Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Preferred Trigger Pull Weight for Pistol?

Religious Shooter

Didn't see a poll on this. Just wondering...

While shooting the breeze at our A2 hotel room two of my squadmates basically said I had a heavy and (therefore a) slow to break trigger on my Limited gun.

During the match I broke away too early from a couple of targets. I'm toying with the idea of getting the trigger redone to potentially reduce this. (And yes... I know practice and calling the shots better will also help. :P Just humor me. )

I used to be a 2.5 guy until I had a single stack built a few years back where the smith got a bit carried away and delivered just under 2.0. It wore into a really sweet 1.75. Now all my 1911 pattern pistols are there.

That ain't gonna fix the follow through challenged tho...

this freaks me out; I shoot no less than a 3# trigger, Ive never really seen any problems arise for me when I break the shot. Can I, will I benefit from a sub 3# trigger?

I slap the trigger, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Youd think a light trigger would benefit a slapper.

edit: my splits are PLENTY fast and if I concentrate, I have no real accuracy problems.

Edited by mike cyrwus

• 3 months later...

Hey where's the Revolver Weights????

Open (when I last shot it .38 Super Jet Comped Caspian Hi-Cap in 1994) was 2.00 Lbs.

Limited (New .40 S&W STI Benny Blaster) I've got the pull at 2.00 Lbs., but 2.25 Lbs is fine.

SS/L10 (Done by myself, a .45 and a .400 Cor-Bon) at 2.50 Lbs. with no follows/doubles.

Production (Glock) is at 4.25 Lbs. with spring changes. Can go lower (had it down to 3.25 Lbs.) but like the rebound better at 4.25 Lbs.

Revolver (by Randy Lee) was at 3.75 Lbs., but was too light to get used to, now at 5.25 Lbs. with strong rebound.

The minimum weight for Service Pistol in the Army was four pounds when I was shooting. I always set mine up to about 4.25 just to be sure mine made the weight. I shot these weights for 25 years. The values you wanted specified are both 4.25 lbs.