Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A group of avid Action Pistol shooters travel from NZ to Columbia every year. We are also avid bourbon drinkers :cheers: . I make my own sipping bourbon (legal in NZ) and we would love to try some of your recommendations when we come over in May. You may donate bottles for judging :rolleyes: or join us in our quest but we require guidance.

goldfieldshooter

coatesy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bourbon can only be made in the U.S. You can make whiskey, but not bourbon. To be bourbon it has to meet certain requirements one of which is being made in the U.S. most are made in Kentucky, but they do not have to be. Many types of spirits have these sorts of rules. For instance Jack Daniel's is a Tennessee whiskey. It must be made in Tennessee. Cognac must be made in the Cognac region of France.

Now with that out of the way, try Blanton's it's a wonderful single barrel bourbon. Definitely my favorite. Booker's is another.

The absolute best bourbon is the one someone buys for you. :D

I was in Lexington, Kentucky on business when they pushed the warehouse into the river, I think it was Wild Turkey, because it was on fire. If memory serves me right, 17,000 barrels. Well, at least the fish died happy!

Personally, I like the small batch Bourbons, but end up drinking Buffalo Trace more than anything else.

Some of my favorites they are all really good!

1. Buffalo Trace

2. Elija Craig

3. Knob Creek

4. Jim Beam ( 7 year old) will do in a pinch!

The Tennesse sour mash is good too.

1. George Dickel, I prefer the black label.

And of course there is always: Jack Daniels

If you can find a bottle of the Buffalo Trace I don't think you will regret it.

Robin :cheers:

The best bourbon is the bourbon sitting in front of me!

But seriously folks, I'd go with HERE!

Best I've had in some time.

A great Whisky but not a Bourbon.Try Bookers Barrel strength, but use ice or Water!!! Runs around 126 proorf depending on the year

Savages!

Let me intro you to "Pappy." The prices aren't for the faint of heart, but it's the best in the world... hands down. IMO

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/we...me?opendocument

Thanks for the link, I like to try new stuff and that just sounds good. 23 yr. old bourbon mmmmm.

Edited by gunsablazin

I have always liked Makers Mark. Got a bottle on my mantle with the blue top that was done when Kentucky won the National Championship back in 96'. There have been times I wanted to break it open. Maybe one day that bottle will be opened.

Now for the best bargain bourbon. Benchmark- My brother owns a grocery store in Midway which is in Woodford County, Kentucky. He tells me the manager of Woodford Reserve came in one day and told him the Benchmark was Woodford Reserve that the taster didnt pass as good enough for Woodford reserve. Its probably not widely available but a 1.75 liter bottle is only 19.00. Compared to Makers Mark at 35.00 a fifth.

Well, That certainly is a subject that is dear to peoples hearts. J_Ho i am aware of the differences in the bourbon/whiskey thing but if I said I was making Hikutaia Hooch you wouldn't have had a clue what i was talking about :D

We do get some of the good ones here and i am sipping my way through a bottle of Makers Mark that my wife got duty free at the airport( as a quality control comparison). Woodford Reserve is available now and again but the price is not for the faint hearted. We will certainly have some taste testing to do in May and we will post the results. If you guys come over for the World Action Pistol Champs in Nov 2008 I am sure there will be some of Coatesy's Hikutaia Hooch around the place :cheers:

coatesy