Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 LIMITED NATIONALS - match underway

dirtypool40

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shot stage 18 today (2nd stage). We were the second squad to shoot it. They were VERY specific about how we were to carry the can. They told us if it came above the belt, it would be a procedural. Wonder if everyone got the same walk-through?

We did. I can see how folks could get dinged. I would have most likely got procedurals, but in the walk through I realized I would have to make sure to extend my arm after the big run. Pretty much an insignificant stage though, as it is only 40 points which is like 2% of the total match points.

One stage 9, that's where people were getting penalized, for pumping their briefcase carrying arm as they ran causing it to rise above the belt line. After the arb, some additonal language was suggested by the arb committee about having to be with in a step of the table before dropping the briefcase is being added (as you would obviously raise it above your beltline as you put the briefcase down).

One adjective: silly.

And here we gamers thought it was going to be about the WHO, not about arm extension.

So has anyone taken notice of that 6" slide atop TJ's gun other than TGO? Do I see a new trend in the coming limited season.

Yup, I got some good pics, in holster and vid in action. He STILL has the flattest Limted gun out there.

Conditions today were sloppy wet and muddy. Poppers would disappear underwater when they fell.

Ron Avery and Shannon SMith were battling all day for top slot in SS #2. Shannon seemed to have a better day overall, with several really smoking runs and only a single drop. DP had some problems today; of six stages there were two mechanical difficulties, 3 slow times, and a brain fade in a pear tree (ran the gun dry on a max trap = MIKE). Overall not really in line with how I've seen him shoot to say the least.

Still everyone seemed to have a blast, and I have great video of all of it. :cheers:

On stage 9, that's where people were getting penalized, for pumping their briefcase carrying arm as they ran causing it to rise above the belt line. After the arb, some additonal language was suggested by the arb committee about having to be with in a step of the table before dropping the briefcase is being added (as you would obviously raise it above your beltline as you put the briefcase down).

And here we gamers thought it was going to be about the WHO, not about arm extension.

Stage 18 has the same stipulation. Silly me, I was focusing on shots and movement in the mucky mud and torrential rain, and instinctively raised my left arm as I always do when shooting one-handed. What did I get for my trouble? 8 procedurals on a 40-point stage.

Silly is just one of the words that went through my mind...

jr

So has anyone taken notice of that 6" slide atop TJ's gun other than TGO? Do I see a new trend in the coming limited season.

6" slides in Limited have been around for years. It's a trend alright. I blame the evil temptations of Benny Hill for this situation :D

the morning squads got absolutely drenched today. My God but it was raining hard. There was so much water in the rain, in many places it was going OVER the top of my ankle high cleats. :surprise:

We got to shoot the stage with the steps in it and man was that treacherous. Bottom step on the way off the steps didn't have any chicken wire on it and it was sliiiiiiiiiipery. I know for sure we lost a couple of seconds, minimum on that stage because hauling ass off the steps was simply not an option.

No biggy, that's the breaks for those of us who had to shoot it in the downpour!

Didn't stick around to watch any of the big dogs shooting, went back to the hotel to dry out and decompress. This is about as tired as I've been after shooting only 6 stages, ever!

The down pour hit us in time for stage 9 the infamous weak hand stage. This was the first time I've shot at targets with the plastic on them. Thankfully I got my hits.

I did put about half the pressure on my trigger needed to drop the hammer while holding the can too high. At the last 1/2 second I drove my arm down and broke the shot. That was just too damn close. I got to really pay attention on the strong hand only stage.

Chris

Today was a sloppy mess and a great opportunity to practice intense focus and concentration. Hopefully tomorrow will be dry. The range won't dry up much but hopefully we won't get any more rain.

The only scoop I heard was production related so you will have to go there to read it. :surprise:

I have really enjoyed this match. I want so a big thank you to Tony Hawkins (Quik Lee/Caspian45). His advise and councel has been invaluable to my approach.

