Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HOBBYIST or SPORTSMAN

Nemo

Reflecting about my shooting and frustrations about it of late, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am not a true sportsman. Practical shooting is my game but I don’t treat it seriously as a sport in which I want to be competitive. I do participate in a couple of local matches per month, try to get to the majors in my area and I finally attended Nationals, but I know my preparation to compete at all these was and is most of the time lacking.

I could say that life in general (job, family, finances, (fill in the blank)) limit my ability to seriously practice, but actually when I could squeeze in some practice time and ammo, most of the time I elect to do other things or maybe do nothing. Even when I do some at-home practice I’m really not thinking about it, just repeating the same skills, right or wrong, over and over. So… Whatever level of performance I can demonstrate is not really because I strived to achieve it but more because I’ve been doing this for so long.

That’s my reality. I would like to say that I will change it and that next time you see Nemo at a match you will see the best competitor I can be, but that’s not the truth. My truth is that I’ll keep doing it as I have been for the last 4-5 years; what I’m doing now. All I have to do is come to terms with this reality and accept that I’m a hobbyist and match results will keep reflecting that until I decide otherwise.

Now… Are you a sportsman or a hobbyist?

<_< I think that is very cool that you found that truth in your shooting. I have to strive to be a Sportsman. But I think that for every 10 Sportsman you have 60 hobbyist.

Not that any thing wrong with that at all. I get beet by Hobbyist all the time. but when a hobbyist is disappointed about the score at a Steel match I try to point out to them that the day before, I practices -hrs the week before I drove to a shoot. the weekend before that I practice -hrs on Sat and shot a match on Sunday. ETC ETC ETC

+In the month of October I shot 6 match days at five diff matches + 16+ hrs AT the range practicing or checking gear, not including 1/2 a day to get Benny to fix what I messed up

Benny fixed my gear with a smile too :cheers:

Oh miles over 1,800 for October <_<:unsure: Why do I still... :blink: Suck :blink:

I am truly a sportsman. It is in my blood. If I'm not out somewhere shooting .... I am somewhere else thinking about shooting. I always strive to do better at the next match, and never forget my mistakes.

It was a pleasure seeing you again at the Florida Sect. match. You and your kids are always a joy to be around. Keep it up RBB ! B)

I understand a lot of your pain Nemo

I evolved from a hobyist into a Sportsman...... but now I feel myself reverting back.

This year I shot in 21 matches. 13 club, 7 majors, and one nationals (which is quite a bit given that I live in a locale that has a pretty short shooting season. (As I type this post...it is snowing outside my window). :sick:

By the time the MI State USPSA match on September 30th rolled around I was totally burned out and really had to give myself a serious pep talk just to attend the match. I won HOA Revolver... which should haved juiced me up---but my 625 hasn't been out of the vault since.

Thanks to my mis-spent youth, injuries, and aging Super Senior body.....I have probably accomplished all that I can reasonably expect. Cataracts, spinal arthritus, blown knee that needs a replacement.... etc. etc.

The problem for me will be---- how AND IF I can "go back" to being a hobyist. I faced this years ago when I was a pretty good golfer... when I hurt my back I couldn't play as well , or pratice for hours, I found out that it was just no fun to miss shots that I had hit a million times before.. so I finally totally quit cold turkey.

I have to work harder every year and every month not to slide backward and it's getting damn hard to find the motivation to do all that.... especially against shooters with 20/20 (or better) eyesight that are a third my age. :angry:

You know, I think you described me pretty well. Along with alot of us. On Friday or Saturday night before a match when I am mixing up powdered Gatorade to throw in the freezer, I allways chastise myself for going the whole week with out any practice at all, And I currently have all the time in the world but still dont. Guess I am a Hobbyist also,

What if it's both? I want to be very competitive, but until I get paid to shoot, I guess it's just a serious hobby.

That sounds like me. Whlie I am working hard to get to master class in CDP, I practiced hard for the TN state match, and did pretty well, last Sat. at a local match I just said to myself to relax and just shoot for the pleasure of just shooting today. I still did OK but I just shot for fun. A win to me is shooting every stage to the best of my ability and at the end of the day if I don't have the best score I refuse to let that have a negative impact on my self esteem. I structure my practice around my weaknesses and always try to improve, it can be frustrating if you let it. Every time I reach a higher level it exposes a new weakness, if perfection is your goal this may not be your sport. I'm going with serious hobby, I like to win but if the game stops being fun I'll find something else to do.

Robin

Interesting post, thanks for sharing Nemo. I've gone through some of the same things this year, when (really if) I practice I'm not doing all that I should if I really want to commit to the sport. I know and understand many of the techniques but don't drive them home in my own shooting. Motivation or lack there of has been a real problem for me this year and some real life stuff didn't help matters. Literally the night before Summer Blast I sat there in the hotel contemplating whether or not is was even in me to drive to the range the next morning (after driving 5 hours to get to the match). I ended up having a good match; actually winning my class for the first time. A couple weeks later I went through the exact same thing with the Area 8 match. Even while driving to the match I wasn't sure I wanted to be there. In both cases I had fun shooting the matches but following those matches the desire to really dive in to my shooting that was brought on by my better than expected finishes was short lived. If my home club didn't host a sectional match in Oct I probably wouldn't have picked up a gun again in '07.

