Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16lb vs. 18.5lb Recoil Spring in 5" 45acp

alzo

For shooting factory 230gr ammo, is there much of a difference in felt recoil between a 16lb recoil spring and an 18.5lb recoil spring in a 5" 1911?

A 2lb reduction in recoil spring weight (from 16 to 14) made a huge difference in my 9mm CZ, and I was wondering if I could expect the same in my 45 going from an 18.5lb to a 16lb.

Edited by alzo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a big difference. 18.5 is a LOT of spring for factory 45 hardball. I run a 13 or 14 in a government length 45 gun. 16 is 'normal' for a government gun, 18 is extra power and typical of oversprung guns from the factory.

Wow. I'm surprised that some of you use spring weights so low. I am talking about ammo with a PF of about 195-196. I guess I don't have anything to worry about with a 16lb spring. I look forward to trying it out.

Like some others have said, a 16 lb spring was factory standard for probably 80 years or so before someone got the idea that 18+ lb springs were a good idea.

I run a 14 lb spring with a shok-buff and factory ammo in several 1911s but I don't shoot a lot of factory ammo. A 16 lb spring is definitely safe and you may want to see how a 14 lb spring feels.

I run a 14 lb ismi spring with a buffer tech buff(should i try wilsons everyone else seemsto to use those?) using only factory winchester wite box since I dont yet reload. I tried a 12lb spring and for me it was a little too lite a spring for my set up. I will likely have to drop to lower spring rate when i finally get around to reloading.

LOL I usea a 20-22 lb spring in my 10mm with a buff :)

I use a Wilson 13lb. spring with buffer from 230gr factory ammo to 185gr reloads. A couple of my friends tried it in an indoor range with 230gr factory ammo and cannot believe how much softer it shoots compared to their H&K 45 USP and SIG P220.

• 9 months later...
Does changing the mainspring make a difference in how the recoil spring 'feels'?

Indeed sir, it makes a vast difference. I run a EGW square firingpin-stop with a very strong mainspring. I went to a softer recoil spring and honestly it feels like cheating. The gun feels more like a 9mmP than a 230gr, 45 on a 175PF. I went back to the Chronograph just to make sure that I still was at 175 factor. Obviously it is making a rather big difference to my shooting.

Actually it would have made a bigger difference if I was not completely distracted by the gun shooting so "soft" that I completely forgot about my planned reload. I was running down the corridor thinking that I should have changed the springs long ago. Meanwhile I should have been doing a magazine change. My bubble burst big time when the gun went "click" on the last target. Dumb ass!! :blush:

If the mainspring 'soaks' up some of the recoil force, is there a need to balance the mainspring and recoil spring?

I had the opposite experience switching recoil springs. Stock gun had 18.5# recoil and 22+# ms. I put a 15 & 16# recoil and the sights seemed to lift more. Went back to 16# recoil and 17#ms and gun was much softer, same load mind you. So I was going to try a 14# recoil w/ 17# ms and see if it was better.

I had the opposite experience switching recoil springs. Stock gun had 18.5# recoil and 22+# ms. I put a 15 & 16# recoil and the sights seemed to lift more. Went back to 16# recoil and 17#ms and gun was much softer, same load mind you. So I was going to try a 14# recoil w/ 17# ms and see if it was better.

As a general rule i use as light a recoil spring as the gun will reliably run. Not too worried about sight ( or dot) lift as i am the slide hitting to hard and causing the nose of the gun to dip.

I dont think I would be using an 11-12 lb spring shooting Factory 230gr hardball loads. (830 fps = 190 pf)????

I use 13lb using my reloads @ 739 fps = 170 pf.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

i've heard old schoolers say that the 18 lb spring drives the gun back down better....i personally think it kicks like a horse, but YMMV.......defiinitely don't think 18 will work good w/170- pf, though......

i've heard old schoolers say that the 18 lb spring drives the gun back down better....i personally think it kicks like a horse, but YMMV.......defiinitely don't think 18 will work good w/170- pf, though......

My Commander runs fine with 170 PF ammo and an 18.5 lb. ISMI spring. Don't know about the 5"....haven't shot it since I started loading down to that level. Going off on a tangent, my M&P .45 runs perfectly with the 170 PF ammo and a stock recoil spring too.

I run a 17# recoil spring; full size 1911(s), 172ish pf.

I can't stand the lower wieght recoil springs. For one thing, I like the push of a heavier spring vs the snap of a lighter spring. For another, I want the gun to reliably feed whatever I put in it whether the gun is clean or dirty. Every time I try a lighter # spring I start to get reliabilty issues on top of not liking how it feels. The heavier spring weight feels better to me, and it works regardless of what ammo I'm stuffing in the mags.

It's another one of those subjective things; some folks like it one way, others like another. Experiment and find what works and feels best for you.