Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prescription Shooting Glasses

charles

Does anyone make prescription shooting glasses that have the single wrap around lens? I need a mild prescription but want large lenses to keep the blast from causing me to blink. Any thoughts or websites would be helpful. Thanks Charles

They aren't wrap around but have large lenses.......DeCot Hy-Wyds.

ban3.gif

http://www.sportglasses.com/

Or if you just need a bifocal correction, you may want to try the stick-on static bifocals. They are called OPTIX 20/20 and you can put them on wrap-around glasses. You wet them and they stay on with static until you peel them off. They're reusable so you can reposition them or put them on any glasses you want. I got a pair at the drugstore for $20 a pair..........good for two pair of shooting glasses for me.

http://www.neoptx.com/

I got a pair of Oakley's a few months ago and I am very happy with them. You can go to this site (http://www.oakley.com/dealer_locator/) and check for a dealer near you to check on price. There are several colors and styles to choose from depending on your shooting needs. I looked around and these glasses were the best I could find for eye protection with a prescription. B)

Jim

Several of the Rudy glasses have Rx inserts that allow you to have your prescription mounted behind the shooting lenses so that you can change colors without having to have several different Rx lenses ground. They also have a great warranty, and are really high-quality stuff.

I've had a pair of model RB3 Rudy Project glasses for about a year now and I'm very happy with them. :wub:

I've tried other safety glasses with Rx inserts in the past, but most of them obscured my vision in one way or another when shooting a long gun. No problemo with my RB3s!

I wear them as my regular sunglasses too. B)

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

ESS makes a nice set of shooing glasses at a reasonable price. The lenses are ballistics rated, have three color lenses, and you can get replacements without buying a whole new set. They also have the Rx inserts for them. I've sold a few pair of them, and the users have been happy with them.

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

There's a new sunglass company targeting the shooting sports.

www.SunBuster.info

I hooked up with them just before the Shot Show and love them. It's the best deal in town. Check it out.

Over the past 20 years of shooting I've tried all the brands and never found anything that was just right. These have the prescription inserts that are ordered separatley from the glasses. The glasses themselves come with a case and five different color lenses, cleaning cloth, removable strap, and the frame has adjustable nose piece and bendable ear piece. All for around $100 retail.

Their website is due for an update soon but you can get the details from there.

Bruce

I got the Rudy Projects (Tactical Rydon Model) for the exact reason you state. Although they have an inner RX peice. They work well for me. I got them in monovision. Now I understand they come in a plastic that is more optical true than the ones I got a couple years ago. I recommend them.

www.SunBuster.info

I hooked up with them just before the Shot Show and love them. It's the best deal in town. Check it out.

Over the past 20 years of shooting I've tried all the brands and never found anything that was just right. These have the prescription inserts that are ordered separatley from the glasses. The glasses themselves come with a case and five different color lenses, cleaning cloth, removable strap, and the frame has adjustable nose piece and bendable ear piece. All for around $100 retail.

Bruce

Bruce,

this post is great timing, I'm in the market for new shades. the sunbusters look good, but I got a few questions.

1. I got a big head, physically, not ego wise :P , and I have touble finding wrap type glasses that fit. most are tight around the temples. do the sunbusters have a model for big head.

2. the rx insert, do they sell the insert seperately, or do you have to send your prescribtion

in.

3. where do you buy them, the only placed I found online, don;t sell the rx insert?

Thanks

Ray

It is pretty hard to beat the Rudy Project line of glasses that are available with either a RX insert (one of two types) or in some cases direct in frame rx'ing.

Lifetime scratched lens replacement, 3 year frame warranty and with the new Impact X lens, they are guaranteed not to break!

The Exception is very well suited for large heads (like mine) and is a flip up model. Since the RX insert sits on the same focal plane as a normal pair of glasses, many of the associated problems with corrective lenses are mitigated.

The Ketyum features sprung temples, so they are also well suited for larger heads. This pair uses the clip in RX insert.

In all cases, changing lens colors to suit lighting conditions is easy and fast and you don't have to remove the RX insert to do so. Many shooters have opted for more than one RX insert to correct when shooting open or limited and even driving inserts.

Since the RX insert is typically filled locally with a shooters normal eye doctor or lab, we find a much better turn around time and satisfaction level with the correction. I have seen that cost as low as 10 bucks for a pair of lenses and as high as 90. Rudy does offer in house RXing if that is something of interest.

[bruce,

this post is great timing, I'm in the market for new shades. the sunbusters look good, but I got a few questions.