I voted Hobbyist above but really half my problem is which path do I follow. At the peaks I think go for it (Sportsman-wise) and in the valleys I about-face to more of a "weekend diversion" mentality. I'm hoping to take a few months off, pick up practice again in January to get ready for the Florida Open. Maybe by that time I'll have some of the fire back.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy competing and definitely LOVE winning. Just not up to the task of doing what I have to do to do it consistently. Again, the hardest part of the realization that I can't call myself a true sportsman is when the results are posted. That's the learning that I have to do if I "want" to keep the non-existing training regime that I've been following. This state only kinda' bothers me thus no real hunger to do different.

BUT, I still have the greatest time at the range with my sons and between friends! The stage I enjoy the most is the one after the last!

:cheers:

I think until you are earning an income from shooting, it is just a hobby. It may be an obessive hobby, but a hobby nonetheless. Shooting is something i do a lot...4-5 local matches per month, at least 4-5 bigger matches plus nats and an area match.

I spend alot of time cleaning, trying new parts, etc etc. But it is really something i do to pass my time when away from my practice. It takes a priority from my other hobbies and interests, but in the end.... a hobby. But fun.

Hobbyist is the truthful answer, but I crave the time and money to be a sportsman. I have not had a single minute to practice in two months because of the fall schedule. But in the summer when the time is there for dry fire and practice I make some pretty good improvement as a shooter, but I get rusty in the fall when things get busy.

I still manage two club matches a month but can sense I am shooting below my ability on most stages, and find it much harder to be consistent.

I play to win but love the sport.

A competitor, giving blood, sweat, and tears to get where I am.

+ many on the blood, sweat, tears part.

I play the game for the love of the game, but I also try to improve my skills also. If I win anything it is a bonus and rewards the practice and sacrifices. I know how hard other folks work, so I don't feel bad finishing behind another shooter who works hard also, I respect their efforts, skill, and sacrifices.

I generally feel like a winner just because I get to play the game with such great folks.

I don't consider myself a professional shooter, but I do make my living fixing up people's blasters and training folks how to use them.

Today - a hobbyist. I don't give it the attention I'd like.

Yesterday . . . I wouldn't say a sportsman. I'd say a competitor.

What I see myself as? A competitor.

What am I when the buzzer goes off? A competitor that has logged (as of late) hobbyist time. My only benefit is the competitor time logged some time ago.

J

I want to be a sportsman, but just flat out can't afford it and don't have the time.

But I use every spare moment I can in the attempt to better my shooting, but the family comes first and foremost.

I don't expect to win every match, but I do want to win.

So I voted other as I guess that I'm "a wanna be" for now. :mellow:

When I hear Sportsman, I think of bracket drag racing. You love doing what you do, but you only want to compete with those of similar skill/performance level.

A Hobbyist to me is someone who just likes doing something.

Everyone would like to win, who likes to lose? Just get out and shoot. Too me you already won by doing what you love to do.

I voted "hobbyist". I love handguns, and am finally at the point in my life where I have some cool ones, and shoot them in competition. I'm a decent shooter, but not wonderful; I could improve a bunch given the required dedication. If I were a sportsman, I'd put away most of my guns and concentrate on one or two, no more shooting my 4" nickle M57 at IDPA matches just 'cause it's cool. :) (Actually, I *have* stopped shooting my N frames due to the non-availability of Comp II/III/Jetloaders...maybe I'm a wee bit "sportsman" after all!)

For a lot of us, the hobbyist route was the result of the priorities we've chosen in life. When you have a spouse and/or kids you love, it takes a bit off the drive to always be either practicing or competing.

When I hear Sportsman, I think of bracket drag racing. You love doing what you do, but you only want to compete with those of similar skill/performance level.

A Hobbyist to me is someone who just likes doing something.

I voted "other" as well.

A sportsman: Someone who engages in sports

An ATHLETE: A physically active individual training for or participating in an amateur, educational or professional athletic events, a person TRAINED to COMPETE in sports.

When it is fur and feather season and I follow the rules and regulations of hunting in Maine, I am a sportsman.

Every other minute of the year I am training, practicing, reloading, cleaning, tinkering, and thinking USPSA/IDPA/3 Gun shooting...

I am an athlete! :goof:

Edited by maineshootah

I am an athlete! :goof:

In the context of my post and poll, maybe due to my very limited knowledge of the English language, I used the term SPORTSMAN to have the same meaning of an ATHLETE. :unsure: Oh... whatever... that thing I'm not... ;)

Competitors, most of us are, because we engage in competition and at the end we are interested +/- in the final results. Do you compete as a sportsman/athlete or just as a hobbyist/recreational shooter?

Sorry but I refuse to be labeled.

I love this sport and I do everything in my power to be as good at it as I possibly can be.

I go to the gym regularly to do strength and aerobic training.

At the age of 55 that is something I do for one reason only. Shooting.

I can't be competitive otherwise.

We all have constraints on our time, money, health (and in some cases, talent).

That reality will probably keep me from the highest levels of the sport, but it will never stop me from trying.

The world I live with may keep me a hobbyist, but in my heart I am a competitor.

I may never win that championship trophy, but I like to think that my best effort makes that trophy mean something.

Tony

Edited by 38superman