Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Makes Jerry Miculek So Good?

Gunmac

I have never met the man and don't understand how a 55+ year old stays on top of the competition.

I am in the same age group with my eye sight fading and reflexes slowing down. Jerry on the other hand beats all challengers with ease.

Does he have some unique physical characteristics to account for his dominance?

Tom

I have never met the man and don't understand how a 55+ year old stays on top of the competition.

I am in the same age group with my eye sight fading and reflexes slowing down. Jerry on the other hand beats all challengers with ease.

Tom

............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.................

He gets paid to do it.............

Thread drift on:

What if.........all the big Gun Maker's held a "try-out" every few years to recruit new talent.....

Starting anual salary $ 100,000 (a 4yr deal).....All expenses paid to any level II-III match you wanted to attend.

What would be your stragety to win a slot to represent a top sponsor.???????

Keep in mind, there's alot of great amateur talent out there......What's your game plan to "Turn Pro"? basically.

Edited by D.carden

1. he is a true gentleman and exemplifies the shooting sports

2. decades of practice

3. decades of confidence

4. owns all the world records for revolver

6. if he is 55, he is in great shape, more like that of a 30 year old

6. his passion is that he still loves to shoot

7. practice practice practice

8. he has earned all his titles

9. his only known allergies are to Kyrptonite :-)

God Bless the King of Revo!

Experience, IMHO. I doubt there is anyone with more experience in "shooting" in general.

I've only had the chance to meet him once. Incredibly guy, great shooter.

But what really set him apart from the rest was experience and all the benefits that come with experience (less stress, knowing what your opponent has done and what you have to do to beat them)

Edited by spook

Tom

............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.................

He gets paid to do it.............

Thread drift on:

What if.........all the big Gun Maker's held a "try-out" every few years to recruit new talent.....

Starting anual salary $ 100,000 (a 4yr deal).....All expenses paid to any level II-III match you wanted to attend.

What would be your stragety to win a slot to represent a top sponsor.???????

Keep in mind, there's alot of great amateur talent out there......What's your game plan to "Turn Pro"? basically.

Start a new one it is worth the space.

It's just an "X" factor. Being wired a bit better, recognizing it and developing it. At JM's level you have to have all 3.

Old man time will catch up with us all some day. But, till then we can still enjoy the moment.

What makes a Koenig able to win 10 Cups & all those Masters Titles.

What makes TGO TGO?

It does seem that in the shooting sports those truly great ones are a bit more humble and approachable than in other sports.

Jerry is one of the nicest people I have ever meet in my life.

As pskys said, wired a bit different.

PRACTICE!

Robbie, Todd, Koenig, Sevigny,ect...

Nolan Ryan in baseball

Micheal Jordan in basketball,

Dale Earnheart, NASCAR.

God reached down and blessed some of us with special abilities and they figured it out and have taken it as far as they could.

The rest of us well we get to enjoy doing what we do.

Hey Guys:

Jerry doesnt have a a job other than the shooting sports, he has a lot of time to practice

in my opinion God smiles on nice folks, Jerry is a heck of a guy with a nice family

and loves what he does and loves the people he meets and shoots with.

Jim

Sailors custom :rolleyes::mellow:

pretty simple....................

He found out real quick that you lose brass when shooting an auto out of a boat ( a few years back ) so he and Elliot decided to shoot revolvers instead to save brass. He also kind of likes doing it a little ;)

Hop

What's your game plan to "Turn Pro"? basically.

Be careful what you ask for!!! Having played professional sports for 15 years, it is NOT what most people want to do, IT becomes a job. You have to love it!! To be good, for any length of time, you have to eat, sleep, drink it!!

Although many/most people think that they would like to be a pro shooter/athelete, VERY few can do it and actually enjoy it.

Be careful what you wish for, it might ruin a GREAT hobby!!

It did not for me, but I have seen it to 100's of others.

It must be an obsession. The amount of dry firing alone just to condition the arms, hands and fingers to move at that speed requires more effort than most of us will understand. You need to stick with it day after day for many years. The equipment pays a terrible price too in terms of wear. Any amount of self doubt will result in failure. And again, let's not forget McGivern. There is much to be learned from him and his book. If I recall, he was at his peak in 1931, he was older than Miculek is now and he accomplished all his feats shooting one handed. If he listened to most of the experts today, he'd be doomed right from the start. There really CAN be more McGiverns and Miculeks in the world if we have the desire and the dedication.

Dave Sinko

Tom

People are always are looking for secrets. Jerry's hands are big and strong and, of course, he has a quick trigger finger. But, most of all, the top guys in any division are excellent athletes.

Keep in mind also that Jerry is not just a great revolver shooter, he is a great shooter. He has won Multi Gun championships too.

He is proof that it is the Indian, not the Arrow. He can beat you using his own equipment, and then trade with you and beat you with your equipment.

Hey Guys:

Jerry doesnt have a a job other than the shooting sports, he has a lot of time to practice

in my opinion God smiles on nice folks, Jerry is a heck of a guy with a nice family

and loves what he does and loves the people he meets and shoots with.

Jim

Sailors custom :rolleyes::mellow:

As good a good ole boy as I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. A a GM class fibber story teller too!!!

Several years ago, jerry told us that one of the main reasons he took to shooting revo's is because he had to spend his evening dressing the propeller blades on air boats when you shoot auto's in them. Revolvers were the best thing to shoot in air boats.

It also helps that your shooting range is about 75 yards from you bedroom.

It's funny that people ask about physical characteristics. I was talking with Jerry at the S&W Winter Championship one year. He saw a brace on my arm for the tennis elbow.

He told me he had that operated on once and had the doc tighten the tendon a little so he could pull the trigger faster :lol:

I think Michael Bane once said on Shooting Gallery that Jerry has the best hands in the business. Whatever is the reason I have always enjoyed watching the master and hope he continues to compete for many years to come. Gives us older guys some respect.

For the record, Jerry's 53 or thereabouts.

First time I met Jerry was at Bill Hughes' old Texarkana bowling pin match back in the '80s. Jerry was just starting to become well-known in the competitive shooting circles. He always shot smoking fast, sometimes got too wild but when he connected on a run, he was virtually unbeatable. Over the years, he's become more and more accurate, and has never lost the speed.

Jerry is obviously a very gifted shooter, but he's also got more rounds on his "odometer" than just about anyone. He shoots and shoots and shoots and shoots. When he's not shooting, he's dry-firing.

One of the things I have always respected most about Jerry's shooting is that he can shoot any gun well. He used to clean up on the side events at Second Chance--one year he literally won nearly all of the side matches, picking up a whole armload of prize guns in the process. A couple years ago when the Outdoor Channel had that multi-discipline televised invitational match, where the competitors shot various guns that were provided for them, there was no doubt in my mind that Jerry would win, and I declared so here on the forum. I would have mortgaged my house to bet on Jerry against all the rest of that crowd, heads-up.

As so many others have mentioned, Jerry's also such a good-natured, decent human being that he really stands out, even in a sport that is heavily populated by good people. We're very fortunate to have him in the game.