Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide racker on a limited gun

JD40

I was thinking of putting a slide racker on my new limited gun and just wanted to get some info from you guys on why I should not put this feature on the pistol. The main function would be to make the pistol easier to pick up during stages that do not require drawing of the pistol. Please give me your thoughts.

I was thinking of putting a slide racker on my new limited gun and just wanted to get some info from you guys on why I should not put this feature on the pistol. The main function would be to make the pistol easier to pick up during stages that do not require drawing of the pistol. Please give me your thoughts.
Since the rules allow it I say go for it.

Joe,

You know I use one on my glocks. The only drawback I've had has been the fact the racker sticks in my side somedays. You being of a much more svelte type shape, you probably won't have that problem. Besides, you'll probably put it in a different spot on your gun than my glocks.

Only drawback I could possible think of would be in a tight, close to a barricade on the right side, strong hand only shot you could possibly have it hit the props. I've been using one for two years & never had that happen but I guess it could.

Mark

IPSC shooters use slide racker in a very regular basis, along with thumb rests. I have sent a few of my thumb rests over there.

In USPSA they have been legal for a while, but many shooters do not consider them to be "manly", and may lead to the development of a "limp wrist" attitude .

The only item of concern, which has been dismissed already is if some RO may deem them to be a mean to "artificially prop" your gun while on table starts. Therefore I would not go around saying THAT was the only reason you put them in. LMAO :rolleyes:

Other than a table start, I can see no real reason for a slide racker on a Limited gun. Please enlighten me.....

I do see a racker adding reciprocating weight being a bad thing if slide weight is a concern.

Other than a table start, I can see no real reason for a slide racker on a Limited gun. Please enlighten me.....

I do see a racker adding reciprocating weight being a bad thing if slide weight is a concern.

I don't think that it would add any weight because of the slide material cut out for the dove tail would equal things out. As for reasons to have one:

table starts

safety of unloading

and stirring up discussion at major matches.

Reasons not to have one:

hitting it on ports or anything that you dont want it to.

I am still up in the air about this one because I hate to put a dove tail cut in my slide and then not like it. Oh well, this is what uspsa equipment is all about- trial and error. The cost of a new slide and machine work....350 bucks, the price of an RO asking what the hell is that slide racker doing on your limited gun.........pricless. As of now I am in favor of putting the slide racker on limited pistol as long as it is legal.

What would be said if you had a detent so that you could put it (slide racker) on when you needed it? What would you do if you saw a shooter put a slide racker on the gun right before a table stage and then take it off after the stage was over? I would think this might be a legal issue?? Any thougths???

Thanks for your help

Joe

Edited by JD40

In my mind's eye at least, it would seem to make it easier to show clear for us leftys. I always feel clumsy rotating the gun counterclockwise as I reach over my strong hand to pull the slide back and show clear.

I took a class from Eric Graufel. He said that there is no excuse to not use a racker on an open gun. He was very adamant that it was an important piece of equipment. I doubt it would work in IPSC Standard because of the box rule, but in USPSA Limited it should be good to go. Seems like it would speed up unloaded gun starts, table draws and probably not have too much of a negative effect on handling.

I don't like rackers on either open or limited guns. Good rear serrations make these unneccessary and they DO tend to get caught on things like barricades and the sides of ports. Also, KISS, one less set of parts to break in the middle of a stage.

IPSC shooters use slide racker in a very regular basis, along with thumb rests. I have sent a few of my thumb rests over there.

In USPSA they have been legal for a while, but many shooters do not consider them to be "manly", and may lead to the development of a "limp wrist" attitude .

The only item of concern, which has been dismissed already is if some RO may deem them to be a mean to "artificially prop" your gun while on table starts. Therefore I would not go around saying THAT was the only reason you put them in. LMAO :rolleyes:

Slight drift, thumb rests are not legal in Limited. They are connsidered an externl modification to control or reduce recoil, see item 22 unter the Limited Gun appendices in the current rule book, it specifically mentions that Thumb Rests are not legal. I saw a competitor bumped to open a few years ago for having one on a limited gun at a major match.

Has there been a ruling from JA or the NROI on Slide Rackers being legal on anything other than open?

I took a class from Eric Graufel. He said that there is no excuse to not use a racker on an open gun. He was very adamant that it was an important piece of equipment. I doubt it would work in IPSC Standard because of the box rule, but in USPSA Limited it should be good to go. Seems like it would speed up unloaded gun starts, table draws and probably not have too much of a negative effect on handling.

I was going to reply with: "He sells slide rackers, so of course he's for them"

But then I thought of him shooting and realized that rackers are definately better/faster for clearing jams.

So I take back my first post. Rackers do have an advantage, even in Limited.

I was going to reply with: "He sells slide rackers, so of course he's for them"

But then I thought of him shooting and realized that rackers are definately better/faster for clearing jams.

So I take back my first post. Rackers do have an advantage, even in Limited.

i have seen some rackers that do not look like ape handles and only stick out the side of the gun no more than an inch or so. This seems like a good idea.

Mark, is this the kind that you and Kale have?

joe