Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide racker on a limited gun

JD40

I see them on Open guns here, but not yet on a Limited gun...But, if it's legal, why not? When you're in a hurry they are right there for ya. Most use them to avoid the scope (C-mores mostly)...usually mounted on the side away fm your belt. i.e. no pinch. Don't know about table-pick up help but they do seem to make loading and show-clear quick and easy.

I took a class from Eric Graufel. He said that there is no excuse to not use a racker on an open gun. He was very adamant that it was an important piece of equipment. I doubt it would work in IPSC Standard because of the box rule, but in USPSA Limited it should be good to go. Seems like it would speed up unloaded gun starts, table draws and probably not have too much of a negative effect on handling.

I was going to reply with: "He sells slide rackers, so of course he's for them"

But then I thought of him shooting and realized that rackers are definately better/faster for clearing jams.

So I take back my first post. Rackers do have an advantage, even in Limited.

i have seen some rackers that do not look like ape handles and only stick out the side of the gun no more than an inch or so. This seems like a good idea.

Mark, is this the kind that you and Kale have?

joe

Joe,

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAB-Cocking-Handle-for...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the one I have. Remember, I shoot a glock. Kale is now in the STI camp. His racker is custom made, I think. I believe the guys where he works built it for him but I'm not sure about that. He did have one of the ones like mine on his glock but he had trouble with it coming out of the backplate. I believe he somewhat permanently secured it. The one on my backup gun was pretty loose & Richard tapped it for me so it has a retaining screw now. The one I've had longest is really pretty secure. I've never hit it on any props, that I noticed & other than the sticking me in the fat........errr, ribs, it never seems to be in the way. I also never noticed any malfunctions due to increasing the weight. Now, I don't know about the STI type guns but I'm sure as good as you guys are at working on them, a little spring weight change or something would do the trick if you had a problem.

You coming down for our sat or sun match feb 9 or 10?

Mark

I don't think you would have too much advantage...a wide left thumb safety will prop up a gun. Clearing jambs seems like an unlikely reason to have one since Limited guns seem to run better than open guns. Not saying they never jamb....but they rarely should. A table start would be slightly faster, but how come I have never seen one on a top GM's gun?

I don't think you would have too much advantage...a wide left thumb safety will prop up a gun. Clearing jambs seems like an unlikely reason to have one since Limited guns seem to run better than open guns. Not saying they never jamb....but they rarely should. A table start would be slightly faster, but how come I have never seen one on a top GM's gun?

That's a pretty good question! Of course, the racker doesn't really look cool so maybe that is the reason? :rolleyes:

Glocks of course don't have a thumb safety so the few GM glock shooters don't have that advantage of the thumb rest----errr, excuse me, "extended safety"! hahaha. MLM