Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube for cold weather

FranDoc

Recently discovered that the gun lube that's worked fine with the XD all summer is a bit ... ahem ... sluggish ... at 30 degrees. What do the cold-weather shooters like for Production guns at near-freezing temperatures - and WHY do you prefer what you use?

Thanks.

Move to a warmer climate <_<

All kidding aside, you need a oil and not a greasy lube.

Brian sells Slide Glide, and has different #'s for different Temps. Check out THIS

+1 Slide Glide Lite

Sorry for the drift but I must.....

Mike, are you saying you wouldn't recommend the stuff you had on your Edge at the start of the WPA Section?? :devil:

I'll spare the details but I think Mike's forum title should be something like "Breaks guns....."

To the OP's question I pretty much only run oil; tried gun butter and liked it when someone gave me some also.

Move to a warmer climate <_<

All kidding aside, you need a oil and not a greasy lube.

Brian sells Slide Glide, and has different #'s for different Temps. Check out THIS

+1 Slide Glide Lite

Sorry for the drift but I must.....

Mike, are you saying you wouldn't recommend the stuff you had on your Edge at the start of the WPA Section?? :devil:

I'll spare the details but I think Mike's forum title should be something like "Breaks guns....."

To the OP's question I pretty much only run oil; tried gun butter and liked it when someone gave me some also.

Hahahaha Breaks guns..... That is what I do best!

Edited by mjbine

mobile 1....great below freezing or any temp....mix with slideglide in hot weather(for pistols)....Mobile 1 is a carbon inhibitor good to use on the Remmy 1100 gas system us gennerously on the outside of polished mag tube...really make a remmy run good

mobile 1....great below freezing or any temp....mix with slideglide in hot weather(for pistols)....Mobile 1 is a carbon inhibitor good to use on the Remmy 1100 gas system us gennerously on the outside of polished mag tube...really make a remmy run good

+1 on synthetic.

+1

Slide Glide in the Summer, Mobil 1 when it gets cold. I learned this one Winter when I had to rack the slide and fire, rack the slide and fire, rack the slide and fire....after about 6 manual cycles the gun ran okay for the rest of a stage. Repeat on the next stage.

:cheers:

Recently discovered that the gun lube that's worked fine with the XD all summer is a bit ... ahem ... sluggish ... at 30 degrees. What do the cold-weather shooters like for Production guns at near-freezing temperatures - and WHY do you prefer what you use?

Thanks.

Fran,

A quart of Mobil 1 motor oil will last you forever, and only cost a few dollars. A light weight viscosity would suit your purposes.

How is your XD setup and what load are you running through it? They can get a little iffy with really light loads.

A quart of Mobil 1 motor oil will last you forever, and only cost a few dollars. A light weight viscosity would suit your purposes.

How is your XD setup and what load are you running through it? They can get a little iffy with really light loads.

Kyle --

Gun is an XD9, 4", pretty much out-of-the-box. Canyon Creek did their standard trigger adjustment over a year ago. The fiasco with the fiber optic front sight is the stuff of recent legend (SA knows). I swear by Tru-Grip because the polymer slides around too much without it. I use Slide Glide 'regular' viscosity and it's worked fine all summer. Dry lube runs the gun too dry, it's been tried.

Ammo: factory Remington 115 gr for matches, PF right at 125 at both OH & W PA Sectionals. Occasionally run Blazer Brass in practice, but that seems to create more recoil/flip and flash/bang more than the Remington.

I'm starting to work with reloads (4.0 of N320 with 124 gr PD or MG). Gun handles well in warm weather with that. Have not sent any of those through a chrono, will do that shortly. Will likely reload the next batch with Solo 1000 -- a bit cheaper than VV; and one of the guys I shoot with (Ryan) has a lot of experience with it and likes how it performs.

The lube question is because I shot Sat AM @ W PA -- in the shadows for the first 3 stages. Never ran the gun at ~35-degrees before and had not anticipated how much the slide cycle would slow. Got better once we moved into the stages with sun.

Our next match here will be Nov 4. We're sending burnt offerings to the weather deities, but we could well have an inch of sleet on everything by then. I need to have the gun prepped for cold unless I know it'll be 60 degrees & sunny. I plan to shoot all winter, but hopefully very little of that will be out in the snowbanks.

Will get a quart of synthetic oil and see how it works alone and combined with the Slide Glide. Thanks.

Thanks.

Fran,

+1 on the Mobil One. It is available in 0w20 as the lightest viscosity that I am aware of..

Being that its a 4" gun the slide isn't as heavy as mine with the 5" so I would think the 125 PF would be fine. As far as a XD or Glock, Or MP getting stuck because of lube are you putting rubber cement in there to :lol: J/K. I ran the medium slide glide year round in my XDs and switch to the lite slide glide.....umm about now for the 1911s thanks for the reminder lol.

Hello: I use Mobil 1 for oil. For grease I use Redline Assemble lube. If it works for the Porsche engines I build then it should be good for a pistol. I have not tried the assemble lube in really cold weather but down here 50 degrees is cold. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I use Mobil 1 for oil. For grease I use Redline Assemble lube. If it works for the Porsche engines I build then it should be good for a pistol. I have not tried the assemble lube in really cold weather but down here 50 degrees is cold. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Fifty degrees is T-shirt weather for this long-transplanted Canadienne! Already know that Slide Glide works OK at 50; it's freezing-and-below that I needed suggestions for.

Thanks to all. I have synthetic oil, will try the other options and see what works best.