Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Primers

ONG

I've found them to be hard, but in a single week I had issues with large rifle and small pistol primers behaving erratically in cold weather. Ammo loaded with Winchester primers performed as usual. I will never use them again, although I used them for years before I ever had a problem. Federal and Winchester is all I use now.

They are harder than others, but I haven't had any problems with them. I'm mainly a revolver shooter, and avoid them because a revolver that has had an action job done on it works better with soft primers. Autos that have been worked on get picky too (Glocks moreso than 1911s), but not to the same extent. If you've got an essentially stock gun, they'll work fine.

Dunno about hardness when compared to other primers, but here's my experience: I've been loading and shooting CCI small pistol, large pistol, and small pistol magnum primers since 1998 in 9mm, .357", .40" and .45", through S&W 6904, Tanfoglio T95R, Taurus 617, Colt Series 80 Mk IV, SVI Competition.

They always worked flawlessly.

BTW, None of the above pistols had firing pins replaced with longer ones, they all were standard.

Edited by Skywalker

After tens of thousands of rounds of reloads with recently manufactured CCI LP primers, I've had no issues whatsoever. 18# mainspring. I did have two, exactly two rounds of factory CCI Blazer that wouldn't fire out of about 15,000 back when I was shooting factory ammo [ugh].

A friend, however, swears they can be out of round and difficult to use with a feed tube, but that claim needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

In general, I'm not particular when it comes to primers, except that I don't like Federal's packaging. All I could find this summer was Winchester and CCI and not at the same time, so that's what I used.

I recently switched to CCI from Winchester for Small Pistol. I had a number of failures with the Wins, plus I couldn't seem to get them to seat in 9mm S&B cases picked up off the range.

I've not had any problems with the CCI's. But I"ve made less then 1000 rounds and have shot less than 500 of those.

WM

• 4 weeks later...

I have used CCI primers for over 45 years. I have yet to have a problem with them. I am not saying that they are perfect, nothing is. The only problems that I have heard of is with the CCI 50 caliber primers (#35 if I recall correctly) splitting and causing major damage to the bolt face because of gas cutting. Just my luck I learned of this AFTER I bought 500 of them.

I would use what the gun works and shoots best with.

I see it a different way: I don't see CCI as hard; I see them UNRELIABLE.

I have a tuned S&W 625 revolver. If I use CCI, I get duds. LOTS of them. Light strikes mostly.

All I have to do is switch to Federal primers and the gun is 100% - which PROVES that its the primers and NOT the gun.

Sure, I suppose I could make the trigger heavy as all heck, and install custom parts like longer firing pins. But, since Federal are MORE RELIABLE, why would I do that?

But, to each his own. I am sticking with RELIABLE primer brands: Federal and PMC/Wolf.

I prefer that all my revolvers be able to fire Winchester primers. Having a gun that fires only Federal primers doesn't make much sense considering how the supply of Federal primers is drying up. Having such a light action is both cool and ridiculous at the same time.

CCI primers are the way to go for rifle loads, especially in the AR15. I have never had one leak in heavily utilized brass and they always go bang.

Dave Sinko

I have never even considered CCI primers as an option. I started using Win primers and that was all I ever used except Fed match primers for the rifles.

Years ago a local gunstore had them priced cheap (loss leader) and the wife went in a bought all the SP they had (15,000). Found out later it was only supposed to be 1K per customer. I shot them all up in both my autos and revolvers with no problems. Started buying Win primers at gunshows at $60-65 a case and have done that ever since even though the price has gone up.

When I first started loading over 20 years ago I used to load on a single stage and I would hand prime my brass. I distinctly remember when I tried some CCI LP. Without the leverage of a regular press I killed my thumb and went to another brand. I found out later that their primers are slightly larger in diameter and are a tighter fit the the primer pocket. I have recently used that to my advantage because I have a decent sized batch of starline 10mm brass that is getting worn out and the Wim primers are fitting loose so I bought some CCI LP primers just for those cases so I could keep loading them and because I am a cheap ass and can't toss it.

Neal in AZ

As I understand it, Lee requires either CCI or Winchester primers for their progressive press because of the way their primer ram works. They say that the others are softer and can deform or detonate. I guess that's more or less a confirmation of the opinion that CCI primers are harder.

Having said that, I've gone through about 5000 of them this year with only about four failures, and those could have been my fault. But I'm shooting a production Glock so there are not going to be many weak strikes. In fact, last weekend, I was shooting with a fellow who was having trouble with his "tuned" gun with some reloads I gave him to try. I picked up the ones that did not shoot and the primer had been dimpled, but had not fired. I loaded them up in my pistol and *boom*.

So, I guess it's not the primer and not the gun, it's the combination. Like the carpenter says, "there is nothing wrong with using a 10 penny nail, just don't use them on the trim". ^_^

Edited by Graham Smith

Lee tells you not to use Federal primers with their priming system on the press due to the "SaltShaker" action that the primers go through when you pull the lever. I dont remember if it was due to the static or just the rough movement, but I know at least three guys with "Primer face" from using Federals anyway.......They have some unique scars....luckily they all had glasses on.... :blink: Guess what press I dont have on my bench.....

