Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Glock 35 went kaboom.

badchad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had it happen to me, but Glocks can be fired out of battery. To check make sure gun is empty. no magazine, pull slide back a notch a pull the trigger. If a round does not seat properly this can happen.

Glad to hear that no one was injured.

Art

If a round does not seat properly this can happen.

I never have chamber checked my Glock ammo. I always figured (stupidly) that if the round went through an undersized seating die and FCD that it must be OK. Last match, I shot the classifier Can You Count. After the last string I went to unload and show clear and the slide was jammed. Not sure if it was fully in battery. It took a whack on the frame to pull the round and the case had some bulge that the sizer had kind of shaved down. I missed it in my visual inspection as I loaded magazines. Wonder what would have happened if Can You Count was 6 shots instead of 5? :unsure: I'll be chamber checking from now on.

Here's what 9.4 grains of Titegroup did to my G22 a couple years back in practice. No one injured, but it felt like a sledge hammer hit my hand.

The frame was fine and I still use it.

Always wear eye protection!! I'd only have one eye if I didn't.

glockkaboomhr4.jpg

Anyone want to buy a slightly used G22 slide :devil:

Edited by chp5

• 1 year later...

Had this happen to a shooter I was running at today's match.... A young first time shooter (and neophyte reloader). Hand was badly bruised and was blue and purple in 2 or 3 minutes with a blood blister from the first finger all the way around the web to his thumb. He went and got x rays which proved to be negative on any breaks but his hand is double sized right now.

Slide appeared to be OK but the top half of the barrel is gone from the mouth of the chamber forward about 3/4 inch into the rifling. Fire controls are frozen and the mag release is missing on both sides.

Unknown quantity of TG behind a MG 165....

I also use Titegroup with my loads in my 35. I changed the barrel a few months back and I definitely notice a difference. I always felt like the factory barrel had inconsistant pressures. I also didn't like the way the brass came out with a bulge. I shoot my 35 alot more now but I visually check every case as I load on my 550b. Good luck on your next one.

Twenty two months after the first post and we are back to hear about 40's blown up with TiteGroup. People who don't pay attention to history are bound to repeat it. The fast powder - heavy bullet theorem bas based on the 45 ACP which is normally a low pressure cartridge. Might as strap a JATO to a Ugo, it'll go fast but I wouldn't want to drive it.

The 40 S&W in a Glock is safe within reason, are you really sure that Glock does not warranty their guns with reloads only for liability reasons. The Glock small frame was and still is solely designed around the 9MM, they changed locking blocks after they started cracking and the addition of a 3rd pin, I can find nothing other than making frame rails smaller that Glock has changed between the 9MM & 40 S&W. Duane where is your research when I need you?

Load the 40 S&W with a 165-180gr bullet using a medium speed powder using cases with 6-8 reloads on them and proper reloading procedures and it is a safe cartridge. The area that I see as most problematic is over use of the case/poor quality case. If the bullet goes in the case too easily (it should need some effort) then it is a candidate for set back. Crimp was originally conceived to keep bullets in the cyclinders of revolvers and later in heavy recoiling lever actions for the same set back reasons. Hence the addition of the crimp groove and later the cannilore (SP) for rifle cartridges.

Glock doesn't really care how you wreck a gun, they will cut you a deal on a new one, last time I called was about $275, probably higher now. Recently had a couple of bumps with my G17 running 115 grain bullets in front of 4.0 grains of TiteGroup, several of the rounds were at least .125" to deep in the case and one was almost all the way in. Pitched out as many as I saw, but a couple got thru and you could definitely feel it.

Man o Man.. Glad you are OK. :surprise: .... Seems your hands and fingers are still good.. you are still here typing your post......

I don't know about you guys..... This post is giving me the chills right now... I just came back from the indoor range sighting in the G35 for a evening match tomorrow night.

I'm using:

Factory Barrel

180gr FN Bear Creek

5.0 gr 231

I've been using it all season and is a very accurate load, I'm going to load tonight I'll double check my 550 to ensure no set back, etc. Lastly, clean out the bore..

Any other suggestions welcomed...

Just chin up brother, get another G35....

It sounds like a double or a shot after a squib. Did it look like this? Those pics are the result of a double.

Very much like the pictures except the slide stayed on the frame.... The young man who had the kaboom came by Triangle today and we beat the slide off the gun and it look like the frame "may" be salvagable. Slide had about 4 thous swell at the cut out and now moves freely on the frame. The guy wants to keep it and try to rebuild the gun himself.... :unsure:

It sounds like a double or a shot after a squib. Did it look like this? Those pics are the result of a double.

Very much like the pictures except the slide stayed on the frame.... The young man who had the kaboom came by Triangle today and we beat the slide off the gun and it look like the frame "may" be salvagable. Slide had about 4 thous swell at the cut out and now moves freely on the frame. The guy wants to keep it and try to rebuild the gun himself.... :unsure:

Ah yeah....and we wonder why he had a KB in the first place? Sheesh, that's getting into irresponsible territory. R,

I have run into a guy at a match who has KBed his G23 THREE times by running cheap, soft lead bullets. And he keeps doing it, "Because the bullets are so inexpensive." I asked him, "Have you ever considered NOT using ammo that you know will eventually blow up your gun?" His attitude, "Nah. It doesn't hurt me, and I can always get a new slide and barrel from Glock." I kid you not.

Wow. :surprise:

I read this post with interest because my girl friend shoots a glock 35 and I shoot a M&P 40 so I load 180 grain copper wash of hard cast bullets with 5.2 of 231 to make major with both guns. My process for loading to prevent set back and make loads that are reliable is I first run all of my brass through a u die in single stage press, then load it on my 1050 with a lee factory crimp die after my seating die with the crimp er backed all of the way out so there is no crimp at this stage and then use dillion crimp die in last station I get no set back and my brass has no signs of pressure in either gun.

I have also seen glock 40 KB and they where using tight group powder. I think that this is to fast of a powder for the 40. Also I like to shoot lead in my 40 part of the time and have found 231 both accurate and low in smoke with lead

I have run into a guy at a match who has KBed his G23 THREE times by running cheap, soft lead bullets. And he keeps doing it

Duane, next time "run into" him hard enough to knock some sense into him! I'd refuse to RO a guy like that.

I think we are definatly back to the days of making major with clays and that being a scary thing in a .40....and as Duane said, some people out there are using 'fingernail mark' soft lead, and you just cant dothat in a factory Glock barrel and get away with it for any length of time, you will get bore constriction and you will get dramatically increased pressures ie...KB.....

and people with a history of trashing guns shouldnt be allowed to compete....they are a danger tothemselves and to others around them....

knew a guy who proudly told me he was loading 12 grs of reddot??? in his 10mm case even tho the book said 10 grs max, when asked why on earth he would load over max??? was simply told this....'the case looked like it could hold it'.....yeah, try and educate....if thatdoesnt work....stay far far away.....