Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For Single Stack: .40S&W or .45ACP?

dagz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$$$ is the reason I went to .40. But then again I have eight .45's, a 9mm and a .38 Super (all single stacks). If I had to pick just one caliber for USPSA/Single Stack and had no other shooting expenses/vices (open, production, limited, 3 gun)......I would go with the .45 ACP. But because I have this sickness I try to cut expenses where I can. Besides its a good excuse to buy another toy. Then after awhile my wife has NO clue what I have in the safe!!

What is your preference and why?

If .40 had been better, JMB would have invented it instead. :D

Okay, seriously.

Bigger holes -- not a significant issue. If 5/100ths is key to winning/losing, I've got other problems to work on (which I do, but that's not germane here).

Reliability -- the difference is negligible. There's more difference in reliability based on how you maintain your gun than just between calibers.

Numbers -- if you want to shoot minor in SS, you can load 10 in the mag, major you're limited to 8 anyway.

Attitude, mostly. I've been loading .45 for quite a while, don't own a .40.

.40 is more likely to be beneficial if you want to branch into other divisions or other action sports, like IDPA, because of the 10-round mags.

If you're starting fresh, go with what you want. If you have .40 in something else, go for it.

Edited by Punkin Chunker

.40!!!

So I don't have to change the primer feed on the 1050!

These days the cost of those neat 230s is a bit more than 180s.

Steve,

My .40 runs as good or better than my .45s.

When is Les going to make me a .40 SS?

.45, 5.5 grains of Titegroup under a 185 grain plate HBRN makes a consistent 170 power factor. I stopped looking at the cost of my ammo, it takes the fun out of shooting. What are mag options for .40 S&W single stacks like?

Hello: I was shooting a 40 single stack using 45 magazines. They work great. I am now shooting a 45 and love it. My load is 200 gr Precision, 4.5gr Clays, 1.220 OAL and Winchester primers. It makes major with no problem 175PF at 80 degrees. If you are shooting 40 now I would shoot 40 single stack. No press change over and use the 185 Precision bullet. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

.45, 5.5 grains of Titegroup under a 185 grain plate HBRN makes a consistent 170 power factor. I stopped looking at the cost of my ammo, it takes the fun out of shooting. What are mag options for .40 S&W single stacks like?

I've got CmC 9 rounders that are great as well as Metalform and a couple Cobra. They all work

Is that the Berry HBRN that looks like a 230 from the outside?

I heard they are good.

My .40 is costing $0.13 each but I stopped thinking about it too.

HEY! We saw Benny this weekend but imagine there was no Merlin to be found..

We think they are one in the same!

Edited by Mick

I bought another 45 for Single Stack because I already reloaded for 45. Before I bought another 45 I did the math to see how much a .40 would save and it wasn't much. Add in new dies, toolhead, and magazines and it'll take a while to pay off the switch. Starting from scratch, I think I'd opt for a .40single stack. Shoot ESP in IDPA, Single Stack major, and limited down the road.

Math @ brass reused 6x.

$35/k .40sw | $55/k .45acp

.40sw

4.5 Titegroup

170RNF Moly $112.80/K

180JHP Zero $146.00/K

.45acp

4.1 Clays

200SWC Moly $127.30/K

185JHP Zero $149.70/K

I started L10 with a .45 SS.

My limited is .40. Thought about .45 in Limited but was convinced that .40 was so much better. It is better.

I have one SS in .40 and having another built.

Cheaper all the way. I get my brass from the LEO range. I can go major or minor with very little adjustment on my 1050. -- The real reason is that an extra tool head would be a pain and having to maintain two different sets of reloading stuff was a pain and I am lazy.

The .40 is very very reliable. But is was built by a named smith.

JMB did not invent the .40 because of all kinds of technical reasons and the .45 was THE round to use against the Calvary. Had the right powders, etc been around back then, the history might be different.

I am a fan of the 1911 but even JMB admitted the BHP corrected all the problems of the 1911.

If you get a 40 that runs it is pretty much a wash, but in factory guns I think the odds are vastly higher that a 45 will run better than a 40. Factory 40 single stacks are terrible in general from what I see. If you are going to buy a gun off the shelf I would suggest a 45, if you go custom or plan to have your factory gun worked a 40 will be fine.

I've shot the last two SS Classics/Nats with a 45, and I must say that my new 40 is much more pleasant to shoot.

HOWEVER, if you're new to USPSA, and don't reload yet, I would probably recommend a 45 simply because they are more reliable with factory ammunition. My 40, as cool as it is REALLY doesn't like standard length 40...only the long stuff will make mine happy.

$.02,

Phil

This can go many ways, for single stack division I would have to agree with the .40 three divisions one caliber easier for reloading. But like HSMITH said tough to get one out of the box that runs right and hard too find.