1. I got a big head, physically, not ego wise :P , and I have touble finding wrap type glasses that fit. most are tight around the temples. do the sunbusters have a model for big head.

I have the Sunbuster's Shooter Set and they fit my large head pretty well. I haven't tried the RX version.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok found my invoice for my Oakley RX inserts Peepers.com $113.90 in 2001 my inserts are still holding up fine. The RX part is mounted to the nose pice and I can put any Oakley lenzes over them. I sent them the Oakley nose pice and they mouted the RX lenz

The invoice says 'NYX Single Vision Poly.RX'

I am going to order some new ones soon

Jamie B)

Ok found my invoice for my Oakley RX inserts Peepers.com $113.90 in 2001 my inserts are still holding up fine. The RX part is mounted to the nose pice and I can put any Oakley lenzes over them. I sent them the Oakley nose pice and they mouted the RX lenz

Jamie B)

What kind of Oakleys do you have?

I have the M frame with 4 differant lenses. I was going to sell them because I can't see iron sights. but if there is a way to get my perscription for the M frames I might keep them.

I am in the process of ordering glasses from Wiley-X now through my local optomitrist. I am getting the Romer II. With these you get Rx lenses not inserts. For me these are a great thing since my company requires saftey glasses I am going to have them pick up the tab for my glasses I'll where them at work and use them for shooting too. If you work in an place that requires safety glasses think of this as an alternative to normal saftey glasses espesially if you can get your company to foot the bill.

The Oakley lenses can be order with prescription on both the M and M Pro frame, that is what I'm using.....that way you get no distortion at all, and focus in multiple points into the lenses check there site for more info....the RX insert type glass you get some distortion on the edge ie: from my two pairs of Bolle with a RX insert!

But the draw back is of course $ as the lenses are not cheap.....but worth the $ for me...

Jamie B)

What kind of Oakleys do you have?

I have the M frame with 4 differant lenses. I was going to sell them because I can't see iron sights. but if there is a way to get my perscription for the M frames I might keep them.

I have M frame Oakley = Oakley will so the Rx lenz but it cost twice what the lenz insert are form peepers.com The only problem I have is with the rubber nose pice needing replaceing. The oil in my greezy skin breaks the rubber down.

I picked up my new Rudy's today with the clip on Rx insert.

They seem nice, but so far all I have done is drive home with them on.

Sunday will be the first real test to see how I like them for shooting.

The funny part of he conversation with the eye doc when I explained what I wanted the Rx sunglasses for:

"what have you been wearing while shooting up until now?"

Just regular non-prescription Oakleys

"Don't you need to be able to see clearly when shooting?"

Yes, in theory.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but do you kinda suck?"

Well, sometimes. But I don't think I can blame my glasses.

I picked up my new Rudy's today with the clip on Rx insert.

They seem nice, but so far all I have done is drive home with them on.

Sunday will be the first real test to see how I like them for shooting.

The funny part of he conversation with the eye doc when I explained what I wanted the Rx sunglasses for:

"what have you been wearing while shooting up until now?"

Just regular non-prescription Oakleys

"Don't you need to be able to see clearly when shooting?"

Yes, in theory.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but do you kinda suck?"

Well, sometimes. But I don't think I can blame my glasses.

<_< are your shurr the DR was not making a pass at you? :D

www.SunBuster.info

Bruce

Bruce,

2. the rx insert, do they sell the insert seperately, or do you have to send your prescribtion

in.

3. where do you buy them, the only placed I found online, don;t sell the rx insert?

Thanks

Ray

1. I use the "Dude", which is the one piece lens system. I'm a 7 1/2 hat so we're in the

same boat. They'll fit you fine.

2. They're in the market for sales reps and distributors now. Email them directly and ask

for a location. Maybe they'll sell to you directly.

3. When you buy the package, (case, frames, 5 lenses, cloth, cord) there is a prescription

instruction paper w/ each set. Take it to your optomitrist and have him fill it out. Make

sure he gets your Pupil Distance. Mail it in and your prescription inserts, that are

attached to a new nose piece, will be mailed to you.

I've tried all the others mentioned on this thread. All are sitting in a pile for one reason or another. Most just didn't give me the vision I needed and all were not comfortable. I just shot the Midwest 3-Gun Championships, shot all day, sat thru the awards, and got in the car to drive home when the guy I was traveling with told me I still had my SunBusters on. I don't think you'll be disappointed.