Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

zero vs montana gold

Mike Dame

Flex,

The MG's are jacketed as well.

Zero bullets are copper jacketed and the Montana Gold bullets are brass jacketed. I have shot both through my STI Edge and both shoot equally accurate.  I currently use the Zero. Will probably switch to MG's when I run out.

Mike,

Make your decision based on Copper vs Brass or $$.

Both are good bullets.

I have used both Zero and Montana Gold bullets and both have given me good results, but right now for my G17 Open (9x19 major) gun I'm using Montana Gold’s 125 Grain FP RS (357 SIG)  since it's at least .030 shorter than most 115 grain bullets out on the market today.

For 40 S&W and 45 ACP I tend to use Golden West which is a local LA (South El Monte) manufacturer whose prices just can’t be beat when it comes to jacketed bullets.

I think it all depends on your distance to the manufacturer.  Around here the cheapest are MG and LaserCast.  Both are a couple hundred miles away.  Berry is about 500 miles and the next cheapest.

I think a LOT of the cost is driven by shipping costs.

Not sure it is a "finding MG cheap thing"...it is just that everything else is so dang expensive because it has to be shipped so far.  ;)

LaserCast lists a shipped price on their website but I am so close to them that when they charge the real shipping charges my actual price drops a few %.  It is great to see a company that is honest and doesn't just pocket the extra $.

An additional plus with using bullets made close to home is that one can often drive to the factory and really save some $$.

Have your MG shipped to your commercial work address and save the $5.  Won't work for me as I work in an anti environment but it might work for you.

Another possibility is to get a bunch of folks together and put in large orders to get better pricing.  Or, if the factory is close enough, take a field trip and see how many pickup springs you can break on the way home.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

If your gun doenst like hollow points but you like the enclosed base, MG offers a 180 CMJ, withs is a flat point bullet with an enclosed base.more expensive than the MFJs but less expensive than the HPs  I use the 180 MG CMJs in my limited gun. MG also offers CMJs in other calibers

• 2 weeks later...

I have used both in 40. Did not see much difference in the two. I have tried the 180 and 200 gr. I prefer the MG 180 gr. hp just because the gun really likes them. But I don't hesitate to use either brand.

I can get MG cheaper, because I live about a half hour from Leck's guns. They carry MG so I can save the shipping.

Mike4045

• 5 years later...

I normally load MG and I just loaded a handfull of zeros. When I drop tested them they went in snug, but fit flush in the case gauge. Looking at them afterwards, there were slight scratches (made by the case gauge) on the bullets (not the casings). Thought I might have something wrong with gause and ran some MG's through it, no issue. Tried them in a .40 barrel, again no issue with either brand. Both groups of bullets are 180 JHP, but it seems like the Zeros are a CH bigger than the MG. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Ghost products in Mesa AZ Sell the 180 JHP fom Zero fo $60.00 per k and the 9mm all types from Zero for $40.00 per K

480 357 7003

I think to get anywhere near that from MG you have to buy 7 cases?

Oh, I wish bullet prices were still down there! :surprise:

I usually shoot Zero, 180 grain jhp, but, when I was having trouble getting Zeros, I bought a case of MG. I tried them side by side in 4 or 5 pistols and the Zeros were more accurate, and delivered higher velocities.