Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Press Table

riden

I built my bench roughly 40 inches high because that's what felt right to me. I have a 550 and with it mounted to the bench without a Strong Mount I can sit or stand. I was at the local auto parts place and they were selling barstools that looked to be the perfect height so I bought one. Works perfectly.

JOe

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-17390-1232031742_thumb.jpg

Riden,

I am new to the forum and started reloading in 08.

I just posted this to the Dillon forum and thought this would be helpful.

Here is my reloading bench (sorry for the poor quality picture). I used a shelving unit (combined 2 of them) from Loews (it was made to be a shelving unit or a work bench approx 48 inches wide (Edsal Maxi Rack Steel Shelving Unit). I also used two 3/4 inch boards and the original 1/4 inch shelf that came with the unit to make the one side where I mounted the RL550B a total of 1.75 inches thick.

I also used a Coleman TD2 5 Drawer Base Cabinet on the right side middle of the bench for drawer storage. It fit perfectly. Bought 2 peg boards for the back of the bench to hang tools and had an old stereo rack on the left side just to make my scale eye level (the scale is covered in the picture). I have a power strip mounted on the far right side and a shop light over head, also mounted a grill light on the strong mount so I can see the powder in the bullet seating station (to make sure my powder charge is ok). I also have a big cabinet to the right of the bench where I keep all of my components etc...

I hope this helps give you some ideas. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What height does everybody have there their bench surface?

...with/without a strong mount?

...standing or seated reloading?

Bench surface is at 39" (perfect workbench height for me)

No strong mount

I'm 6'. For standing reloading it's lower than I'd like (it's a workbench that I put a press on). If the press was Dillon, adding a strong mount would likely solve this. I may build another (higher) bench just for the press. Or, I may make a stool of the appropriate height and reload while sitting. Usually prefer to be standing.

Edited by ac4wordplay

post-17390-1232031742_thumb.jpg

Riden,

I am new to the forum and started reloading in 08.

I just posted this to the Dillon forum and thought this would be helpful.

Here is my reloading bench (sorry for the poor quality picture). I used a shelving unit (combined 2 of them) from Loews (it was made to be a shelving unit or a work bench approx 48 inches wide (Edsal Maxi Rack Steel Shelving Unit). I also used two 3/4 inch boards and the original 1/4 inch shelf that came with the unit to make the one side where I mounted the RL550B a total of 1.75 inches thick.

I also used a Coleman TD2 5 Drawer Base Cabinet on the right side middle of the bench for drawer storage. It fit perfectly. Bought 2 peg boards for the back of the bench to hang tools and had an old stereo rack on the left side just to make my scale eye level (the scale is covered in the picture). I have a power strip mounted on the far right side and a shop light over head, also mounted a grill light on the strong mount so I can see the powder in the bullet seating station (to make sure my powder charge is ok). I also have a big cabinet to the right of the bench where I keep all of my components etc...

I hope this helps give you some ideas. Good luck.

That's a great looking setup.

PS - what was your address again? :rolleyes:

Since I tend to load several thousand at a time, I sit while loading. My benches have been built so the handle of the 1050 will come to rest just above my knee. That puts the top of the bench at 28 inches using a standard rolling office chair.

I strap the concrete wall with a 2x6 and tapcon it into place. The bench is made of a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood, good on one side which has been ripped down the center. The bottom layer is screwed at the back edge to the wall strap and held up at the front edge with 4x4 pressure treated posts. Behind the posts, a 2x6 is screwed to the posts and to the bottom sheet. The top surface of the bottom sheet is the rough side. To it I apply a tube of PL Premium adhesive and then I slide the top sheet on, rough side down. The top sheet is screwed at the back edge through to the wall strap, and along the edges and across the 2x6 center support.

Only small problem with this type of construction is that I need to pound the backing washers for the press bolts under the 2x6 for the back two holes.

• 1 year later...

What height does everybody have their bench surface?

...with/without a strong mount?

...standing or seated reloading?

