Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No More Bo-Mar's?

jpl

I was told by a gunsmith that he can no longer get them either since the guy that runs Bo-Mar was killed in a car accident. I haven't been able to find any news to substantiate it though.

Edited by 03k64

Well then, if this is true then the only choices we have are caspians copy of the Bomar(not bad) or Sti's copy, or I beleive Les Baer also has a copy. On the down side there is the LPA sight(not as good). I hope someone picks up where the others left off as it is still the best all around sight out there.

Had the same experience last week when I tried to place an order for some of their BMCS. None to be had. Same background story. This is really sad and troubling.

I have been using Caspians, and will continue to do so. The new "Champion" BM-1 seems to be a good contender too, and I ordered a few of them.

I was beginning to panic here. I have a limited gun with a bomar cut and have not been able to get a sight.

If you can't track anything else down, Brian sells a Wilson Combat sight that will apparently fit the Bo-Mar cut, and comes close to duplicating the sight. If that doesn't do it, talk to Erik Warren --- he had several gun cut for different sights when he kept breaking Bo-Mars a few years ago....

Quite a few years ago, Wilson started selling his own bomar-knockoff sight. The good thing is - he competely redesigned the whole thing, improving all its weak points in the process. I remember him telling that the production machinist, who was very clever, actually made some improvements that Bill hadn't thought of. The result is a great sight. I started using them right away, and continued to use them until I retired. Every single aspect of Wilson's sight is an improvement over the Bomar. And not only that, you can swap rear blades in about a minute and return to reasonably accurate zero.

MORE INFO HERE.

Back at the LPR Nats one of our group had the elevation screw break on his BOMAR-when he called for a replacement we got the word on what had happened. I have heard some rumors (2nd party) about someone looking into the business. I'll leave it at that. Hope their family is doing ok.

Brian,

My question next becomes, I have noticed there are two slightly different sizes of bomar bmcs sights. The old style is a bit smaller than the new ones. What size are these Wilson ones.

When I say old, I am talking 17 years or so probably

FYI: I had a Wilson (Bo-Mar copy) on my singlestack 40. This spring at Fredericksburg, VA the sight broke in half, the gun had almost exactly 10k through it. I sent the broken sight to Wilson and they shipped me a new one for free.

Finished the match without a rear sight and had a blast!

I picked up a Wilson sight a while back to try out after breaking a few Bomars. After about 2k, the windage screw sheared in half. Wilson sent me a replacement screw no questions asked. The sight itself looks nicer than a Bomar--quality wise, however the notch is bigger than a Bomar. The notch on my Wilson is .128ish, as oppsoed to a .110 Bomar. Nicely made sight, though. I'll keep it as a back-up sight in the parts bag.