Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is the 6" limited gun going to be "THE" gun to have

ogiebb

I am in the process of building three "six inchers". One is for myself. For a while now my choice has been a red dot. (After all I AM 57 and try not to wear corrective glasses :blink: )

I will be shooting Limited with it.

A few times I have been asked about the difference between a 5" and a 6". My answer always is:"one inch in overall lenght, everything else is equal". Somehow some shooters are under the misconception that the cycle lenght and timing is different between them. Not quite true. I have a Commander length, a Government legth, and now a "Long-slide that share exactly the same cycle distance with an identical frame and very close timing to each other. Yes the weight goes up with the length, after all mass is mass. But speaking about that mass ... it helps the wrist with the absorption of recoil at major power loads. Ah, but the "perceived" accuracy !!! That is where the longer gun shines. It is true that a well trained shooter will shoot as accurately with a Commander length as with a Long-slide, "if given the time to practice". But for the rest of us "endowed" with "Key West (limp) wrists" and not so great eye sight, well, what can I say: LONGER IS BETTER.

And if they are better for us "old farts", imagine what a young "whipper-snapper" can do with them.

I HEREBY PROPOSE A NEW RULE IN USPSA/IPSC: "NO ONE UNDER 40 YEARS OF AGE IS ALLOWED TO SHOOT A SIX INCHER". (Unless your wife/girlfriend is involved in the Sport !!! :closedeyes: )

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost is the "Key" word Dan. Ain't nothin without pic's. Oh wait I have seen the pic's and you guys will to soon of Bedell's 6" incher....err limited gun that is. I'll be up there in November to build my 6" limited gun....and do some deer hunting too!

I HEREBY PROPOSE A NEW RULE IN USPSA/IPSC: "NO ONE UNDER 40 YEARS OF AGE IS ALLOWED TO SHOOT A SIX INCHER".

I just love this!

Next we get optics allowed in Production for those of us 40+ and in bifocals!

BTW: 6" staring to be a very appealing idea. 'Vision' and 'recoil' are on-going issues. Have to see if the local STI dealer can beg/borrow/steal one for a couple of days of 'T&E' before I consider dropping $$$ on it.

Anyone have one with/shot one a full dustcover, not the short one that everyone seems to get? Just curious how it feels and transitions. If I ever got one made it would have to be with a full length dustcover.

Anyone have one with/shot one a full dustcover, not the short one that everyone seems to get? Just curious how it feels and transitions. If I ever got one made it would have to be with a full length dustcover.

That's the easiest one to build/get. Both STI and SVI make one with full wide dust cover frame and "unique full profile" slide, bull barrel, etc. Or, one can be built to order, to suit your taste. But, as you noticed, the big thing is to make them as light as possible keeping the full length.

Mine has a 5" dustcover and a short 1" stirrup cut (there's pic of it around here somewhere). The gun is about 39 ounces +/- with a 13 ounce slide (complete with sights) and a stainless magwell. To me it doesn't feel much different than my 5" gun but I don't shoot limited very much. My buddy says it feels sluggish compared to his 5" gun. I did shoot my best cold El Prez with it at 5.10 2 points down for a 98.0279%. I have shot El Prez's in the 4.70's with it in practice so it me it transisitions just fine.

Edited by TMC

Benny is working on a 6 inch Fat Free for me as we speak. Should be done maybe at the end of this week. I had him build in 40sw and also build a 9mm top end for it for other games.

Yeah... I am made of money. NOT. My kids don't know it yet but guess what they are getting in the will...... not money :cheers:

Merlin... Please do not rack the slide a 1000 times before I get to have a crack at her...... :lol:

Jerry

Benny is working on a 6 inch Fat Free for me as we speak. Should be done maybe at the end of this week. I had him build in 40sw and also build a 9mm top end for it for other games.

Yeah... I am made of money. NOT. My kids don't know it yet but guess what they are getting in the will...... not money :cheers:

Merlin... Please do not rack the slide a 1000 times before I get to have a crack at her...... :lol:

Jerry

Jerry, dont worry about Merlin, hes off doing hurricane work. I have been reloading for two days, should have almost enough to test fire you pistol.--------------Larry

Jerry

Jerry, dont worry about Merlin, hes off doing hurricane work. I have been reloading for two days, should have almost enough to test fire you pistol.--------------Larry

Bwaaa Haaa Haaa

Outstanding post!!!!

:mellow:

I ve built and had both; Idont care much for the long guns/heavy or lightend ones,Im 63 and my eye sight is good=

what ever you have if ya shoot the heck out of it= its going to be your favorite.

Building a gun and then just shooting it now and then and deciding you want something else just causes

ya to have lots of guns and never figuring out what ya really like or works for ya.

Jim

Sailors Custom :blink:<_<

:mellow:

I ve built and had both; Idont care much for the long guns/heavy or lightend ones,Im 63 and my eye sight is good=

what ever you have if ya shoot the heck out of it= its going to be your favorite.

Building a gun and then just shooting it now and then and deciding you want something else just causes

ya to have lots of guns and never figuring out what ya really like or works for ya.

Jim

Sailors Custom :blink:<_<

Well said.