shot a burglar.

Edited by L9X25

Amen, that stupid ass NT brass sucks.

I wear glasses and hearing protection after cooking off a couple of primers on my 650.

A few years back when all I had was a SDB, I cooked off a whole stack of primers and had to dig the plastic rod that pushes the primers down in the primer magazine out of the cieling.... :rolleyes:

I had my first ever reloading KaBOOM tonight!!!!

Loading .45 on my 1050, the downstroke was a bit stiff, but I finished the stroke and BAANNGGG

An "NT" piece of brass was mixed in with some once fired brass I had purchased.

In case you did not know, the primer pocket on "NT" brass is smaller and when the primer would not fit into the pocket, it ignited!!!

My ears are still ringing!! :angry2:

Same thing happened to me on my 650 with NT brass...

hmm thats why they say to wear eye and ear protection while loading. I dont but i should. maybe your experience will change my mind.

It's only a matter of time. A cheap pair of saftey glasses can stay right there on the reloading bench 24/7/365

Spook, in reference to your question about the swager rod......It might, but most people I know that load .45 take it off. It will feel a little bit different when you pull the handle, but unless you notice it, it will go right through and "BANG". When I get a new batch of brass in I inspect it for NT, crimped FC, etc. It does suck, and it scares the crap out of you when the primer goes off. The easiest way to find them is to take the time and inspect the new cases to find them if they are in there. All mine go into the scrap brass pile.......

Hang in there Z!

DougC

OK, I continued this morning, and....

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

What a mess, about one in every twenty is "NT" and then throw in some 9mm stuck inside the .45's and this brass is a load of CRAP!!!!

I am not even going to call the guy I bought it from, I will NO LONGER DO BUSINESS with this vendor.

I mean, maybe 1 in a batch of 2000, but this is a joke!!!

OH yeah, I am wearing safety glasses

Shouldn't the swager have taken care of the primer pocket?

Right, I thought that a 1050 had a military brass swager built in ????

"NT" brass has small primer pockets instead of the typical large in .45ACP. Some guy on the 1911 forum was buying them so he wouldn't have to change primer sizes as often.

OK, I sorted the entire box of 2000 pieces of brass.

Final count, 103 pieces of "NT" mixed in with about 15 pieces of 9mm in what was supposed to me 2000 pieces of .45 ACP :angry2:

I e-mailed the guy I bought it from. NO word back yet.