CCIs plugged up my Square Deal when I first got it years ago, and was told not to use them in the press due to their inconsistent sizes. Having said that, they work just fine in service pistols, but are known for being the least "sensitive" primer for our uses.

DougC

The topic of primer brand and reliability (sensitivity) has come up often on this forum. Some folks are quick to bad-mouth one brand or the other, and for some reason CCIs are often singled out as being the victim. This is unfortunate because it casts a dark light on an excellent product. I would argue that this is often unfair. Here’s why.

Under normal conditions, with normal factory trigger pulls, the primer brand used would probably never come up. But many competitive shooters want an especially light trigger pull. The way they get this is to reduce the spring weight in the fire control system. In 1911s the hammer spring is the first thing replaced. From what I understand the usual factory 1911 hammer spring weight is 23lbs. Replacements generally start at 19lbs and go as low as 15lbs. Since competitive types want a shorter (faster) lock time, they often replace the steel firing pin with a titanium type that, even though it goes faster, has dramatically less mass and strikes the primer softer. In revolvers a weaker hammer spring is installed, or the existing one is thinned, or the tension on the hammer spring is reduced via the tension screw. The result is the same – a weaker hammer strike. The result is that suddenly the hardness of different primer brands (read: sensitivity) is distinguishable because we are pushing the limit of how much firing pin energy will set off a primer.

If your trigger pull is normal, or perhaps I should say that if your hammer strike is within the normal factory strength, all brands will work fine. If you have a lightened hammer strike, you might require a more sensitive primer. For some folks in their quest for a light trigger pull (notorious with revolvers), they can’t even get the most sensitive primers to fire reliably. There is a lesson here. It should be obvious that it’s not the primer, it’s the gun, or more correctly the gunsmith!

The usual ranking from softest (read: most sensitive) to hardest (not quite as sensitve) is: Federal, Winchester, CCI (opinions vary on where Remington primers fall in this scale). If you have a lightened hammer strike, Federals might be required for reliable ignition. Note that this does not imply that CCI primers are TOO hard. I’ve used well over 100,000 CCI primers (mostly pistol) and have no complaints. They are reliable and have produced some superb accuracy as tested via a Ransom Rest.

I run a 19lb hammer spring in my 1911s and have never had a failure with CCI pistol primers. Never. That's with the 100,000+ round count. And I continue to use them. I did have a couple of failures to ignite with CCI RIFLE primers and a 15lb hammer spring and titanium firing pin in my 1911 when I started making high pressure38 super loads. Now I use Federal rifle primers for my high pressure 38 super loads with a 19lb hammer spring and titanium firing pin with no problems. I don't use the CCI rifle primers in the high pressure 38 Super loads since I want that extra margin of reliability that is likely offered by the Federal primers.

Primers and Reloading Presses:

If you go through this forum you'll find folks who claim that one or the other primer doesn't work well with one or the other primer tube/reloading press. One person complains about Federal. Another person complains about Winchester, and so forth. I think there is a more reasonable explanation. I suspect that very small variations in tolerances during manufacturing might result in problems with Federal, CCI, Winchester, or Remington primers with whatever equipment you happen to be using.

The bottom line is that all the primer brands are superb products and there is no need to avoid any of them unless they have proven unreliable in the system that you are using. Folks often blame the primer, but given the variety of complaints that people voice, the most reasonable explanation is that it’s that particular reloading press.

For the record, CCIs feed just fine through the primer tube on my 650. I've had more trouble with Winchester primers.

So there!

Superdude, you are right on with your assessments. I've had 2 primer failures in my life, both happen to be CCI. CCI problem? Hardly. My home gunsmithing problem? Absolutely! Light mainspring with a few coils cut off will eventually equal unreliable ignition. New untouched mainspring and problem disappeared........

CCI and Winchester have a less sensitive compound than Federal or Remington. This is why Lee cautions use of their automatic primer feeder with other than CCI/Win brands.

The ONLY issue with "hardness" is thickness of the primer cup and this isn't constant though the brands/types.

QUOTE(bubback @ Dec 22 2007, 08:29 PM)

Won't feed worth a damn in my 550 primer tube.

That is the only problem I have head about them.they don't feed.

I was told by a friend to use Winchester, so I did.

I have no problems. 10 + years ago

WELL NOW that makes me feel a lot better. CCI's were giving me a ration and I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. :cheers: HEE HEE much better.

I have used CCI primers exclusively in everything from

prod. guns, 2011, light spring, titanium pin, rifles, etc..(thousands!!)

I have always heard of but never expirienced any failure

to fire problems. If they are extra hard I see it as an added

insurance. Just look up the dropped round detonation thread

, all Federal primers and take a look at an AR primer after its

been chambered but not fired(yikes!)

I have also heard of bad batches of Federals that dudded no

matter how hard they were hit. until I have a problem I would

have to say they are a top notch product!!!