Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

:lol:

You will understand it in a few years ... when you'll have kids ... there's no place (and I mean NO PLACE) in your house a child won't have access ... :D

BTW they're not movies, they're computer games. ;)

Edited by Skywalker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....I'm sure you're right, you would not want to leave standing water on this material.

Before it gets stained up too bad, finish it with a satin polyurethane finish. It will protect it from waterand oils as well as make it much easier to keep clean, which will make the Mrs. much happier with you.

FWIW

dj

This is for AZ BP Shootr - If they post, these are two photos from the underside showing how the top attaches to the Black & Decker Workmate (with a piece of 1' X 4"). In one shot I have the top loosened and pulled out so you can see the countersunk T-nuts that secure the two pieces of MDF board that was glued before screwing together. Send a PM if you need further details.

Regards,

Ken H.

post-13275-1203733045.jpg

post-13275-1203733055.jpg

My wife finally relented and let me use a closet as my loading room. Now both the 1050 and the 650 are installed on the bench.

• Compressed air piped in from the garage.
  • Shop vac (w/ filter bag) mounted on the other side of the wall in the attaic. Suction is piped through wall and switched above the bench.
  • Covered the carpet with plastic and then put plywood on top...screwed through into the subfloor beneath.
  • Left side has plenty of storage.
  • Number-pad key lock for quick access.
  • Tall drafting chair.
  • Added an a/c duct.
  • 4-bulb flourescent lighting
  • Dillon Vib-primer is wall switched.

Realize that this only 5.5'x7.5', but it is very functional. Wife has to encourage me to come out of the closet!

It is still a work in progress...need to add a few more shelves and hang more stuff from the begboard.

This beats the heck out of loading in the garage where I had to fight the humidity, bugs and the heat!

post-6337-1204004184.jpg

post-6337-1204004203.jpg

post-6337-1204004222.jpg

post-6337-1204004250.jpg

post-6337-1204004265.jpg

post-6337-1204004285.jpg

post-6337-1204004866.jpg

post-6337-1204004881.jpg

Edited by sidnal

This is for AZ BP Shootr - If they post, these are two photos from the underside showing how the top attaches to the Black & Decker Workmate (with a piece of 1' X 4"). In one shot I have the top loosened and pulled out so you can see the countersunk T-nuts that secure the two pieces of MDF board that was glued before screwing together. Send a PM if you need further details.

Regards,

Ken H.

Thanks a lot for your trouble. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't have room for a dedicated loading bench so I bolted my new 650 to my computer desk. The desk is made out of cabinet grade birch 3/4" ply. Normally 3/4" ply would not be rigid enough but with the footprint of the stongmount the bolts are only 2-3" away from the uprights that form the drawer cavity and consequently is quite rigid, more so than I imagined.

Dave

post-13962-1205719014.jpg

post-13962-1205719316.jpg

Edited by dmdalton

Hi All,

I'm a new reloader, and just got a 550 last week. I built a variation of the NRMA bench. I added a laminate counter top and used the backsplash to create a bookshelf and power outlets. The outlets under the bench are connected to a timer to control my case cleaner. The cabinets store my quick-change kits and supplies - it keeps "She Who Must Be Obeyed" happy with the lack of clutter in the workshop that is in our basement.

I really appreciate all the help that Brian gave me in configuring a very flexible system that also saved me some $$. I also have learned a lot from these forums, so thank you all!

post-14178-1205801954.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the camera, then I had to find the USB cable to download. But here is a picture of my room.

It was the Sauna, but since we aren't the type to lay around in the heat, it was converted to my use!! :cheers:

It is 5x7, and completey redwood lined. I added some melamine shelf boards to protect the benches, dropped the power from the 220v that came in for the heating unit to 110v so I would have power, and then put some cheap vinyl down to protect the floor.

I'm not quite up to 100% production on the dillon yet as I am still testing out loads for power factor for the 40 S&W and accuracy loads for the 223.

post-7777-1207524578.jpg

Here is my not-quite-a-week-old reloading area. I just upgraded from an RCBS Rock Chucker but must admit that I've only been reloading for a couple months now. Living in Austin, the garage seems to suit me just fine as I am normally out here tinkering on my bike or hanging out drinking some beer with my buddies.

dillon-02.jpg

I have a couple other photos on my web site should anyone be interested...

SINTAX

• 2 weeks later...

**Disclaimer - There isnt any blue in these pictures... and I dont reload handgun but the pictures and ideas here were sooo good that I felt like i should throw mine up for other people incase they can take anything from them. **

Well after lurking on this forum and a couple others I finally took the plunge and ordered some reloading equipment. I didnt buy everything or the most expensive, but I did spend the money where i felt it would pay off over the long haul. My biggest splurge was I did purchase the RCBS Chargemaster combo. Other then that its the Rockchucker Supreme kit w/ a few additionals. Im only reloading rifle... for now... (I can hear you all chuckling).

The bench is VERY rugged 2x6 constuction (except the lower shelf). The top is 2 layers of 3/4" avandtech that has been glued down to the frame and to each other, it also has a 2x6 lip under the plywood where press is mounted. The braces under the plywood are 2x6 that are 1 foot on center and the whole frame is cement screwed to the concrete wall. I got up on it and jumped up an down even on the lip... NO movment... i weight 220lbs :P

Ok guess thats about it... ill post some pictures share now... Oh there are a couple things missing from these pictures before i get in trouble... there is now a pair of saftey glasses haning off the shelves and there is a fire extinquisher just 10 feet behind the bench.

front.JPG

press.JPG

case_prep_powder.JPG

underneath.JPG

books.JPG

Thanks everyone for all the advice and ideas. You guys really make it alot easier to get started and avoid costly mistakes when getting started.

~jake

I am missing the Dillon, but it's coming. I've been loading precision long range rifle and have not started loading the pistol stuff yet. Just ordered my wife a .38SC from Mike at Shooter's Connection today for our first anniversary so it looks like I am going to have to start. I am hoping the Atlanta Arms stuff will work out for us though. Here is my humble reloading room officially dubbed "the Dog House". It's an apartment built on to our garage and gives me plenty of room when I need to get away. It's air conditioned and has a full bathroom. The walk-in closet also dubs as a gun safe. Of course it is all protected by the alarm system with it's own access keypad. It's kind of messy in the pics but you'll get the jest of things.

CIMG2748.jpg

CIMG2747.jpg

CIMG2744.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg