Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16lb vs. 18.5lb Recoil Spring in 5" 45acp

alzo

So what about running a 14 recoil with a 15 mainspring in a SS .45 ??

I run a 12.5 recoil and a 15 main in my Limited gun and really like the feel ...

Use hard CCi primers with no problems !!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC - FWIW, factory Colt mainsprings are 23 lbs. Pistol primers used to be hard enough to need them...at least in GI ammo.

I did not know that !! So can you still get a 2-3 lbs. trigger pull with a 23 ??

Mine's about 3.5 lbs. You can't have too much mainspring unless the firing pin punctures the primer and sticks in the flash hole. :) Since I use Federal and Winchester primers in my handloads, and use Federal for carry ammo, I might get radical and try a 19 lb. one just to see where I end up.

I remember a long time ago when I picked up my Springfield TRP Professional, it had the 18.5lb recoil spring in it. I thought to my self, it must be better than a 16lb spring. I shot it this way for a lengthy period of time. After some time, I remember watching a Matt Burkett DVD and he talked about recoil springs. What he said stuck with me. Within weeks I tried different springs, to my delight. I couldn't believe the difference in how flat the pistol would shoot. I learned SO MUCH about recoil springs as a result of that little experiment.

It is this shooter experience that the heavier the recoil spring, the more pogo stick like it becomes. The front site is extremely hard to track. The lighter the recoil spring, the flatter shooting the pistol becomes and the front site doesn't move much (if your grip and stance is correct).

I now use a 14lb variable in the 45 single stack TRP Pro. I use an 11# spring in my 6" limited pistol and an 8# in my open pistol.

I also use an aluminum buff on the guide rod in the limited pistol. I use to use a rubber or nylon buff until I talked with Mr. Teddie who explained the whole intertia thing to me. I switched after limited nationals and I like the feel of the new aluma buff.

I guess it boils down to "you don't know what you DON'T KNOW...Try different combinations. Just because it is a heavier spring doesn't always mean it is a better thing to have in the pistol.

I also use an aluminum buff on the guide rod in the limited pistol. I use to use a rubber or nylon buff until I talked with Mr. Teddie who explained the whole intertia thing to me.

Please expand on that. I'm fascinated. Why would a rubber buffer not work, and an aluminum buffer work, with "the whole inertia thing"? What is Mr. Teddie's definition of "the whole inertia thing" and how does the material from which the buffer is made relate to it? Who is Mr. Teddie, for that matter? :lol:

Zerwas, are you shooting factory 230gr ball with a 14# spring? I need to really reevaluate my springs in both 9MM and 45acp. My 9mm functioned flawlessly with a 13# spring. I'll try an 10 &12# next time out. I am using a 15# spring in one of my 45's with 165PF ammo.

I also use an aluminum buff on the guide rod in the limited pistol. I use to use a rubber or nylon buff until I talked with Mr. Teddie who explained the whole intertia thing to me.

Please expand on that. I'm fascinated. Why would a rubber buffer not work, and an aluminum buffer work, with "the whole inertia thing"? What is Mr. Teddie's definition of "the whole inertia thing" and how does the material from which the buffer is made relate to it? Who is Mr. Teddie, for that matter? :lol:

Teddie = Ted Puente

he explained if you took a rubber hammer and smacked it on the ground you'd get a booooiiinnnggg.

if you took an aluminum hammer and did the same you'd get a thud.

i was unsure at first. Then I tried it. In my opinion it does what Ted said it would.

I don't use full 230gr factory loads. I use 200gr bullets loaded to 170-172PF. Hope that helps.