Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grips are better?

LoneRider

let me put in a HUGE vote for rubber finger groove grips. i use Hogue but others would work if you prefer something else.

they give a superb grip - what could be better than soft rubber - no sharp checkering or hard grit to irritate you. i was reluctant to try them at first. i thought the finger groove would slow down getting a good grip on the gun, but that was not the case. in theory and perhaps in practice the finger grooves could help align your fingers for a consistant grip time after time.

i find the Hogues to be supremely comfortable and the finger grooves provide the ultimate in muzzle climb control. i've put them on everything i own, 1911s (single stack and Para), CZs, Hi Powers and love them.

i compared them with regular grips on a couple of 1911 38 supers with very potent ammo. one gun had regular checkered grips and was all steel. the other gun had the Hogue and had an aluminum frame. all else being equal i would have expected the aluminum frame gun to have more muzzle climb because of the lighter weight. not so. with the Hogue grips it has substantially less muzzle climb. the steel gun, with the bare front strap and checkered grips would slip a little during recoil. i had much less control with it.

all hail Hogue rubber finger groove grips!!!

sorry, i got a little carried away. another point is that they tend to be very inexpensive compared to others. a real plus.

I just bought a set of Jerry Burnhardt's "Burner Grips" - basically, they are wood grips that get epoxied and coated with abrasive media. They are awesome, but they look a little sloppy - I am currently trying to find a set of smooth flat bottom grips that fit properly (i.e. not Houge's) so that I can cover them with skate tape. But, I like big fat grips.

If you like slim or semi slim grips - Ergo XT's are great, and only $20.

Cover the front strap with some skate tape and call it good.

I can't stand the rubber finger groove grips of any kind. They get slick if they're wet or your hands are sweaty and sometimes your fingers don't find the grooves quite right.

I'm really happy with the Alumagrips that match up the Techwell magwells...perfect checkering cut into them that is very grippy but won't tear up your hands. Bob told me that he spent an entire day at the Alumagrip factory having them cut different checkering patterns until he got the one that felt just right...it worked!

someone hates the rubber finger groove grips? madness!!

i'm glad folks are mentioning their opinions on these grips (and others), and especially for giving their reasons why. it helps readers understand what might or might not work for them.

i've come to dislike anything with checkering. oddly enough, i find it painful. my friend has a SA 1911 and it's very painful to shoot his pistol with its original wood 16 lpi checkering grips. i can barely finish off a full magazine before i give it back to him. i even find some rubber checkered grips painful. strange? yup.

i'm not a wimp. i'm just in touch with my sensitive side.

I like traditional checkered wood. Use the ones you like the best. You'll never know until you've spent some money and tried different types.

Man that is sooo true! So much of the gun and grip is subjective. You kind of have to go on a journey experimenting and modifying or discarding things until you hit on the thing(s) that seems to make sense for you. Then do like Brian Enos says and keep experimenting and trying new things to see if you can improve further still.

For me it's the Operator grips in micarta from VZGrips.com Just the right combination of aggressive and smooth. It sure is hard to beat a plain set of wood grips that you tune to the right width for your hands and then tape up with some TruGrip tape from Eric. Cheap AND custom! =]

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting lately. Bought pair of Burner Grips too. Like the texture fine but boy these got by the QC guys I guess. Not uniform at all as one much thicker than other and screw holes are almost too big. Eric's grip tape over smooth Aluma-Grips is my current favorite.

I can't stand the rubber finger groove grips of any kind. They get slick if they're wet or your hands are sweaty and sometimes your fingers don't find the grooves quite right.

I'm really happy with the Alumagrips that match up the Techwell magwells...perfect checkering cut into them that is very grippy but won't tear up your hands. Bob told me that he spent an entire day at the Alumagrip factory having them cut different checkering patterns until he got the one that felt just right...it worked!

I agree with both comments....i had the pachmyr grooved rubber grips on my daly and they werent proportioned to my hand very good and just had a weird squishy feel....dunno...

the techwell alumagrips are awesome.....very aggressive checkering for great grip...but not so course that you cant fire several hundred rounds in a day....i think they have a great product and i love the medium magwell combo with the alumagrips

Wood for me on SS guns but have to use factory plastic with skate board tape in spots on 2 Para P14.

Tried finger groove Hogues when I first started (25+ years ago) and like almost everyone else found them unacceptable.

Edited by chirpy

I have two sets of the Simmonich Gunner grips that I bought from Christine just after Rob passed away. One set is ready for a magwell, the other is beveled.

I find these grips to be the "cats meow" and I don't plan on every buying anything else! They are that damn good!

I have tried grip tape, rubber grips, micarta and checkered wood, and found them all to leave something to be desired!