Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G-17 or G-34

sslav

I've been shooting a G-35 with minor loads and am very happy with the setup. But the cost of ammo is preventing me from getting as much practice in as I feel I need. I do reload, but even with reloading I can cut my expenses by a lot by switching to 9mm. I was planning on getting a LW slide and a barrel for 9mm and shooting lead for practice and jacketed in competition. By a weird coincidence I lucked out and won a certifficate for a Glock pistol. So now I can get either a G-17 or a G-34 and a LW barrel for it. G-34 seems like an obvious choice. Is there any reason to go with a G-17?

Slav

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G17---a little quicker on transitions, possibly a micro-second faster out of a production holster.

G34---longer sighting radius, comes with 3.5 connector, adjustable sights

Neither one is "the better choice". Pick the one that feels right to you and shoot.

You like the sight plane/picture you get w/your G35? Want a Glock that has basically the same feel...something you are used to?...Then you might easily pickup and shoot a G34...Very nice for production...Just make sure you know which one you are packing for a match...

If it's the cost of practice that's the main issue, another option is an AA conversion for your Glock. 22 LR ammo is one fifth the cost of even reloaded centerfire cartridges, and will serve pretty well for drills for the draw (may require some holster adjustment), movement, target to target transitions, and group shooting SH/WH/FS. Recoil dependent drills (splits, rapid transitions) can be done with your match ammo and top end. You get to use your match receiver and trigger group either way.

For me, it's more rounds down range, less wear and tear on the gun (and shooter, with no brass to pick up) and less money (or, depending on how rabid you become, more for the same money).

Their is no big advantage either way. I like the G17. If your ever entertain the idea of an open Glock (like me). The 17 is "the" base gun for it.

Jim M

Jim...why is the G17 a better base for building an "Open" gun?

The G34 won't have the same feel as your G35 anyway (it's lighter). Do what ya want, man! It won't make a spit's worth of difference in performance. If you really want a 9mm with a G35 feel, buy a conversion barrel and use your same trigger, magwell, and sights!

HK Dan

Their is no big advantage either way. I like the G17. If your ever entertain the idea of an open Glock (like me). The 17 is "the" base gun for it.

Jim M

The G34 has a lightened slide (on the inside compared to a G35) and where it's lightened it has a tendency to crack with 9mm Major loads. The G17 does not have this lightening cuts and can take the 9mm Major power loads.

Jim M

Larry,

What SA said. :)

Jim M

Jim M

Larry,

What SA said. :)

Jim M

Id go with a 17 over a 34 for an open gun because after you add a comp to each the 34 is just too long IMO

I really like the G17. Its plenty of gun for USPSA production competition. I ran my 17 for a good while before using my 34. I now have so much confidence in the reliability and shootability of my 34 that I'm sorta stuck on my 34. Either will suit you fine. Since you have a certificate....I'd probably go with the 17 to avoid the $107 upgrade fee.

I really like the G17. Its plenty of gun for USPSA production competition. I ran my 17 for a good while before using my 34. I now have so much confidence in the reliability and shootability of my 34 that I'm sorta stuck on my 34. Either will suit you fine. Since you have a certificate....I'd probably go with the 17 to avoid the $107 upgrade fee.

I was gonna say get the 34 if it's not going to cost you any more. If it takes the coupon +$107, then I revert my usual advice, which is "go with the 17."

The 34s are nice, but you probably have more to gain from buying extra ammo/components with the money you save by going with a 17 instead. The targets we're shooting at are so big and close that the extra little bit of barrel and sight radius do not make much difference.

If you are wanting cheap practice then just get a LWD 9mm conversion barrel. That barrel will weigh more than the G35 barrel. If you are using a steel guide rod in your G35 take it out and use a plastic rod. That will get you closer to the weight of the G35 with .40 barrel. It will be pretty simple to develop a 9mm load that gets you close to the same recoil feel of the .40.

Doing it this way takes out the trigger pull differences in two guns.

Back to what to do with that certificate. One option is to sell it or just get a G17. I do like the G34s. We have 3 of them and 1 G17. I think the G17 has a little less muzzle flip.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the idea of getting a conversion barrel and developing a 9mm load that feels like my minor .40. That way I can practice with 9mm and shoot .40 in matches.

That still leaves the question of what to do with the certifficate. Now I am thinking either another G-35 for a backup or just something for fun.

Slav

Thanks for the advice everyone. I like the idea of getting a conversion barrel and developing a 9mm load that feels like my minor .40. That way I can practice with 9mm and shoot .40 in matches.

That still leaves the question of what to do with the certifficate. Now I am thinking either another G-35 for a backup or just something for fun.

Slav

Slav,

I think it really comes down to preference --- I shoot the 34 and the 19 better than the 17. It makes absolutely no sense, but there it is, consistently. Others I know swear by the 17/22 over the 34/35 because of perceived differences on the draw and transitions. That really hasn't helped, has it?

A back-up 35 would be a terrific idea --- you could set one up with the conversion barrel, 9mm ejector/extractor if needed for practice, and leave the other one as a dedicated .40 match gun. Going to a major? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to reconfigure the practice gun as the back-up....

Heck, you could even toss the parts in your range bag, and make the switch in the safe area. (It hasn't happened much, but I've switched guns at matches twice because my front sight took a powder....)

Which would you rather have? A free G17 or a G34 for a hundred bucks?

A G34 for a hundred bucks, no question. B)

I have both. My G34 is my main competition gun, the G17 is backup.

If I would LOVE another G34 for a hundred bucks.

After 30K plus rounds through my G34, the balance on the G17 just feels wrong :cheers: