Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't come for the prize table, come for the "season opener" a chance to match up with the toughest field this side of the nationals, and great stages.

Stages have evolved over the years from a specific "all open, statics" FL OPEN flavor to pretty normal except that the props are AWESOME and the targets are shaped like amoebas.

Hope to see you there. :cheers:

Just call em turtles. (I like Turtles! B) )

what kind of prizing if you are on top 50 overall in open?

Don't kid yourself. If you're not in the top 10 - 15 you're not going to get a greqat prize, let alone a gun. I was 49th in Limited 2 years ago. It was NOT a good place to be. Very humbling. It's a very tough match.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I'm not sure about the very top finishers & the prize table but after the first few folks, you are just in line & the people helping out hand you a bag from the table. I believe I had a $50 cert from Montana Gold & some little gadgets.

Year before last, the last time I went & probably the last time I'll go, Frank just said "get in line about in the place you finished". This after hours of awards & so forth. The match was over several hours before the prizes were finished. It was almost dark before we left. The match itself was fun but for me, the waiting between stages was more than I can do. It was common to arrive at the stage in your squad of 16-18, have a squad there getting their briefing or maybe they were shooting but never over halfway through, another squad waiting, & then your squad. I guess this allows lots of time for you to check out other shooters & other squads, & other stages but it wreaks havoc with any type of match flow for me. Evidently that is my failing so obviously YMMV. By the way, the two years I shot it, absolutely no zero zilch no-shoots! That is a plus.

If anyone cared what I thought, I think he should either limit entries & make the match smaller or spread it over 3 days to not have so many folks in each squad or not so many squads on the range. This is just my opinion, & my experiences there. I recommend you shoot it once & see for yourself. It must work perfectly for lots of folks. To each, their own, you know? MLM

2006 FO (the only one that I shot) was a 10 long courses (32 rounds each) match.

Expect open, mostly static, paper targets with at least 1/3 of them beyond 18/20 yds distance.

Few swingers, some activated by metal targets, some by AWESOME props (refigerator door and bowling ball come to mind).

Very few steel targets, maybe no more than 10% of the total targets count.

Small arrays of targets, scattered over the whole CoF, some running-and-gunning but lotsa ports and windows as well.

Be prepared to memory stages: looks like FG is fond of stages where you will be able to see the same target from many different positions, and this will pretty much cause troubles if you don't have a rock-steady practice of counting rounds and targets during your walkthrough.

Guys, this match isnt about the prize table, never was and never will be. :blink: If you place you get a nice trophy and maybe a little money. The prizes are just put into bags and handed out as they all are worth about the same. The reason you shoot this match is to go to florida in feb, get out of the cold, and see old friends as well as shoot a great match. You also get to shoot with great international talent. If you're coming for the prize table and then going to whine about it because it didnt meet youre expectations, stay home and save the rest of us the grief of having to listen to it. :angry2: We spend thousands on this sport between the equipment and travel and hotel/meals and youre worried about a damn prize table. Be worried where you finish overall. :excl:

As others have mentioned, this match has historically been about the shooting and the competition.

The prizes this year will be handled totally differently from years past. Frank is planning to primarily give away guns for class and category wins. I know very little beyond what is shown on the website or match application but can say that things are changing.

Frank runs this match as an international match and those that have participated can attest, there are as many foreign shooters in attandance as can be found at any match short of the world shoot. I think that is also the reason for the amoeba targets.

Edited by L9X25

As others have mentioned, this match has historically been about the shooting and the competition.

So that's why the entry fee is $200. Having no no-shoots, little steel and the uber-expensive "turtle" targets certainly adds up quickly. Oh, that's right - I have to pay for food while I'm there too. Lucky thing, if lunch was included it might be $300...

Won't stop me from going though. It is the biggest match in FL and pretty much the first "major" of the year.

Jeff

I don't think that the target shape, lack of no-shoots or minimal steel are cost cutting measures ... that is simply how he wants his maches to be. He has plenty of steel, and spends enough money on the props and materials that pretty much negate penny pinching as a motive.

I don't think that the target shape, lack of no-shoots or minimal steel are cost cutting measures ... that is simply how he wants his maches to be. He has plenty of steel, and spends enough money on the props and materials that pretty much negate penny pinching as a motive.

I only have experience with the 2007 Florida Open. The props were the same as I just shot at the recent Monster Match and the Florida State Match which was 2 weeks after the '07 FL Open, held at the same range. The stage props and materials are no better than the Area 5, 6, and 8 matches that I shot earlier this year, which entry fees were half the cost of the FL Open.

Mr. Garcia is the organizer who owns and lives on the range property which also houses his shooting school. I'm not convinced that the Florida Open costs 80% of the LPR Nationals to run, as reflected in the entry fee. If Mr. Garcia can make a mint on the FL Open, more power to him - he certainly earned that right and the demand is apparently there. However, people on a forum saying that the match fees aren't enough to buy better prizes or support a deeper field is BS, IMHO. There were 311 competitors in 2007, @ $200 each (for those that registered on time) it's pretty simple math.

All that said, I'll still be there. I really liked the Universal Shooting Academy magazine pouches that were in my prize bag.

Jeff

I only have experience with the 2007 Florida Open. The props were the same as I just shot at the recent Monster Match and the Florida State Match which was 2 weeks after the '07 FL Open, held at the same range. The stage props and materials are no better than the Area 5, 6, and 8 matches that I shot earlier this year, which entry fees were half the cost of the FL Open.

Mr. Garcia is the organizer who owns and lives on the range property which also houses his shooting school. I'm not convinced that the Florida Open costs 80% of the LPR Nationals to run, as reflected in the entry fee. If Mr. Garcia can make a mint on the FL Open, more power to him - he certainly earned that right and the demand is apparently there. However, people on a forum saying that the match fees aren't enough to buy better prizes or support a deeper field is BS, IMHO. There were 311 competitors in 2007, @ $200 each (for those that registered on time) it's pretty simple math.

All that said, I'll still be there. I really liked the Universal Shooting Academy magazine pouches that were in my prize bag.

Jeff

I'm pretty sure the props you speak of were origanally built for the 2007open and then used for the rest of the year for the other matches mentioned. I also believe that when or if you return to the open the props will be once again built practically from scratch.

I think this is one of the best matches of the year. If I can I will be back in 08.

before this gets shut down, let's stick to the thread and keep things positive.

It is NOT cheap, and I wish the prize table had more substance and depth (I'm not likely to win the $1000 for 1st, so if they don't award further back, I get "the bag" like everyone else).

That being said, the stages are challenging, the field is always tough, and it's close. I can drive to the range in less than an hour, and contrary to other postings, it's always run like clockwork.

Edited by dirtypool40

For me these are the reasons that I choose to go to the Florida Open each year, even though I live far away:

1. Well run "major" match with great stages and a high level of competition.

2. Chance to see folks from previous years that I have shot with that I might not see on the New England "circuit".

3. Chance to watch and speak to the TJ's, Mannys, TT and MM, etc of the world, and see how the sport is really done!

4. Chance to say hello to Frank who got me started in the sport a few years ago.

5. And most importantly..........get the hell out of New Hampshire winters for a few days in February.

For these reasons it is worth every penny spent each and every time. Chances of winning are small and, to me, not as important as those listed above.

For me these are the reasons that I choose to go to the Florida Open each year, even though I live far away:

1. Well run "major" match with great stages and a high level of competition.

2. Chance to see folks from previous years that I have shot with that I might not see on the New England "circuit".

3. Chance to watch and speak to the TJ's, Mannys, TT and MM, etc of the world, and see how the sport is really done!

4. Chance to say hello to Frank who got me started in the sport a few years ago.

5. And most importantly..........get the hell out of New Hampshire winters for a few days in February.

For these reasons it is worth every penny spent each and every time. Chances of winning are small and, to me, not as important as those listed above.

Nice! I agree with the above -- though don't WANT to know about Feb in NH <shudder> -- but for sure the *stages* have to be up there. For me, probably #1. Glyn -- do you remember that Production shooter on our squad last year? He's an extremely solid shooter, and nationally accomplished, but because of his flight/travel, arrived at the match for the first time 30 seconds before 'walk-thru' on our first stage. 330 seconds...just ain't enough. FTE on the first stage, after blowing by a target, then he got to wrestle with that 31-round/31 target monster, or whatever it was, for the second stage of the day.... :)

In two FlOpens, I haven't even *been* to the prize table; I'd like to hang around Sunday PM to watch the shoot-off, more than anything, but it's tough to weigh that vs. another night in a hotel, another day of a rental car, and at least a half-day of vacation on Monday....

I've shot in this match every year that I have been in this sport.

It has its positives and a few negatives but on the whole it is one that I don't want to miss.

It's a good kick off to the new season and a chance to go to a warm weather major match in February.

I say chance because at the last match, Frostproof wasn't frost proof.

However, every other year it's been blue skys and 70 degrees.

There are mostly long field courses and a high round count.

There is no "Super Squad" so you never know who you might get to shoot with.

The match usually draws a lot of international shooters so it's pretty colorful.

Frank gives trophies and plaques to Division and class winners but seems to favor the Open and Limited divisions.

He generally has a decent prize table and in the past your entry put you in a drawing for a Harley.

The match is relatively expensive and usually pretty crowded but well worth the time and money to attend.

It is as good as any area match I have ever attended and I keep going back for more.

Tony

Edited by 38superman