Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a Limited gun

Xfactor

I like the STI Edge, but am open to other considerations within the 2011 frame configuration. Wanna keep it under $2000 out the door, although I could see myself tweaking and modding a bit down the road...

BTW, does anyone shoot/recommend the STI TruSight? Is the design really an advantage, or is it just a goofy looking alternative?

There was a really good priced limited gun in the classifieds, Bseevers is selling. Never mind it has been sold.

For that price I would go to our dealer section and look around. I'm pretty sure you can buy a tuned edge for that price or they may have some trade ins laying around.

STI Edge plus a stainless steel magwell and a DP .100" front sight..... you'll get the best gun on the market with less $!

the Trusight...this gun seems to be like the SVI with ribbed barrel... but looks less nice.... I will stay on the Egde of course! ;)

Edited by Josh Biondi

From the factory I'd PROBABLY :rolleyes: go, either 6" Eagle with narrow dustcover and bushing barrel or 5" Eagle with bull and wide SHORT dust cover. No more long wides for me.... for now. :unsure:

There ain't no right, only what you're in the mood for when you buy. Have fun, look for used. :cheers:

Edited by dirtypool40

Shoot a 6" gun before you buy. Kick in some more money and get a Fat Free from Benny at Triangle, it is WELL worth the difference and waiting to save a little more money if that is what it takes.

For $2k should be about right for a new one, of course by the time you add mags and other gear you will be above your $2K price. A blue Edge is $1686 from Dawson and his "Super Tune" is another $150. I think Benny Hill and Brazos Custom have similar prices and packages, not sure about Bedell.

I have both an Eagle and an Edge in 5", can't really say which I like better. The stock Eagle is a lighter gun than the Edge, with a tungsten guide rod and a steel magwell it weighs about the same as an Edge.

Another option might be to look at used guns. If you you are patient, there are some really great deals that come along, even on guns from the top names like Dawson, Benny Hill, Brazos Custom, Dan Bedell and others. There is always a risk buying used, but if you buy off the Enos classifieds or the USPSA classifieds and ask the right questions you are usually going to come out with a good gun. Some sellers will give you a short inspection period as well. I have bought two Open and two Limited guns used and am very satisfied with them all.

I'm not crazy about a heavy, escially a nose heavy, gun, like the Site TRacker or Tru-Site. Neat idea, but I don't think there's much there. To each their own. That's why Baskin Robbins makes more than just Vanilla.

Actually the sight tracker shouldn't weigh much more than a regular bull barel gun. The weight is in the barrel and not the slide but there isn't any more weight. I'm still pretty much into the short frame "Classic" slide guns with a tungsten guide rod except I just like the feel of my 5" FAT FREE the best. I haven't been shooting it lately. It has 114,000 rounds through it and the second barrel won't last much longer. Transitions are great with the lighter gun.

How about a Glock 24?

They are incredibly easy to shoot and well under you $2000 price limit.

With a good set of mags, sights, guide rod and spring, magwell, and drop in trigger gar you are less than $1000. You can spend the other grand on ammo.

If you don't mind a heavier pistol and aren't deadset on the 1911/2011 platform I really like my CZ TS. With magwell, aluminum grips, hammer and action job by Angus was about $1,500. Sweet, sweet trigger at around 1 1/2 pounds, nice recoil and reliable as an anvil. It is a bit heavy and some won't like that as it is slower in transitions. The price point was really attractive to me, particullarly by the time I added in holster, mags, this, that, the other thing....

(This advice from a newer shooter trying to work his way up to C so take the advice for what it is worth!)

I think everyone's first S_I should be a low to mid-mileage *used* pistol built by a gunsmith of known repute from a owner of known repute from either the classifieds here or on the USPSA site. It is highly likely that you will get a gun that runs and runs well. Shoot that gun for one season. Then you'll know exactly what you do and don't want when you go to spend new money on a heater.

My 2....

Edited by EricW

Don't forget the Para Ord. , I know it's not "THE" limited gun like most would have you believe the S_I's are. I have been shooting mine for over 10 years ... no mag problems, and gun runs great. Prices aren't bad either , comparatively speaking.

I think everyone's first S_I should be a low to mid-mileage *used* pistol built by a gunsmith of known repute from a owner of known repute from either the classifieds here or on the USPSA site. It is highly likely that you will get a gun that runs and runs well.

This was the exact route I took and it could not have worked out any better for me. I would only add, get tuned mags or mags that have worked well with the gun your buying. In my case the gun and mags have been flawless, it is great when all you have to do is think about how you want to shoot a stage and not worry about whether the gun is going to run.

Shoot that gun for one season. Then you'll know exactly what you do and don't want when you go to spend new money on a heater.

I had never shot a gun with Swenson Safeties and I didn't really liked the look of the Swenson safeties that came on my gun. Now I will not have a gun without a set of Swenson Safeties with the thumb shields.

Edited by Craiger

I had never shot a gun with Swenson Safeties and I didn't really liked the look of the Swenson safeties that came on my gun. Now I will not have a gun without a set of Swenson Safeties with the thumb shields.

I thought the same thing. Then I broke two. I prefer the Kreb's style shield now.

I have two SV Sight Trackers that I shoot in Limited. I just picked up a Tanfoglio Limited to use when shooting 3 Gun Matches. I want to save the wear and tear on the SVs. The gun is impresive right out of the box. The trigger in mine is excellent and needs no work. I changed the front sight insert to the fiber optic that came with the gun and changed the recoil spring to the 10 lb one that also came with the gun. Shot a few rounds through it today, recoil control is excellent probably due to the steel frame. Sight tracks straight up and down. The additional weight is not noticed as the gun is very well balanced. All parts are well fit and tight. Accuracy is also very good. I was shooting my normal load Zero 180 gr JHP, 5.0 gr N-320, 1.180 OAL. ( I got the mags that will handle the longer rounds). Mag capacity 21 + 1 reloadable.

I just picked up a Tanfoglio Limited to use when shooting 3 Gun Matches. I want to save the wear and tear on the SVs. The gun is impresive right out of the box. The trigger in mine is excellent and needs no work.

I also shoot one of these guns and love it. I've owned every flavor of 19/2011 there is pretty much, and I prefer this format by far. In fact, my second one should be arriving soon. It's an awful lot of gun for the money and with the polygonal hammer forged barrel, it really shoots. I've done some trigger work on it to get it exactly to my taste but then, I've never not done trigger work on any gun I've owned so it's to be expected. But the (pivoting)triggers on these things turn out amazing!

Good luck with your choice.

buy a stainless SV sightracker and you will only have to buy a gun once. With the right load and springweights in the gun it has very little muzzle flip. You can also get a 9mm barrel for it and shoot steel matches with cheaper ammo. The interchangeable breechface makes caliber conversions take about 5 minutes.