Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16lb vs. 18.5lb Recoil Spring in 5" 45acp

alzo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in all of my pistols, regardless of the # of the mainspring, I run the HEAVIEST recoil spring I can with reliable function. Ideally I want the slide speed as close to zero as possible when it impacts the frame. This gives the least muzzle rise, in my experience. YMMV.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

According to one very well known top shooter; Use the lightest value recoil spring you can and still get 100% feeding reliability. This is optimum for best control when shooting fast. There are two downsides to running a light spring - at some point, it won't have enough energy to reliably shear rounds from the mag and chamber them. The other is increased shock to the frame which may eventually lead to cracking (this can be helped with shok-bufs). He also said to use the lightest slide you can (minimize reciprocating weight). This guidance is from the standpoint of competitive advantage, not reliability.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with recoil springs some in my Wilson Classic.I've been using it mostly for pins,so I've been running book max 231 loads with 200 and 230 grain bullets.I've had a 14 lb spring with new buffer in it for maybe 300 rounds,and when I cleaned it this weekend I noticed that it shredded the buffer.Its looking like I have to step up a couple of pounds for the pin loads.I put a 17 lb mainspring in it as well,seemed to calm down the muzzle rise some.This gun seems to buck a lot harder than the 1991a1 Colt I had.Is that kind of normal for these tight guns?-Mike

In my 5 inch home gun shooting factory hot loads I use a 20lb spring. Shoots good and will function with my 200gr SWC no prob. In my match gun I run a 17lb shooting my 200gr SWC and the only malfunction I have ever had with this set up are the two that got passed me without getting crimped.

Now today I got the idea to put a 14lb spring with one shock buff and with my 200gr SWC and it was not happy. Feeding only from my new wilson mags, trouble with my old wilson mags and bad bad feeding with my Chip MC mags. I will ad that I'm not sure on the right way to use shock buffs as I bought them a while ago and just thought I would try them out today. I slid one shock buff down my guide rod and the put the spring on, is this right??????

Yes,you have the shock buff installed correctly.How many rounds did you shoot and how does your buffer look now with that 14 lb spring?

I shot the first stage with a total of about 24 rounds, I had two FTF during shooting with my wilson mags and would not take the top round off any of my Chip MC mags. The buffer looked fine.

I should add that the stage was four strings which is why I had the chance of switching and ditching mags but all in all it was my falt for changing a working set up right befor a match.

I'm going to give the buffer another shot with my 17# spring.

This may be starting a shock buff veer in the thread, but do you trim your spring when adding the buff? I always wonder if the spring is tearing up the buffs because it isn't designed for the decreased length in guiderod caused by the buff.

I don't use the buffs, myself. No particular reason...

Shooting 178PF. 17# MS. Angle cut FPS. I started with a 16 minus 4 coils. Then tried 14 and liked it. If 14 is good, how about 12.5? Tried it. It shot just a tad (barely noticeable) flatter but I was getting a really strong impulse in the hands compared to the 14. Decided that I like the softer feeling 14. Gun is really flat even with the 14. I just thought that the 12.5 felt really harsh. It was quite noticeable.

What do you guys recommend for a commander size gun shooting factory ammo? I have a S&W 1911sc...no idea what spring is in there at the moment.

I have the same gun and checked with S&W. They stated that it should have a 16# spring.

This may be starting a shock buff veer in the thread, but do you trim your spring when adding the buff? I always wonder if the spring is tearing up the buffs because it isn't designed for the decreased length in guiderod caused by the buff.

I don't use the buffs, myself. No particular reason...

I always cut 3 coils off a new recoil spring anyway,just something an old timer told me to do once.As far as using buffs,I'm not a big believer either,but this gun came with one,so I don't know.I'm thinking I'll put a 16 pounder and a new buffer in this Wilson and see what that does.-Mike

• 1 month later...
For shooting factory 230gr ammo, is there much of a difference in felt recoil between a 16lb recoil spring and an 18.5lb recoil spring in a 5" 1911?

A 2lb reduction in recoil spring weight (from 16 to 14) made a huge difference in my 9mm CZ, and I was wondering if I could expect the same in my 45 going from an 18.5lb to a 16lb.

I'm running a 16.5 lb in my 1911 and it sounds like I really need to go down. Good information.

14#, with EGW firing pin stop and 23# main. I wouldn't fiddle downward much, if the recoil spring is the only change from stock.

I've tried 11# and 12# in my longslide, but it just won't strip the top round from a 10-round mag.

Does anyone know what lb spring comes in a STI Spartan?

From STI:

Q. What is the recoil spring weight in my gun?

A.

As follows:

Compensated pistols 9 pounds

5" 9mm guns 12 pounds

5" .40 S&W guns 14 pounds

5" .45 ACP guns 16 pounds

6" 9mm guns 10 pounds

6" .40 S&W guns 12 pounds

6" .45 ACP guns 14 pounds

BK

Edited by bkeeler

in all of my pistols, regardless of the # of the mainspring, I run the HEAVIEST recoil spring I can with reliable function. Ideally I want the slide speed as close to zero as possible when it impacts the frame. This gives the least muzzle rise, in my experience. YMMV.

In my experience and opinion - and I'm well aware there are other experiences and opinions in the world than mine - the lighter recoil spring has less perceived recoil and muzzle rise. A large part of felt recoil is the slide overcoming the recoil spring as the slide moves to the rear. Lessen the amount of force necessary to do that, you lessen perceived recoil and muzzle rise. This is the same reason I run a lightened mainspring in my 1911s, as well. Make the hammer easier to recock and you also lessen perceived recoil and muzzle rise.

I've been playing with recoil springs some in my Wilson Classic.I've been using it mostly for pins,so I've been running book max 231 loads with 200 and 230 grain bullets.I've had a 14 lb spring with new buffer in it for maybe 300 rounds,and when I cleaned it this weekend I noticed that it shredded the buffer.Its looking like I have to step up a couple of pounds for the pin loads.I put a 17 lb mainspring in it as well,seemed to calm down the muzzle rise some.This gun seems to buck a lot harder than the 1991a1 Colt I had.Is that kind of normal for these tight guns?-Mike

Your Wilson Classic has a tighter match barrel than your stock colt resulting in higher bullet velocities and more felt recoil.

• 4 weeks later...