Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Ballots Arriving Late

zhunter

OK, now that I got mine, I am gonna send it back Priority Mail. I think it would get there by Sept. 1st anyway, but not taking any chances.

And!!!!!! I DON'T think is was sent out before Aug. 1st either!!!

I am rather pissed off about the fact that it arrived so late. I bet if it was a freakin' bill from dear old Jacobson Jarvis & CO, PLLC it would have arrived BEFORE August 15th!!!

Mine arrived yesterday (8-15-07) and that seems pretty late for a September 1st deadline. Absolutley NO WAY that these were mailed out on August 1st. Sounds like a conspiracy against us Florida folks. I would hope that they will extend the deadline since it is THEIR fault that the ballots are late. :angry:

Edited by L9X25

Not that it would do any good, but IF you get your ballot postmarked at the post office prior to the deadline to return it, it should be counted. At least I would hope we would do that. I got my ballot last week and mailed it out the next day.

Perhaps next year we could, as an organization, request a ddate stamped out going mail? I am not sure, but we are mailing 15,000 plus items, maybe we need to contact the USPS?

Or maybe we could do this a bit differntly, we send out an issue of Frontsight to every member, why not do as the NRA and include the ballot and envelope in the issues sent to the eligible members? Eliminate one mailing. Do it a bit earlier to allow for the bulk processing and the return time. No idea if this is even feasible. Or cost effective or time effective. (comes under the heading of feasible)

And I don't want to hear we need the Supreme Court to count the Florida ballots!

Jim

Any reason why the voting can't be done online ? :blink: I mean this is the 21st century and all.

You & I have internet or I couldn't answer this but not every one wants a computer in their house and we seem to have a lot of them up here 'cause I know at least 6 & I've only been here 9 years.

Or maybe we could do this a bit differntly, we send out an issue of Frontsight to every member, why not do as the NRA and include the ballot and envelope in the issues sent to the eligible members? Eliminate one mailing. Do it a bit earlier to allow for the bulk processing and the return time. No idea if this is even feasible. Or cost effective or time effective. (comes under the heading of feasible)

Not entirely feasible because associate members (don't receive a magazine) wouldn't get a ballot.

Any reason why the voting can't be done online ? :blink: I mean this is the 21st century and all.

There is no reason why we could not vote online for those that requested it. For example, we could register to vote online which would mean that a ballot would not be MAILED to us, we would vote online and those without access to the internet would receive their ballot in the mail in the usual way.

Voting would be through USPSA number and PIN number. So you could only vote once. This is not rocket-science.

But why not send out the ballots, and give those who have internet a choice to cast their vote .... online or on paper.

Because then it would not be a secret ballot.

If using the computer to vote the program that controlled it would first check that your number/password have not been used to vote already. Your vote would then be recorded. Your membership number would be flagged as having voted but if the program was written correctly then no-one would be able to determine who you had voted for. In other words there would be nothing to indicate WHO you voted for.

If you send paper ballots to each person then the auditors have to have some way of determining if you have voted online or not. The only way to do that would be to put your membership number on the paper ballot so they could check online to see if you had already voted via the internet.

So your vote and your number would be known by the auditors and so therefore it would not be a secret ballot.

Just got mine 2 days ago 8-14-2007. I am in Minnesota.

If you look at the paper ballots, they have serial numbers on them. So even the paper is not "secret". I am sure they need to use those numbers to cross reference against your USPSA number to validate that only one vote per member. If there weren't serial numbers, a good printer can make several copies and vote several times. So electronic or paper is the same.

Mine says:

"Presort

Standard

US Postage Paid

Seattle, WA

Permit No. XXXX"

I don't know much about that kind of USPS shipping, so I've gotta ask:

Isn't that presort standard like bulk mail? Hope the sender is not billig us (USPSA) for a first class mailing... <_<