Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Wilson Combat ETM SS Magazines

Jeffrey Yao

How much better can it get?? I'm from the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. My 47D's work just fine.

Man, you aint kidding, Im more excited about the coming deals to be had as the equipment chasers dump their 47D's.

I had exactly the same though! :lol:

-ld

A rolling stone gathers no moss. (Really...I saw it on Myth Busters. :) )

Sometimes innovation just comes from the fact that the machine that used to make the product is worn out. The new machine brings change.

Aren't those current mags really Wilson-Rodgers mags? Mabye they wanted to quit sharing?

Maybe the patent is running out and they need a "new thing"?

Who knows. Anybody ???

This, from the old mags on their website:

CHECK OUT THESE IMPORTANT FEATURES:

Aircraft grade stainless heat treated tube

Fiber-Fill nylon self lubricating follower

Maximum tensile strength heavy duty spring

Removable base pad for easy maintenance

No risk service policy (if it breaks, we replace it!)

"Back in 1980, Bill Wilson asked me to test some of his new Wilson-Rogers .45 magazines. He explained that he felt they had solved the problem of cracked feed lips and that their new magazines fed much more reliably than any others on the market. Well, it's 24 years later now and I'm still using some of those original 6 prototype magazines that Bill sent me...Through the years they have proven without a doubt to be the most reliable and durable 1911 magazines on the market. I have personally used specimens from various production runs through the years and have yet to see any quality variation or have one let me down in any way. They are my first and only choice as well as the choice of the elite special forces units I train. I trust my life to a Wilson Combat pistol and 8-round Wilson magazines; so can you..."

Ken Hackathorn

Tactical Shooting Instructor, Gun Writer, IPSC & IDPA Founder

I might as well point out that Brian carries the Wilson gear. Check out the Wison section of his website: http://brianenos.com/pages/wilson.html

I have used the 47D's in my 1911 for years. I would be hard pressed to make a change, because I have never had one malfunction with the pistol. But to think that something better cannot be made would be foolish!

Once you evaluate these mags, please post a thorough review for us to see!

Hi guys,

Not to get off subject, but we just got in a ton of the Gen 2 Cobramags. Now have 4 witness holes on the sides of the mag bodies. The mags are a higher polished stainless as well. Baspads look like the same dimension and the followers look the same, but have not miked them.

• 4 months later...

Wilson 47D's seem to be a great mag in most single stacks, but in my eye's, their downfall is the base pad design and follower - the base pads do not allow for the spring to come out very easily, and the slide stop can get locked up in the follower. For about the same price as 47D's at retail, you can buy Tripp mags, which are a few bucks less than the new Wilson ETM's...

But, I haven't had my hands on an ETM and am a complete SS newbie, so take my thought with a grain of salt...

bought 8rnd and 10 cobra mags,.45 cal. didn't work, sent them back. this is in a 6" caspian i built and my 5" old frankengun. tripp forgot, finally got another pair. they didn't work. sent them back, gimme my $$$. couple of months later, after the refund, 2 more mags arrive, worked over by virgil. thanx alot, but they still don't work. and this is in custom guns that have run wilson mags, worn out springs and followers, bent mag bodies, etc. for 50k+ rds. the tripp mags have strong springs, maybe w/ an 18 recoil spring they might work, but not w'165 pf. wilson mags rule, gotta buy some of the new ones. plus bill rogers is the man.....just my $.02........

I just happen to have a new ETM and a 47D right here in front of my keyboard. Much like the Cobra Mags, the ETM's appear to be purpose built for 8 rounds rather than a modified follower stuffed in a magazine body with the old 7 round dimensions. The mag tube body on the ETM is longer. The ETM's witness cuts are not centered like those on the 47D and the witness cuts are numbered. The magazine body is stamped "45 ACP" and "WILSON COMBAT" the 47D's were never stamped. I'll say that the 45 ACP stamp is a nice addition, especially if you've ever put a 40 single stack mag and a 47D side by side the appear identical if you don't look closely. The ETM has a new flared base pad that is marked in such a way as you may number your magazines. The followers appear the same, however the springs are obviously different for the different internal dimensions of the tube.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody been using these yet that can give some feedback? Does anybody know if the basepads are interchangeable with the #47 basepads (I'm calling later today to find out)? As far as Single Satck Division legality, doesn't it mention in the SS rules that the magazine may not extend beyond flush of the bottom of the gun (sans basepads and magwell etc.). This mag clearly extends beyond, and is longer than the #47s, so is this magazine even legal for SS division?

Has anybody been using these yet that can give some feedback? Does anybody know if the basepads are interchangeable with the #47 basepads (I'm calling later today to find out)? As far as Single Satck Division legality, doesn't it mention in the SS rules that the magazine may not extend beyond flush of the bottom of the gun (sans basepads and magwell etc.). This mag clearly extends beyond, and is longer than the #47s, so is this magazine even legal for SS division?

Only 2 things to remember here, the gun, WITH an empty magazine, CAN NOT weigh more than 43 ounces. AND, it is FINE as long as it fits in the box with that same empty magazine.

And that folks, is all there is to it!!!

The bottom line for me is that the new mag is easier to seat when fully loaded. The tube is a bit longer, sits deeper in the base pad and I guess produces an end result of less tension on the magazine spring. The amount of effort to drive a fresh magazine into place may be as much as half that required for one of the 47D's. So, for me the decision is to whether to adopt the new magazine completely or not. Wouldn't be a good idea for me to mix the two designs for use in a match. My comparison has been the new elite vs. a 47D with a new spring and follower. Both feed equally well.