On stage 9, that's where people were getting penalized, for pumping their briefcase carrying arm as they ran causing it to rise above the belt line. After the arb, some additonal language was suggested by the arb committee about having to be with in a step of the table before dropping the briefcase is being added (as you would obviously raise it above your beltline as you put the briefcase down).

Stage 18 has the same stipulation. Silly me, I was focusing on shots and movement in the mucky mud and torrential rain, and instinctively raised my left arm as I always do when shooting one-handed. What did I get for my trouble? 8 procedurals on a 40-point stage.

Silly is just one of the words that went through my mind...

jr

Hey Jim! Want to split the arb fee? :goof: I did the exact same thing! Except my stupidity is wearing my belt two inches lower than my waist like the rule book allows for being female. The whole belt line thing was in response to the arb....not sure that was thought thru. Not that wording to the effect of "arm extended" would make the stage any less silly. <_< According to the RO and my squad, I was at "just" above my belt line with the briefcase; not at my chest, not at my belly button. I don't see where the advantage was in being two inches higher. It wasn't resting on my belt or mags. The point of the stage description should be to force you to shoot WHO or SHO, not to make the RO stare at your belt instead of your gun.

/rant mode off

Think this gets filed under excessive penalties - 80 points in procedurals for a 40 point stage....

I mentioned this in my range diary but I will add it here as well.

I had a crazy malfuntion. I was shooting 4 mini-poppers to finish stage 11 and with one left my gun felt like I shot a 50 BMG out of it. I couldn't get a bullet to go into battery and had to leave the last one standing. After a trip to the safe area it appeared I had cracked the barrel with a double charge.

I took all of the parts to Bob, thank god he was here this week, and had him look at the barrel. Fortunately, it was only a case head failure. It blew the case head completely off and left 3/4 of the case in the chamber. Bob took a chamber reamer and got it out. I was up and running in 15 minutes and back with my squad before the walk through on the next stage.

I had a crazy malfuntion. I was shooting 4 mini-poppers to finish stage 11 and with one left my gun felt like I shot a 50 BMG out of it. I couldn't get a bullet to go into battery and had to leave the last one standing. After a trip to the safe area it appeared I had cracked the barrel with a double charge.

I took all of the parts to Bob, thank god he was here this week, and had him look at the barrel. Fortunately, it was only a case head failure. It blew the case head completely off and left 3/4 of the case in the chamber. Bob took a chamber reamer and got it out. I was up and running in 15 minutes and back with my squad before the walk through on the next stage.

I assume you didn't actually crack the barrel?

Sounds like a little luck fell your way, maybe it will continue and you'll have a superb match!

I just removed a post for trodding all over the following forum rules regarding politics:

"Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Class

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government"

Apologizing in advance, and admitting that you *know* what you are about to post violates the forums guidelines does not get you a free pass. If you know you shouldn't post it, then don't.

Thanks...

Correct. What looked like a crack was actually the remainder of the case that was lodged in the chamber.

I just removed a post for trodding all over the following forum rules regarding politics:

"Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Class

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government"

Apologizing in advance, and admitting that you *know* what you are about to post violates the forums guidelines does not get you a free pass. If you know you shouldn't post it, then don't.

Thanks...

Mea culpa, and apologies...again. I'm fairly new to the sport and this board, and I used a poor example (with no ill intent, mind you) to illustrate the capriciousness of the "straight-arm can-carry" stages. My point will remain, however: this sort of stage introduces subjectivity, which invites judgment calls. I much prefer the objectivity of all the other stages. It either is, or it isn't. When someone has to make judgment calls, someone's going to walk away unhappy.

Carina makes a good observation: per-shot penalties on an 8-shot, 40 point stage? That doesn't strike anyone as excessive?

I'm done whining now. I've learned my lesson, and it's tough noogies for me. If I can't be a good example, at least I can serve as a warning to others!

Good luck to everyone today and tomorrow.

jr

Edited by jimbob_texas

6" slides in Limited have been around for years. It's a trend alright. I blame the evil temptations of Benny Hill for this situation :D

Exept in this case, it is not Benny - Al Zitta of ZM Weapons crafted TJ's 6" slide....it is about a week old.....