Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For Single Stack: .40S&W or .45ACP?

dagz

You have to try them both, see what you shoot better.

If you don't have either buy the 45.. they always seem to run, while 40s can be finicky.

You can always buy the 40 later.

I have both, the 45 seems to cycle in slow motion, while the 40 is harsher.

If I got free ammo and didn't reload (I reload for both now), I'd shoot the 45 100% of the time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first got my Trojan .40, I thought it was the worse decision I ever made :angry2: But when Virgil Tripp use his magic touch (only paid $100) it's the best gun I ever owned :cheers:

I heard that if you buy from Dawson or Brazos and pay a "little" extra $$ for tuning, it will run!!

Good luck

Paging ZHunter ...........

Let's see:

Gives you a reason to buy another press, if you only have one :devil:

Tends to be more reliable as many have said.

We are talking Single Stack, so it must be a .45 :devil:

Tends to be more reliable as many have said.

Dude, what took you so long???? :P

It may be easier to get a .45 to be reliable, but I've seen LOTS of them that aren't....both stock and custom. If there was such a big difference I wouldn't expect to see so many .45s puke at matches. With either one you stand a chance of needing work to get it to run, but if both are done properly they're going to be equally reliable.

Edit to add: I really hope someone is capturing equipment data at the SS Nat's so we'll see what the top folks are using. I think many will be surprised at the results.

Edited by G-ManBart

I'm expecting my new Single Stack today. It's an older Springfield 90 Series that I've had sent to the Springfield Custom Shop to mach a 9MM I was lucky enough to win two Single Stacks ago. :cheers: It's in .40 as a Kimber I have. My reasons include cost, ammo to match my Limited, a barrel in this Springfield that shoots harder than my Kimbers in .40 and less torgue on firing which I notice. I'll post pictures later.

Dude, what took you so long???? :P

I was in The Keys fishing for the past 4 days, sorry for the delay ;)

ETA: I think it will be about a 60-40 mix of .45 to .40 at Nats, mainly due to lot of guys using .40 because they use one press and it is just easier to load on load for several Divisions. Can't blame them. But it will not stop me from referring to them as shooting a minor caliber either :devil:

Edited by zhunter

somebody said they like the feel of a 40 single stack better than a .45. I must be backwards. I like the feel of a 200 swc .45 much more than the 40 180 grain load. My .45 load is as cheap as my 40 load but I use lead in my .45 as it doesn't smoke as bad as the 40 did when I tried it. If I could find a springfield in .40 I would probably buy it and use but as it is all I have right now are .45s so that is what I use.

I own both. I like the feel of the .40 as it is the same load as my Limited gun. That being said, the 45 is more reliable out of the box than a .40 SS. My Trojan .40 needed work to get it to run well. It still has mag issues, even with Tripp or McCormik mags. My wilson or tripp mags for my 45's always lock open when they are supposed to and not with a round left in it, or not locking back at all.

My.02$

I had the choice of going .40 but a discovered some $75 frames and Fosters slides aren't too expensive. I decided I NEEDED a .45 single stack, I can always build a .40 top end later.

.45 mags are cheaper and easier to come by. Now that I reload .45 I see why so many are completely enamored by it.

I've got an SS in 45 that my son uses for L-10 and that I have used for both SS and L-10, but if I do decide to shoot SS on any kind of a regular basis I'll build me one in .38 Super. Since we shoot Everything-10 here on Maui for legality reasons, I wouldn't have to change my stage doping strategies and I could use steel loads (130 gr bullets at 1000 fps) and my SS Open gun mags.

I've got an SS in 45 that my son uses for L-10 and that I have used for both SS and L-10, but if I do decide to shoot SS on any kind of a regular basis I'll build me one in .38 Super. Since we shoot Everything-10 here on Maui for legality reasons, I wouldn't have to change my stage doping strategies and I could use steel loads (130 gr bullets at 1000 fps) and my SS Open gun mags.

If you ever build that SS 38 super you will love it. I have a 5", 6", and then I was lucky and got a performance center revolver that shoots the same bullet and load as my 5". I'm in 38 super heaven.

Best of all completely reliable and no tendonitis no matter how much I shoot.

Signed,

True Believe.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the SS National has been shot, can anyone share some inputs on the gun specs of the winning GM's? I'm pretty sure some of you has inside info.

Sort of an inspiration for the starting shooters like me.

Thanks.

It is really hard to say what they were shooting, I can tell what I know though.

Robbie- SA of course

koenig- S&W

Jarrett- Para

The other guys like strater, sevigny, butler...... I do not know, I think taran ran an Infinity though.

The may list that in front site when they run it.