My newly finished re-loading bench is 42" Tall and I just like this

height for working on projects. I have two other Workbenches for

Gunsmithing work and built them 4 years ago. All are @ 42" tall

and works well for me. I am 6'1" with a medium build.

I have one re-loading instrument, Dillon 550B that I received about a month

ago from Brian and just set it up last week to the new bench.

I did not use a strong mount, just attached it to the Butcher Block (1 3/4")

top. I will stand, but I could also sit down by using one of my

adjustable height stools.

Stephen

NC

Getting close to final decision on which Dillon press to buy to begin reloading. I know a rock-solid bench is essential, but don't have a lot of spare time to build something from scratch.

Of all the usual Lowe's or Home Depot packages, can anyone steer me toward something that will be suitable that you have used?

Suggestions appreciated!

Got mine a sears.

Is a craftsman 8ft table super solid metal base, adjustable legs, I think it was under 300.

It's a great table :)

• 2 years later...

Some folks are still inquiring as to the bench height... Here's a quote of what I posted.... WOW! 8 years ago. I am supplementing it below:

For loading standing up, with a 550B on a strong mount, my bench is right at 43" to the table plane... This lines the roller handle up with my shoulder almost exactly (I'm 5'-10" tall). I can tailor the height using the leveling adjusters on the legs.

1) Sometimes I want to reload or otherwise work at the bench while standing. Sometimes I want to sit.... So...

2) I set the bench height such that the roller handles on the presses (ALL with strong mounts) are right at 43" to the table plane, because for my height (5'-10" or so), this puts the roller handle at about the same height as my shoulder joint... which for me seems to minimize fatgue. Aditionally, this places the bench top at a comfortable height for me to work on stuff on the bench while standing without causing back pain.

3) I augmented the NORMA bench design to include adjustable leg "spikes", like we used to put on home theater speakers/sub-woofers. It's really a 3/8 or 1/2" hex bolt screwd into a threaded insert which is installed into the leg (with a counter-bore for the bolt shaft). I add a hex nut on the bolt to act as a stop nut. This allows me to use the adjusters to level the bench top to the floor (if necessary), and allows fine tuning of the height.

4) Now, add the adjustable height shop stool of your choice and you can set it to load while seated and STILL keep the roller handle in the same relative position to your shoulder joint.

Hope this clear things up...

Here's an image.... Click to see the full size... It's big.

LR3.jpg

This may be the Sam's Club one referred to previously:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?sprodId=prod1490086

I like the looks of it and it is only 24" deep, that is about all you need for a loading bench.

Unless you want to put cabinets on top of it... My NORMA plans bench is 34" deep, but has a set of 12" deep cabinets on top, thus reducing the bench to 22" deep. Sometimes I wish it was AT LEAST 24" deep.... preferably more.

EDIT: I re-read my response and saw that I might be coming off like a spoiler... That bench looks fine to me. Looks pretty solid with a nice top. :)

Edited by cautery

Home depot has a bench for 70 bucks that is all wood minus the top which seems to be particle board.. maybe add a 3/4 thick layer of birchwood and call it a day wherever you mount it.. and mount it to the ground or wall studs.

I got the Dillon 650 with strong mount. I went to Home Depot and got the bench plans from Simpson Strong Tie. The bench was easy to make and its very sturdy. I plan on bolting it to the floor, but I haven't had to yet. The bench is sturdy and doesn't move.

I built my reloading bench from a kit by a company called 2 X 4 Basics that I found on Amazon.com. cool.gif

-Chet

My first reloading bench was using their kits, I still have two in the garage that are 3' x 8' and ROCK solid. My next bench (when I moved to the basement because Iowa's cold and hot and never pleasant in the garage) I did with a 2x4 frame, MDF surface and leveling feet from a wood crafting store. It's rock solid as well once bolted to the wall.

I love the Sam's workbench.

Ever since that guy posted that link, this bench has been in my mind... It won't work for my reloading bench needs, but at 24", it would be almost perfect to replace the crap work bench I have in the garage.... Hmmmm....

• 3 weeks later...